Trust in Tony

Banned
Aug 17, 2014
Worthing
Press Release
By Chris Appleton, 21st Aug 2014

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email
Barnton welcome marquee signing

Barnton FC are absolutely delighted to announce and welcome to the club former Swansea City and Brighton & Hove Albion striker Leon Knight.

Knight, who began his career at Chelsea, also lists Sheffield Wednesday, Milton Keynes Dons, Barnsley and Rushden & Diamonds amongst his former clubs, and it's the latter where his link with Barnton boss Andy Burgess came about. Both played for the club in 2008-09 season and Burgess tapped into his former team mate to add to Townfield's fire power.

A major transfer coup for The Villages, Leon, still only 31, scored the winner in the 2004 League One Play Off Final to send Brighton to promotion. A hat trick on his Swansea debut and a number of England caps at U19 and U20 level demonstrate the enormity of the signing, and Knight himself his relishing the challenge. "When Burge came into contact and asked me to come in and help the club out, I had no hesitation. I am based in the North West now so the location is good and Andy and myself always got on well and we have a mutual respect. I intend to do what I've done all my career, score goals. I'm looking forward to it!"

Burgess added, "We've had a fair few injuries already and I am always looking to progress and add to us. Without a doubt, Knighty is the highest profile player in the division and I've no doubt whatsoever he will score me goals. It's a testament to his love of the game that he's agreed to come in and help me out and I think we will see the best of him. He was outstanding when I played alongside him at Rushden, on and off the pitch he's a real character and he will add to Barnton Football Club as a whole. I cant wait to see him in the shirt!"

Knight will go straight into the squad for Saturday's home fixture against Daisy Hill at Townfield. 3pm kick off, tickets are £5 for adults, £2 concessions.

 Comments
Add a Comment »
Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!

League News
View All »
The North West Counties Football League
The North West Counties Football League
North West Youth Alliance
Cammell Laird 1907 FC, 31 minutes ago
YOUTH HIT SIX IN WIN 
Barnton AFC, 2 hours ago
Press Release
Maine Road Football Club, 7 hours ago
First Victory for Roads First Team 
Widnes Football Club, 8 hours ago
Widnes FC Show Support For Prostate Cancer UK 
Oldham Boro Football Club, 9 hours ago
OLDHAM BORO TO PLAY AT SEEL PARK 
Barnton AFC, 11 hours ago
Barnton Vs Daisy Hill

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Daisy Hill are going to SMASH Barnton, Leon Knight red card...it's written in the stars!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
No reason not to wish him well... On his day, a helluva player.
Let's hope he's tamed some of his demons and gets an Indian summer.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The Barnton main stand
x8BZmS9.jpg

The Kop
Townfield%u00252B%285%29.JPG

The stadium itself. Oh Leon!
Townfield%u00252B%286%29.JPG

He didn't serve us to his true ability no matter what other people may claim otherwise. But I don't wish him badly at all - we have had our revenge 100 times over and it's cruel to wish anything more on him

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
No reason not to wish him well... On his day, a helluva player.
Let's hope he's tamed some of his demons and gets an Indian summer.

whilst i basically agree with this, i will freely admit to a small part of me finding the thought of his ego handling playing at that level quite amusing. it'll probably end messily and it'll probably be funny but i really do hope he proves me wrong.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've always been of the opinion that we arsed up not keeping Chris Iwelumo. Appeared to have a relationship with Knight, meaning we would squeezed an extra season out of him.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Padded seats as well

VMf0YAk.jpg

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
He'll be sacked by October, or they'll have terminated his contract 'by mutual consent'.

What a waste of a former talent; from Chelsea down to this in 12 years, via a dozen other clubs, due to his attitude problem and bell-end behaviour.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Where's THPP? 'Leon Knight, he's alright'? :thumbsup:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He'll be sacked by October, or they'll have terminated his contract 'by mutual consent'.

What a waste of a former talent; from Chelsea down to this in 12 years, via a dozen other clubs, due to his attitude problem and bell-end behaviour.

I see it the other way and think he did amazingly well for some chippy hyped up wannabe gangster . Could easily of not reached the heights he did .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here