Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away supporters. How do you fit games into your lives?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I thought this deserves a thread on its own .Over the years I have been to the odd away game always on a Saturday. How do you fantastic fans do it? Apart from the huge amount of money you spend what about work and family lives? Travelling 400 miles mid week cannot always be fun. I think in some countries no fans travel to away games.
Please tell me your story how you manage to do this. Surely something must give.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I used to go to every away game before I had loadsa kids, since then I still go to loads of away games and take the whole family with me. Fortunately I get free train travel, but still spend around £100 on tickets and another £100 of food & beer for the day. Midweek away games are ok in the school holidays, but otherwise they have to throw a "sickie" like Hull replay last season! Didn't go last night as i'm currently touring Czech Republic & Austria with more free train tickets. Will be back for Saturday though.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Being at one end of the country our away fans along with other South coast clubs plus Carlisle,Newcastle must do more miles than most others.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If you live in the North, like me, then Leeds away is virtually a home game. I reckon there are at least 200 hard core Northern based BHA fans. I live about 5 miles from Old Trafford for my sins! Occasionally I have to go due to my work.... I always support 'anyone but Utd'....they are my second team. Having said that nothing beats, beating Leeds!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Away games like last night are much easier to do from these parts - but the downside is a 350 mile round trip for a home game.

It's a case of rationing both, mainly on the grounds of time, cost and having other interests, including other sports events. However from seeing the same faces at away games I guess there are some brave souls who don't miss an Albion game home or away - they are the real heroes.

Since living up here I have crossed off many more of the '92', which is a nice ambition as a fan. I think I'm up to around 50 atm.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
I live in Bradford but I am still in school. Hopefully when I am older I will buy a home in or near Sussex. I'll still be at away games tho. We were fantastic on Tuesday. At midweek northern away days you meet really hardcore fans. I heard we made alot of noise and there were only 444 of us. About 60-70% were singing basically all match!

You might of seen my I am the 14 year old with bushy hair and a Sussex flag to make up for the fact I live in yorkshire. :(

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hats off to you guys, I thought my two bus stops along Lewes road were a pain!

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Main reason is for games like last night! Above poster was correct, although there were only 400 there the atmosphere was great and pretty much non stop singing. Can't beat winning away at some Northern club.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Try to get to a few London away games per season, whatever day of the week.

However, my wife is also a season ticket holder so we also chose a couple of matches further away and have a 3 night break. This year will probably be Norwich and Cardiff as not been to these grounds yet.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I'm still young so I plan my life around the fixtures. As ForestRowSeagull, games like last night are the reason we do them, brilliant non stop support, topped off by an unexpected win and a great performance to go with it.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I struggle with away games mid week, I will venture to London and nearby(ish) such as Reading, Bournemouth as they're 2 hours or under travelling, and only getting 20 days holiday a year from work I have to be frugal how I use them, I'd love to do a Leeds away etc on a week day but having to use a days holiday to travel up and most likely the next day off as arriving home at 4/5am and getting up for work at 6am is a no no for me :(

Plus I've just had a baby daughter 3 days ago so my away days are gonna be few and far between for a couple of seasons now. I'm stil intending on doing 7 this year but it's really fair on the missus as she needs a day off from baby duty as she's going to to have to do all the hard work weekdays whilst I'm working. My priorities in life have changed somewhat now!!!

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
I live in Leeds, so I probably only go to 2 or 3 home games per season. However, over the last few seasons the Championship has been packed full of northern teams, so away games have been reasonably easy to do. There seems to be quite a few Brighton fans up here, although I don't really know any of them.

Now that my son is old enough to enjoy football, I can justify the expense a bit more....

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I used to live in Yorkshire for a few years and loved doing the away games up there! You got the real hardcore support , remember doing Doncaster midweek and Hartlepool where we won in the last minute on a freezing day! And thought if we hadn't have scored that goal what a long trip it must be home for those fans all the way to Brighton

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
It's well wort the experience to go to distant games. There's something massively rewarding to stand with Brighton fans in some dreadful northern hole and hear GOSBTS ringing out. Compared with the sterile mausoleum we have to put up with in Falmer I'd rather go to Leeds or Burnley with the diehards.

Best games I've ever been to have been away. Not because of the football but because of the craic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here