Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ISIS Crisis: About Time Too Dave

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just a shame that we supported the toppling of Assad, and to a large degree we gave ISIS the platform and time to expand and grow in confidence. It sort of gives us a clue to how we got things so wrong with Gaddafi in Libya, as this will be strategic target for an opening to ISIS to use as a stepping stone into North Africa.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Can anyone tell me why it's not possible for the US with its sophisticated military equipment to take out most of the IS forces in one or two air raids. Surely they know from satellite pictures are where these scum-bags are situated. Just extinguish them all. No questions asked.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Just a shame that we supported the toppling of Assad, and to a large degree we gave ISIS the platform and time to expand and grow in confidence. It sort of gives us a clue to how we got things so wrong with Gaddafi in Libya, as this will be strategic target for an opening to ISIS to use as a stepping stone into North Africa.

Ironically I said this just last night.

The anti-Assad propaganda machine that the Government was trying to peddle out just a short time ago has now gone very very quiet. And why? Because a Syria controlled by a ruthless dictator is far better for the west than the next best alternative - a militant band of multi national lunatics intent on power and all in "name of religion". Look at Iraq, Libya & Egypt and look at the state all three are in, thanks to "Western intervention".

The hardest question is what do the west do? If they do nothing, then the Iraqi's turn to the BRIC countries like Russia/China and potentially lose their stake and alot of money based in oil rich countries. If they get involved, then they end up stirring up extremism.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Perhaps the West should never of armed them then.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The hardest question is what do the west do? If they do nothing, then the Iraqi's turn to the BRIC countries like Russia/China and potentially lose their stake and alot of money based in oil rich countries. If they get involved, then they end up stirring up extremism.

Sadly, experience has shown that the "great and good" of this world would rather shed blood than money.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Can anyone tell me why it's not possible for the US with its sophisticated military equipment to take out most of the IS forces in one or two air raids. Surely they know from satellite pictures are where these scum-bags are situated. Just extinguish them all. No questions asked.

ISIS isnt a 'gang'... they are fighting wars in two different countries....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ironically I said this just last night.

The anti-Assad propaganda machine that the Government was trying to peddle out just a short time ago has now gone very very quiet. And why? Because a Syria controlled by a ruthless dictator is far better for the west than the next best alternative - a militant band of multi national lunatics intent on power and all in "name of religion". Look at Iraq, Libya & Egypt and look at the state all three are in, thanks to "Western intervention".

To be honest I never even saw Assad as ruthless, and his appearance is westernised. Even with Gaddafi he had a certain amount of respect for the west, as his children were educated here. If we had just let Gaddafi die of natural causes his next generation would be very well connected, and have close ties with the UK.

I guess the first thing we should do is apologise to Assad, and work as allies with Iran and Syria because they don't want ISIS either.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The Christian West has been trying this for a 1000 years. They are like a Lernaean Hydra, you take off one head and 2 more sprout up. Perhaps in another 1000 years we'll work this out.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Anyone yet think this is all manipulated by the same people?

Someone must be getting rich out of all this misery.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Possible or desirable ?

A US led attack on ISIS, would serve to make ISIS a focal point for a holy war, which has the potential to spread way beyond Iraq and Syria.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This could have all been avoided if 1) worlds governments listened to the tens of million people protesting against the Iraq war on 13/02/03 and 2) Western powers stabilised the region during the Arab Spring, instead of arming Jihadists and aided the toppling of its strong leaders.

IS is the greatest threat to world peace since the end of the cold war. Unlike al-quaeda, they are organised, political, militarised and have an ideology. But most worryingly of all, there is no solution without going to war again.

A well thought out war, not all the hundreds of thousands of US troops and tech being sent there for a facade of might, and photo opportunity to glorify it. The Iraq war looked like a theatre production that bombed on it's first night.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Here's something I'd like to know the answer to. How did ISIS manage to launch their attack on Iraq from Turkey, a NATO member - without NATO knowing?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Possible or desirable ?

A US led attack on ISIS, would serve to make ISIS a focal point for a holy war, which has the potential to spread way beyond Iraq and Syria.

The other point is that these groups aren't an entity like Western reporting and politicians like to portray. They are multi faceted cell structured organisations, often operating completely independently of each other. There aren't the hierarchical structures we relate to in the West.

ISIS is just the remnants of Al Qaeda reincarnated, but bigger because of the power vacuum in Syria. In truth, the US created Al Qaeda when it supported them in their efforts to fight the Soviets in Afghanistan - back then the Mujahideen were of course 'freedom fighters' rather than terrorists.

You can't smash an ideology, you can't destroy it, if anything attempting to do that makes it stronger. ISIS is now a bigger threat the Al Qaeda was.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
??

with the fear of an ISIS attack on Turkish towns....i find that highly unlikely, sorry.
I can understand individuals and some movement, but an assault on a country? No, dont see that at all.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Here's something I'd like to know the answer to. How did ISIS manage to launch their attack on Iraq from Turkey, a NATO member - without NATO knowing?

I didn't know that they had launched an attack from Turkey but I know they want to launch an attack on Turkey.

If they have attacked from Turkey though, it would be because we let them take the part of Syria that borders Turkey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here