Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions on fan ownership

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
1. Would you like us to be fan owned?

(I would)

2. Even if we became league 2 or conference?

(Yep, Brighton always)

3. How much would you expect to pay for ownership?

(£30 adults. £10 kids and OAPs)

4. Are you happy with the current state of modern football?

(No)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No i wouldn't. I would like to go down Swansea's route and have a fan representative involved in board meetings etc.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
1 - we are owned by a fan
2 - would that be the extent of our ambition? If so, then no.
3 - Have you done the maths here? We have around 22K season ticket holders, of which approx 15K would be adults and 7K concessions. Even if they all bough a share, that would raise a grand total £520000. That's not going to get a club off the ground.
4 - No. But at least attempts are being made to address that with FFP. Let's see how effective it is.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you want to own a football club, start a business, make billions then make TB an offer. Otherwise go and support a small local league club who might just survive on a pittance and a romantic notion of fan ownership! However, make sure your team aren't good enough as you wont' be able to afford it when they get promoted.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
3. How much would you expect to pay for ownership?

(£30 adults. £10 kids and OAPs)

Please don't tell me you run a business. If we want the fans to own the club then we would need to buy a majority of the shares. Being that TB owns in excess of 90% of the shares it is he we would have to buy out. I can't remember the exact figure but with shares and TB owned debt I think it would amount to around £150m fans would need to buy him out.

Even if all 22k STHs brought an equal share it would mean each of them needing nearly £7k - do you have this amount of cash spare ?

And of course once we owned it we would all have to stump up our share of £5m+ to cover the operating losses - EVERY season so that's another £200 odd quid on top of your season ticket.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Please don't tell me you run a business. If we want the fans to own the club then we would need to buy a majority of the shares. Being that TB owns in excess of 90% of the shares it is he we would have to buy out. I can't remember the exact figure but with shares and TB owned debt I think it would amount to around £150m fans would need to buy him out.

Even if all 22k STHs brought an equal share it would mean each of them needing nearly £7k - do you have this amount of cash spare ?

And of course once we owned it we would all have to stump up our share of £5m+ to cover the operating losses - EVERY season so that's another £200 odd quid on top of your season ticket.

Depends how the deal was done. You could get 22,000 fans pay £1k a year and get £22m, sell the extra seats for £5.5m, that's £27.5m. Then rent the stadium off Bloom for £1m and put our own team out.

Have a £17m wage structure giving the 22,000 investing fans a return of £431 each.

Not suggesting this by any means.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Depends how the deal was done. You could get 22,000 fans pay £1k a year and get £22m, sell the extra seats for £5.5m, that's £27.5m. Then rent the stadium off Bloom for £1m and put our own team out.

Have a £17m wage structure giving the 22,000 investing fans a return of £431 each.

Not suggesting this by any means.

Why would Tony Bloom accept £1m a year on a project into which he has already invested £200m?

Westmead Fan

Jul 17, 2014
to the op & people who think like the op go support Whitehawk & buy them it would be much more cost effective then see how easy it would be.

look how Ebbsfleet have coped with fans owning the club

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why would Tony Bloom accept £1m a year on a project into which he has already invested £200m?

I wasn't being serious but now you ask.

He can rent out the rest of the stadium for corperate events, special occasions, contract out the match day catering, income from Amex to sponsor the stadium, concerts, rent out the bars, income from the hotel and not forgetting saving on his £6m a year losses, commission on gate sales plus a bonus for Prem games and a slice of the TV money and renting it out for the rugby world cup.

Other clubs have had a different ownership of the stadiums and he would have to be creative and think of how to use the stadium for the other 342 days a year.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Other clubs have had a different ownership of the stadiums and he would have to be creative and think of how to use the stadium for the other 342 days a year.

There's a major problem, the stadium is subject to restrictive covenants which prevents it being used for those 342 days though.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There's a major problem, the stadium is subject to restrictive covenants which prevents it being used for those 342 days though.

I did say;

He can rent out the rest of the stadium for corperate events, special occasions, contract out the match day catering, income from Amex to sponsor the stadium, concerts, rent out the bars, income from the hotel and not forgetting saving on his £6m a year losses, commission on gate sales plus a bonus for Prem games and a slice of the TV money and renting it out for the rugby world cup.

Are you saying that the Amex cannot trade in any shape or form for the 342 spare days? Or I shouldn't have included the word concerts?

Sounds as if you are more bored at a slow news day than I am :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I did say;

Are you saying that the Amex cannot trade in any shape or form for the 342 spare days? Or I shouldn't have included the word concerts?

Sounds as if you are more bored at a slow news day than I am :shrug:

I believe it's only the outside areas covered by the covenants - i.e. the pitch, the seats, the floodlights and the PA system can't be used. That would make getting any decent income stream from the stadium on those 342 days mighty difficult.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I believe it's only the outside areas covered by the covenants - i.e. the pitch, the seats, the floodlights and the PA system can't be used. That would make getting any decent income stream from the stadium on those 342 days mighty difficult.

I wasn't specifically talking about the main arena, I was talking about the stadium facilities and suggesting the other revenues, and outside of match days, that are operating now.

Maybe have a think of what the place could be used for and get back to me because I am not going to write a list to prove a playful hypothetical point. Just think outside the box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here