Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex v Glamorgan Royal London 1 day Cup Today Hove

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dead rubber for both teams but on the announcement of the england one day squad to face india have they missed a trick by not including Wright ? he is at it again today currently 73 off 69 balls , when asked if he still had any aspirations England wise ,Luke replied i just want to concentrate on nailing my spot down at sussex , and said since he has stopped bowling his batting has improved out of sight .

Sussex are 128-1 after 24 overs .

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Dead rubber for both teams but on the announcement of the england one day squad to face india have they missed a trick by not including Wright ? he is at it again today currently 73 off 69 balls , when asked if he still had any aspirations England wise ,Luke replied i just want to concentrate on nailing my spot down at sussex , and said since he has stopped bowling his batting has improved out of sight .

Sussex are 128-1 after 24 overs .

Truthfully I think Wright's had more than enough chances internationally and he just isn't quite good enough. Top county player but never going to dominate on the international stage. If England could trust him for 10 overs a match it might be a different story.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think his batting has been incredible since he gave up bowling. Shame he's not been picked, but we seem very keen to pick people who can bat and bowl at the moment. I'm guessing they're going to rely on Stokes and either Woakes or Ali as either 5th or 6th bowlers. If that's the case then it doesn't leave a lot of room for fringe batsman, which unfortunately Wright is. You're probably only looking at 5 batting spots with Cook, Bell, Hales, Morgan, Ballace and Root fighting it out. All of a sudden that looks a tough group to break into. In my opinion though, I think he'd be a better punt than Morgan (just my sussex biased opinion).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Truthfully I think Wright's had more than enough chances internationally and he just isn't quite good enough. Top county player but never going to dominate on the international stage. If England could trust him for 10 overs a match it might be a different story.

Agree with that. A few seasons ago his bowling looked very promising but it never quite got good enough to make him a proper all-rounder. However you can't really question his batting domestically in the last two years.

I'm just hoping our scummy Oval friends don't try and pinch him in the winter

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

Cant argue any of that , and Sussex would be in a right state this season without his contributions thats for sure .

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think his batting has been incredible since he gave up bowling. Shame he's not been picked, but we seem very keen to pick people who can bat and bowl at the moment. I'm guessing they're going to rely on Stokes and either Woakes or Ali as either 5th or 6th bowlers. If that's the case then it doesn't leave a lot of room for fringe batsman, which unfortunately Wright is. You're probably only looking at 5 batting spots with Cook, Bell, Hales, Morgan, Ballace and Root fighting it out. All of a sudden that looks a tough group to break into. In my opinion though, I think he'd be a better punt than Morgan (just my sussex biased opinion).

I think Morgan's lucky to still be in the squad, they dropped Bopora and he was England's one-day player of the year last year and offers a lot more than the smart arse reverse sweep dismissal

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I think Morgan's lucky to still be in the squad, they dropped Bopora and he was England's one-day player of the year last year and offers a lot more than the smart arse reverse sweep dismissal

I forgot about Bopara. He's been so unlucky not to get called up. I have to say I think Morgan could also be guilty of having a lot of chances without ever seizing them. He manages to keep sticking in there with a half decent knock here or there, but he just strikes me as too inconsistent at international level.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I see Murray Goodwin is in the side for Glamorgan today.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

I presume you mean internationally as a 50 over player, isn't he still in the England T20 set-up?

Shame he has given up his bowling, I suspect a lot of potential all-rounders who can go for T20 loot will choose the batting option.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I presume you mean internationally as a 50 over player, isn't he still in the England T20 set-up?

Shame he has given up his bowling, I suspect a lot of potential all-rounders who can go for T20 loot will choose the batting option.

Mainly referring to ODI but I'm not really sure I'd have him in the T20 side. He's flattered to deceive .

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Luke Wright gone for 127

249/3 from 40.5

Currently going along at 13 runs an over :clap2:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron