Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do loans cost?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is.......

Presumably there's a salary element involved, for Bennett would we pay it all or would we set our 'ceiling' at £10k as per Bridge and Ward?

Do we pay Villa a loan fee?

I guess depending on the above, we must have a fair proportion of the money left for a permanent purchase of a forward, with the remainder going to FFP :shrug:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why would you pay a fee up front when you are effectively given other clubs youngsters valuable game time?

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why would you pay a fee up front when you are effectively given another clubs youngsters valuable game time?

Fair point, I really don't know, hence the thread......

If I'm honest until Bridge, I never really liked loans, and have always felt that teams should live or die on what they have.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Impossible to answer, each individual deal is different. Some involve fees, others do not. Some involve paying 100% of the players wages where the odd one they do not have to pay anything.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I guess each is different. It's being widely reported today that Manu are paying all of nani's wages whilst he is at sporting lisbon this season...a cool €6m.

I think our loan strategy is excellent. So long as they are season long (so that the player is properly part of the squad). We are getting high quality players at low cost.

When you hear ewe rossler saying that Wigan are struggling to find a top drawer striker as forest and Fulham have inflated the market to 8m+ we need to save all our funds for that purchase.

Oh and I'm not saying we need to spend all the money on a striker. If we can unearth a gem for 2m, mores the better.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Impossible to answer, each individual deal is different. Some involve fees, others do not. Some involve paying 100% of the players wages where the odd one they do not have to pay anything.

This. Absolutely impossible to say. The loaning club have the benefit of their player getting game time, the player should benefit because he is getting game time and the club borrowing the player benefit because they (should) get a player better than what they have. The rest is down to who wants what most. If you want better players then you are likely to contribute more to their salary however, I heard today that Nani is being loaned out for a season and Manure are paying 100% of his wages of about £6m. Horses for courses so to speak.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
Loans cost me £3, although all rental shops near me have closed :D

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember reading or hearing journalists discuss a loan deal that was structured such that the borrowing team would have to pay a greater percentage of the players wages if they didn't use him for a match, to encourage them to use him, but not oblige them to play him every game. I don't remember which player that was though. And another deal (or possibly the same one) where the borrowed player came in a package deal with medical staff or coaching staff.

As others have said, the deals vary as much as any other transfer.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought premiership clubs had become a bit more savvy on the way they were loaning players out and asking for all there salary to be paid by the other club

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Varies literally from one deal to the next.

There can be different wage percentages involved (including a sliding scale whereby the more the player plays, the less of a wage percentage the loaning club pays - see Deulofeu at Everton last season), an upfront fee involved, a monthly fee involved or no fee at all involved.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
It seemed like last season most of the loan players we had, were selected for every match when they were fit.
So I presume a lot of the loaning clubs like to see their players get valuable match time, and contribute more to the wages when that happens?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here