Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn Rovers confirm Hull City's Rhodes bid

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I found this a particularly cheerful comment:

Unfortunately we cannot reinvest even £2m in the squad whilst carrying a loss of £30m+. Thats the whole idea of FFP I'm afraid. We can only spend within our means on the proviso that we carry a maximum annual loss of just £3m. Therefore all the money received for Rhodes will be used in an attempt to convince the FFP administrators that whilst we are non-compliant we are taking steps to reduce the deficit and work towards becoming self sufficient within the next two transfer windows as the club have already planned.

This is all expected. The reason Rhodes was offered the contract extension only a month ago was to ensure that we receive a decent amount for the player after we settle what we owe to Huddersfield Town which is a basic £4m plus 20% of any future add-on. We can then expect to come out with £4m, plus a saving of £2m per year on salary. I'm afraid to say we can no longer turn down this kind of money.

The big worry now is that we will struggle for consistency given that Rhodes goals have pretty much singlehandedly kept us in the Championship for 2 years running. Who will step up and become our 25 goal a season striker? Luke Varney? Chris Brown?

I believe we are now entering the choppy waters of sh*t creek and we've just lost our paddle.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Therefore all the money received for Rhodes will be used in an attempt to convince the FFP administrators that whilst we are non-compliant we are taking steps to reduce the deficit and work towards becoming self sufficient within the next two transfer windows as the club have already planned.
Don't Blackburn understand the niceties of FFP ? If they've overspent in 2013/2014 they cannot beg for leniency.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I found this a particularly cheerful comment:

Unfortunately we cannot reinvest even £2m in the squad whilst carrying a loss of £30m+. Thats the whole idea of FFP I'm afraid. We can only spend within our means on the proviso that we carry a maximum annual loss of just £3m. Therefore all the money received for Rhodes will be used in an attempt to convince the FFP administrators that whilst we are non-compliant we are taking steps to reduce the deficit and work towards becoming self sufficient within the next two transfer windows as the club have already planned.

This is all expected. The reason Rhodes was offered the contract extension only a month ago was to ensure that we receive a decent amount for the player after we settle what we owe to Huddersfield Town which is a basic £4m plus 20% of any future add-on. We can then expect to come out with £4m, plus a saving of £2m per year on salary. I'm afraid to say we can no longer turn down this kind of money.

The big worry now is that we will struggle for consistency given that Rhodes goals have pretty much singlehandedly kept us in the Championship for 2 years running. Who will step up and become our 25 goal a season striker? Luke Varney? Chris Brown?

I believe we are now entering the choppy waters of sh*t creek and we've just lost our paddle.

Although I know bugger all about their club other than what is in the press, that looks a pretty fair assessment.

With the way their losses are piling up it's difficult to see a) how they reject a good (2nd/3rd perhaps) offer and b) how they can reinvest much of it back

Hanging on to their Championship status may become more of an objective than trying to get back up

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Rhodes is a cracking player

He's good, yes. But how many expensive British players have delivered like Rhodes has done? I just predict that if Blackburn sell, they'll end up spending a lot of money for an Assombalonga type of player, who won't be all that.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Rhodes is a penalty box player. His contribution to general play is generally nil, I think he will end up flopping in the PL. The fact that thus far nobody has taken a punt on him speaks volumes.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Rhodes is a penalty box player. His contribution to general play is generally nil, I think he will end up flopping in the PL. The fact that thus far nobody has taken a punt on him speaks volumes.

A pretty damn good penalty box player ( thats all Gary Lineker was! ) who will receive better quality service in the PL. Fifty plus goals in the last two seasons and even more for Huddersfield before that indicates he will score at any level. He is a natural, with good positional sense. Pencil him in for 15 goals a season in the PL, whoever he plays for.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
If Hull end up paying less than they received for Shane Long then this will be a very good bit of business for them - swapping a striker who doesn't score for one who does.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Im really looking forward to seeing Rhodes at a club like Hull.

Him and Jelavic could be really exciting. Bruce is building a good team there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here