Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many layers are required for the perfect lasagne?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think 4 is about right - the right density of pasta and the filling of your choice.

(Just to be clear: filling+pasta = 1 layer not 2)

What's the magic number for you?

I won't set a poll as I don't want to put confines around the responses that may be returned.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've become quite partial to doing 4 thicker layers but on thinking about it, 6 seems more normal. That is assuming that my method of counting layers is the same.

I thought we stopped having this kind of thread when there was football back though...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought we stopped having this kind of thread when there was football back though...
We will stop these threads when the football starts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've become quite partial to doing 4 thicker layers but on thinking about it, 6 seems more normal. That is assuming that my method of counting layers is the same.

6? So...

Cheesey sauce
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tip which Italians will hate.

When I went back to college after work a few years back - I was struggling to cook when I got back, so I started experimenting with making my own "ready meals".

A few things didn't work - but lasagne was the most succesfull.

I went to an Indian Grocer and bought a load of those foil packs you get your curry in. Very cheap (don't buy from a supermarket)

The ones I bought were almost exactly sheet of lasagne shape.

So I built the lasagne up in the foil box - with the cardboard lid on top :)

Worked best with dried pasta. Wierdly the freezing / defrosting process made the lasagne taste much better than cooked from fresh ! - The pasta get "marinated"

To this day - I often make it like that. It just tastes better.

There is also a Heston tip which is very good. When making the meat sauce stir through a whole star anise for a few minutes. Plus add a dash of fish sauce.

Before you think I'm attempting some Italian / Chinese / Asian fusion - it doesn't taste like that. Both ingredients have compounds that increase the meaty taste.

Lastly I would never make a bechamel without adding nutmeg generously and flavouring with a bay leaf.

Curry works well too "out the freezer".

Pour the sauce (when cold) over raw chicken and just freeze.

The meat (again) gets marinated (and tendorised) by the freezing / defrosting process and it takes great. You just throw it in the oven. It DOESNT taste like "baked curry". You just get really tender meat, the kind you will used to from the take away.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If it's still on iPlayer then watch the Celebrity Masterchef finals - then you'll see a PROPER one !

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
There is also a Heston tip which is very good. When making the meat sauce stir through a whole star anise for a few minutes. Plus add a dash of fish sauce.

Anise -- non-star -- is a traditional Italian spice esp. in sausage. And anchovies -- just a couple, not enough to be overtly fishy -- go into every red sauce I make,

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
3 is the correct answer if having a meat filling

if vegi filling do what you want,it will still taste like :censored:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
4 layers when I make it and alternate between green and white dried lasagne pasta.

Thin layer of sauce on the pasta as you build it up and then a really thick sauce on the top with loads of parmesan on the top so that it goes nice and crispy.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I love these cryptic hints. Is it an Italian? Will it be today?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I generally just wear a T-shirt, but if it's a bit chilly I might stick a jumper on

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
4 layers when I make it and alternate between green and white dried lasagne pasta.

Thin layer of sauce on the pasta as you build it up and then a really thick sauce on the top with loads of parmesan on the top so that it goes nice and crispy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here