Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rosler says it's tough for Wigan financially

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's got a point though - the money changing hands in the Championship is pretty crazy these days.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
If they don't bounce back this year they will be in trouble....No sympathy. They had large parachutes last year and still get some this year, so they benefit from being in position 4-6 of the most funded teams....:wozza:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
He's got a point though - the money changing hands in the Championship is pretty crazy these days.

I agree the money is crazy, I just object to one of the clubs getting parachute payments saying how hard it is for them financially.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
"We have less income than last year and we have to adapt more and more to life in the Championship, but still push to win promotion."

and???

I have always thought he has come across as an intelligent and canny fellow but he's not thinking straight if that article is true.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
They will be completely buggered when they lose them as they don't have any fans.

15,000 average is not too shabby, given it is a traditional rugby league town and the number of top clubs they have nearby. I know you were only really making a point about whether they should be competitive at this level, but their success, looks like it may have bought them some fan loyalty - plenty of clubs I would rather slag off to be honest.

D

Deleted member 22389

What with Wigan paying out on premiership wages, and now getting less money by staying in the Championship for another season, they have got a problem on their hands.
I think the key is to get straight back to the Premier league after coming down, otherwise it's a downward spiral after that. The longer you stay in the Championship as an ex premier league team, the more money it costs you.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Shirley the answer is for the clubs to have better contracts which allow players to leave if Relegation occurs or accept that if they stay to 'see out' their contract a reduced wage will be imposed etc ?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Shirley the answer is for the clubs to have better contracts which allow players to leave if Relegation occurs or accept that if they stay to 'see out' their contract a reduced wage will be imposed etc ?

I've always wondered about that, why clubs don't have clauses that say if they're relegated then a player's wages are reduced or players are released or put up for sale at knock down prices. I would have thought it was a must for any club outside the top 6. Maybe it's greed, maybe clubs don't want to get rid of big earners for no money. But for example if Birmingham had released Zigic on relegation, they could have avoided paying 50k a week in wages for several years, thats got to be better?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Basically, if they come out of it fvcked then what hope have we got? For those deriding Wigan now, consider the facts for their last 10 years. They spent 8 years in the top flight, and while they were there they appeared to run their club well, picking up some sizeable transfer fees along the way and winning the FA Cup.

Their record fee spent is still only £6.5 million (Aug 2010 - Mauro Boselli) while they've consistently done good business, i.e. £16 million for Antonio Valencia, James McCarthy £13.5 million, Baines £6.6 million, N'Zogbia £9.5 million, Victor Moses £10million, Palacios £13.2 million, Aroune Kone £5million, Chimbonda £4.5 million.

They've also had a sensible chairman and some decent managers in Jewell, Bruce and then Martinez. This is not a Blackburn, Pompey or Leeds - this is a well-run club, and they've still come out of it with the cupboard bare and the dream of Prem football a distant memory.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Basically, if they come out of it fvcked then what hope have we got? For those deriding Wigan now, consider the facts for their last 10 years. They spent 8 years in the top flight, and while they were there they appeared to run their club well, picking up some sizeable transfer fees along the way and winning the FA Cup.

Their record fee spent is still only £6.5 million (Aug 2010 - Mauro Boselli) while they've consistently done good business, i.e. £16 million for Antonio Valencia, James McCarthy £13.5 million, Baines £6.6 million, N'Zogbia £9.5 million, Victor Moses £10million, Palacios £13.2 million, Aroune Kone £5million, Chimbonda £4.5 million.

They've also had a sensible chairman and some decent managers in Jewell, Bruce and then Martinez. This is not a Blackburn, Pompey or Leeds - this is a well-run club, and they've still come out of it with the cupboard bare and the dream of Prem football a distant memory.
Shows how messed up football is now that tv is the driving force.

D

Deleted member 22389

This is why we have the academy. You get the players on your terms, and you don't have to pay a transfer fee for them.
And yes looking at how Wigan have been careful, it really just shows how badly run football is.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I remembered hearing that no player will sign a contract with a wage reduction for relegation, they would rather walk away because they know the clubs have the finances in parachute payments to pay them off for the last 2-4 years. Of course the same players will gladly accept a 50% increase on promotion should the club get it because they will claim they earned it from their performances, well you deserve a pay cut because its your performances that got your team relegated.

I think it will be the next big thing to change to come in line with FFP. Lower wages but a performance related pay bonus at the end of the season. get promoted to the PL and you can have a 500k bonus but your wage will be 10k a week and not 20k. Stay up the next season and you can have 1m bonus but you still only earn 10k a week instead of 30k

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've always wondered about that, why clubs don't have clauses that say if they're relegated then a player's wages are reduced or players are released or put up for sale at knock down prices. I would have thought it was a must for any club outside the top 6. Maybe it's greed, maybe clubs don't want to get rid of big earners for no money. But for example if Birmingham had released Zigic on relegation, they could have avoided paying 50k a week in wages for several years, thats got to be better?

Problem is employment lawyers would have a field day if something like that was put into a contract and what player would want to sign a contract like that

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think it will be the next big thing to change to come in line with FFP. Lower wages but a performance related pay bonus at the end of the season. get promoted to the PL and you can have a 500k bonus but your wage will be 10k a week and not 20k. Stay up the next season and you can have 1m bonus but you still only earn 10k a week instead of 30k

I agree with this, exactly how the majority of salesmen/women are paid, they get their basic retainer and the rest of their salary is performance related, when times are good they get big bonuses when time are bad they don't but they still get their basic salary

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yep, have heard it said on a number of occasions that players generally won't sign contracts with relegation clauses (at least, not the good ones).

They love performance-related pay, footballers, but only when it works in their favour.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Because it reduces your chances of attracting quality players in the first place I imagine. If a player is offered a 3 year deal but with a clause that cuts his wages in half if the team get relegated, it's going to be less attractive than a similar deal with no relegation clause from another club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here