Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SkyGo on the TV?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Evening Ladies and Gents

Anyone know how to get Skygo on your TV? There seems to be something crafty on the laptop that is preventing it from being hooked up to the TV via HDMI.

Not a massive problem as the laptop is quite wide but it would be good to get it on the TV.

Cheers NSC

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Should work, from my knowledge only Apple TV is a barrier for SkyGo.

Have you tried closing/minimalising the browser BEFORE connecting HDMI, then change Audio Prefernces to the end source via right click?

Just a guess.

Russ

Rust Man
May 4, 2013
Evening Ladies and Gents

Anyone know how to get Skygo on your TV? There seems to be something crafty on the laptop that is preventing it from being hooked up to the TV via HDMI.

Not a massive problem as the laptop is quite wide but it would be good to get it on the TV.

Cheers NSC

I've tried and failed at this before. Im fairly sure that it can't be done. Sky go is only intended for computers and I pad's etc. Don't tell sky, but I actually use my dad's account as he can have two devices, so I get sky sports for free, but only on the I pad, not the tv.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Evening Ladies and Gents

Cheers NSC

I use my Xbox watching the footy now. You need an Xbox live connection. Download the app and your away

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
I did it, but my 50" tv is my primary monitor on my pc.

Is it just sky go that doesn't work or does it not connect at all?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Evening Ladies and Gents

Cheers NSC

I use SkyGo on the TV from my computer (MacMini) but instead of HDMI, use a VGA input into the telly. This is actually as good quality as the HDMI cable which I've used for other types of video.

Going to depend on your input slots on the back of your TV, but if you have a PC VGA slot well worth a try. Only thing with mine is that it doesn't carry sound so I use a jack cable from the computer to a red and white phono inputs to the tv, although recently I've plugged it directly to a sound bar.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I did it, but my 50" tv is my primary monitor on my pc.

Is it just sky go that doesn't work or does it not connect at all?

Connects perfectly but displays an error message when on SkyGo.

Hmmm. Crafty really, it's Virgin i'm using which works a treat, but for the football tonight it redirects you to the Sky Site which is where the problem is. *******s, works fine without HDMI

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
I use SkyGo on the TV from my computer (MacMini) but instead of HDMI, use a VGA input into the telly. This is actually as good quality as the HDMI cable which I've used for other types of video.

Going to depend on your input slots on the back of your TV, but if you have a PC VGA slot well worth a try. Only thing with mine is that it doesn't carry sound so I use a jack cable from the computer to a red and white phono inputs to the tv, although recently I've plugged it directly to a sound bar.

Sky go isn't hdmi there should be no quality loss anyway and vga doesn't carry audio which is why you need the Jack.

HDMI does carry sound so it should be easiest.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
Connects perfectly but displays an error message when on SkyGo.

Hmmm. Crafty really, it's Virgin i'm using which works a treat, but for the football tonight it redirects you to the Sky Site which is where the problem is. *******s, works fine without HDMI

Sounds like some dodgy sky anti-tv stuff. Download the sky go software and see if that works, if you haven't. Is the tv set as primary monitor?

Gertrude

May 10, 2014

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is this a recent phenomena?

We put our lodger's SkyGo through our TV from his laptop via an HDMI cable regularly, but haven't done so since last season. I'm hoping they haven't put a stop to it, but will get him to test it sometime soon.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sky go isn't hdmi there should be no quality loss anyway and vga doesn't carry audio which is why you need the Jack.

HDMI does carry sound so it should be easiest.

Only if you computer/laptop has an actual HDMI output slot (mine is before HDMI was thought of!). I know why I need the jack thanks. :wink:

I'm pretty sure in the programming of SkyGo it won't allow output via HDMI from any device. They say it's a licensing reason.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I recently received a letter from Sky saying that to continue to use an X-Box I had to upgrade to Sky Go Extra. In that letter it listed what would not work - and that included HDMI from Android for certain and possibly Windows. I have since thrown it away but I am sure it will be on the Sky website somwhere.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
Works fine for my to my tv via hdmi from pc. Don't actually use sky go though :D

29kp34p.jpg

Last edited:

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Have you tried a different browser, as suggested by a previous poster? I previously had a problem with NowTV giving Silverlight errors in IE, but was fine in Firefox. It turned out to be an IE security setting in the end.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think it's a Sky restriction. You pay subscription to watch Sky through their PVR units, with the bonus of Sky Go if you have a subscription, and want to watch through a tablet or computer. If you don't pay a subscription it's understandable that they will try to prevent you watching it by 'sharing' Sky Go login details.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
Evening Ladies and Gents

Cheers NSC
Don't really understand what other posters are saying. Are you just using telly as a big display? Cannot see any reason for Sky to block that. Sounds more like a laptop issue to me. You have tweaked the display settings to display on a 2nd monitor I presume? (Most laptops normally allow it by pressing a combination of the Fn (function) key and an 'F' key)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've never had a problem with watching Sky Go on the TV via HDMI

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here