Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very sensible article in my view.

I believe that, assuming no further exits, with a left-back and another striker added to the collection as well as a creative Vicente/Orlandi-esque midfielder, we'd be fairly well set.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Very sensible article in my view.

I believe that, assuming no further exits, with a left-back and another striker added to the collection as well as a creative Vicente/Orlandi-esque midfielder, we'd be fairly well set.

Isn't TEX the creative? Striker, left back, back up centre back, please.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Isn't TEX the creative? Striker, left back, back up centre back, please.

From what I understood he is, but generally in a more central role.

I think we could do with someone who can play a little wider - not perhaps an out-and-out winger as Sami doesn't seem to favour them, but someone who can whip in a good cross as necessary.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So the question is if these new players are so good as replacements for who we have sold why have we been playing so crap ? Got to be the manager and coaches fault then

Because the rebuilding isn't complete. We still need a marquee striker, for example. I think everybody agrees that we're going to struggle with CMS and/or COG leading the line.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So the question is if these new players are so good as replacements for who we have sold why have we been playing so crap ? Got to be the manager and coaches fault then

Because Holla and Teixeira have only arrived in the last couple of days, and Toko is injured? The performance have been poor, for sure, but nine days into the season is a little early to judge.

FWIW Hughes has been decent, and O'Grady has shown some promise.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Because Holla and Teixeira have only arrived in the last couple of days, and Toko is injured? The performance have been poor, for sure, but nine days into the season is a little early to judge.

FWIW Hughes has been decent, and O'Grady has shown some promise.
Absolutely this. Can't wait to see Holla and Teixeira starting together. We already looked nailed on to be solid at the back again this year - all we need now is a little more quality up front and we will be in for ANOTHER good season in the Championship.

:amex::albion2::amex:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
25 players now listed on Wiki. Is that the lot?

I think we need a left back and send a reserve out on loan.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
From what I understood he is, but generally in a more central role.

I think we could do with someone who can play a little wider - not perhaps an out-and-out winger as Sami doesn't seem to favour them, but someone who can whip in a good cross as necessary.

Stephens, Crofts, Toko, Tex, Holla, Ince, Lua Lua, plus an extra creative player who plays a bit wider.....err...just how many are you planning to play in midfield?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lick, lick.

More positive PR from the mods, I.e. the latest soundboard for the club. Very strange.

A bit unfair I reckon. It seems to me that the mods are simply pushing a new part of the site - they've started threads promoting match reports too, and some of those haven't been very complimentary towards the club at all.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
More positive PR from the mods, I.e. the latest soundboard for the club. Very strange.

Well, on another thread (can't remember which one), Bozza said he "enjoyed a good relationship with the club" or words to that effect. If he wants to maintain that relationship, you'll have to ignore most of what he says or simply read it on the club website later...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The history of the transfer market is littered with bargain buys and expensive errors. Just because the Albion's coffers have been swollen through various sales it doesn't follow that they should be buying up all and sundry, like a child spending their birthday money.

My concern is the quality of who arrives. The market is not like that of mobile phones, elasticated in a way that is proportionate to talent and facets. There are many players, worldwide, that perform a task for a fraction of the cost of many an established 'name'. It is a question of clever scouting and worthwhile contacts. We have seen teams such as Nottingham Forest spending vast sums on players who appear to be the key to progression, only to find out something to the contrary. We have seen teams do the opposite, and find success.

The Albion's history upholds this. Mike Small, recruited for, I think £50,000, was an unknown who would have sent NSC into meltdown. Yet he proved pivotal to our rise to play-offs in 90/91. CMS cost over £2 million. Was that, in hindsight, a wise investment economically ?

I'm not concerned about about the clubs reticence in spending large sums, I am concerned that the two remaining signings (left-back and forward ?) enhance the quality of the squad. The two latest signings, by all worthy accounts, bring that quality to the squad. Let's hope they are suitably followed up.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Stephens, Crofts, Toko, Tex, Holla, Ince, Lua Lua, plus an extra creative player who plays a bit wider.....err...just how many are you planning to play in midfield?

1) Obviously not all of them at once.

2) You're assuming that all of the above will still be here when the window shuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here