Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This weekend I went to a Premier League Match

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
West Ham vs Tottenham

And in the last season at Upton Park, I though it might be interesting to see how our matchday experience compared to theirs.

Transport: Pretty good, though they do have the advantage of the Underground. A bit of a bottleneck when changing at West Ham station that took 10 minutes of unneccessary shoving to get through. Getting home after a beer in the local pub was child's play. West Ham win

Catering: Awful - Drinks options were canned or bottled only and £4.20 upwards, the only food option on our closest bar to us were hot dogs at close to a fiver. They ran out quickly. Brighton win.

Atmosphere: I was sat next to the West Ham standing fans and the Spurs section. Was expecting it to be ridiculously loud, however, considering it was one of their biggest derbies it was no louder than Brighton vs a side that brings a big away following. Home fans didn't take long at all to get on their team's back, there's no doubting their passion though. Draw

Entertainment: It was one of the worst games I've seen in a long, long time. West Ham are simply horrible to watch, Spurs seemed pretty lethargic as well. Brighton win

Pricing: My ticket was a freebie but I nearly fell over when a fan I was talking to told me the cheapest day ticket for a Category A game is an eye watering £60. Brighton win

Stewarding: Pretty much the same mix of trouble making idiots and great people. The West Ham crowd were noticably more disobient though. Draw

Conclusion - our match day experience is PLR

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
West Ham vs Tottenham

And in the last season at Upton Park, I though it might be interesting to see how our matchday experience compared to theirs.

Transport: Pretty good, though they do have the advantage of the Underground. A bit of a bottleneck when changing at West Ham station that took 10 minutes of unneccessary shoving to get through. Getting home after a beer in the local pub was child's play. West Ham win

Catering: Awful - Drinks options were canned or bottled only and £4.20 upwards, the only food option on our closest bar to us were hot dogs at close to a fiver. They ran out quickly. Brighton win.

Atmosphere: I was sat next to the West Ham standing fans and the Spurs section. Was expecting it to be ridiculously loud, however, considering it was one of their biggest derbies it was no louder than Brighton vs a side that brings a big away following. Home fans didn't take long at all to get on their team's back, there's no doubting their passion though. Draw

Entertainment: It was one of the worst games I've seen in a long, long time. West Ham are simply horrible to watch, Spurs seemed pretty lethargic as well. Brighton win

Pricing: My ticket was a freebie but I nearly fell over when a fan I was talking to told me the cheapest day ticket for a Category A game is an eye watering £60. Brighton win

Stewarding: Pretty much the same mix of trouble making idiots and great people. The West Ham crowd were noticably more disobient though. Draw

Up until last night, there would be quite a few people on here that would challenge your "Entertainment" verdict. In fact, quite a few of them probably still will!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The prem experience must be a bit of a let down when the majority of the teams aren't hoping for anything other than mid-table. It's even worse that any team who achieves better than their expectations just gets bought out the following summer. There's definetly aspects to the lower leagues which are better than the prem, excitement being one of them.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
West Ham vs Tottenham

Were you in with the home fans ? Last time I travelled to West Ham (can't remember the score for some reason), I seem to recall they had miles of barriers up around the station. As away fans we approached the barriers from the wrong direction, which meant we had to walk back past all the home fans to reach the back of the ever expanding queue.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Were you in with the home fans ? Last time I travelled to West Ham (can't remember the score for some reason), I seem to recall they had miles of barriers up around the station. As away fans we approached the barriers from the wrong direction, which meant we had to walk back past all the home fans to reach the back of the ever expanding queue.

I was in with the home fans. The transport was excellent I thought.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Greg Bobkin;6523307... said:
a fan I was talking to told me the cheapest day ticket for a Category A game is an eye watering £60

Crikey! That's literally within pennies of the cheapest A game seat at Gilette Stadium for the New England Patriots... and they only have 8 home games a seasom.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Last weekend I went to a Rymans Premier League Match

Lewes v Billericay

Transport: Parked within two minutes walk of the stadium for £1.70 for three hours. The queueing at the train station ( a minutes walk from the stadium was minimal). LEWES WIN

Catering: While I didn't eat, the burger I had last year was excellent, and the smell of chips was fantastic. I had a Harvey's for £3.20 hand poured by one of the owners, it was excellent. A lot of choice to in drinks all for about £3.30-60 a pint. LEWES WIN

Atmosphere: I stood just behind the goal in the grandstand. I was surrounded by Billericay fans in the first half who were very loud, if very drunk and mindlessly stupid. However they moved at half time and I was surrounded by passionate Lewes ultras. It was a better atmosphere than I can remember in the last two seasons. LEWES WIN

Entertainment: A fantastic free-kick by Billericay's rotund(and ex QPR and Leicester) striker was the one moment of excellence. The team I was supporting dithered around with no real end product. Much like the week before DRAW

Pricing: £11 to get in LEWES WIN

Stewarding: I was wished 'Good afternoon', LEWES WIN

Conclusion - our match day experience has a way to before being RPL ready

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Chez Nitram, some Turkish side v Arsenal

Transport
Bit of a doddle parked outside, would have been in my seat straight away but a cat had to be evicted, otherwise smooth journey. Chez Nitram win.

Catering
Bit of a let down, repeated requests for a pie or burger were met with indifference from the woman in charge, "Get you own you lazy git". Not impressed but I am used to this level of service. After a long wait a packet of crisps was hurled in my direction, just dodged the can of coke. Draw.

Atmosphere.
A bit tense to be honest, a few sat near me kept chanting "when's corrie on", "how much longer do we have to put up with this, nothing's happening". Frankly it was quite miserable on and off the field. Draw.

Entertainment
No goals scored by the Arsenal so similar to the Albion, however was able to get an internet connection and surf the web. Win Chez Nitram.

Pricing
Free on ITV so a bit of a result. Win Chez Nitram.

Conclusion
I need to get out more.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here