Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is America a Free Country? or a Police State?

America: Free Country or Police State?

• Free Country

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Police State

Votes: 26 60.5%

• Total voters

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
[tweet]501341861064110080[/tweet]

[tweet]501036488415408128[/tweet]

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought this was going to be a thread about the happenings in Ferguson, Missouri.

(EDIT: I only saw the second tweet when I posted this)

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It all depends on the colour of your skin and if you have a dingle dangle or not.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
How to embed tweets? :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why not ask an American forum? Who here would have any idea (aside from a handful)? people claim "police state" without any real understanding of what police states are (you don't get to say anything against the state).

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
According to Wikip.

"The inhabitants of a police state experience restrictions on their mobility, and on their freedom to express or communicate political or other views, which are subject to police monitoring or enforcement. Political control may be exerted by means of a secret police force which operates outside the boundaries normally imposed by a constitutional state.[1] Robert von Mohl, who first introduced the rule of law to German jurisprudence, contrasted the Rechtsstaat ("legal" or "constitutional" state) with the aristocratic Polizeistaat ("police state").[2]"

So No...it is not as bad as that , but do the Police over react to crowd control issues? Yes..They are over armed and make things worse. I read that a lot of military hardware had been flogged off cheap in the U S to Police forces, after coming home from Iraq.. They sure enjoy using it!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
According to Wikip.

"The inhabitants of a police state experience restrictions on their mobility, and on their freedom to express or communicate political or other views, which are subject to police monitoring or enforcement. Political control may be exerted by means of a secret police force which operates outside the boundaries normally imposed by a constitutional state.[1] Robert von Mohl, who first introduced the rule of law to German jurisprudence, contrasted the Rechtsstaat ("legal" or "constitutional" state) with the aristocratic Polizeistaat ("police state").[2]"

So No...it is not as bad as that , but do the Police over react to crowd control issues? Yes..They are over armed and make things worse. I read that a lot of military hardware had been flogged off cheap in the U S to Police forces, after coming home from Iraq.. They sure enjoy using it!

Internal checkpoints, unconstitutional NSA spying, and the use of the espionage act against whistle-blowers - seems to fit quite nicely with the definition.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It's not a police state in the true sense of the word but its citizens are probably considerably less free than their constitution intended.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not a police state in the true sense of the word but its citizens are probably considerably less free than their constitution intended.

the original constitution permitted slavery and no rights for women to vote. so majority of the population is up.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There is no such thing as a free country. We all live in police states, it's just the different degrees to which we are policed that matters.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We already know what the correct answer is, per the Murray Rothbard avatar, don't we?

Also a classic example of the false-dlemma fallacy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Quite a literal way of defining it hough. As that would make a truly free country an anarchic state.

Literal, but it's true.

It's all down to the level of policing that any given society is willing to surrender to. It's the social contract theory of Thomas Hobbes (and others), but basically it's true that in return for a general sense of peace and freedom of speech I'll agree to abide by certain rules and regulations.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Literal, but it's true.

It's all down to the level of policing that any given society is willing to surrender to. It's the social contract theory of Thomas Hobbes (and others), but basically it's true that in return for a general sense of peace and freedom of speech I'll agree to abide by certain rules and regulations.

I suppose your right in that a truly free country would have no rules and could be governed purely on morality. But yeah obviously morality is subjective and some people are just ***** so this could never happen with any success.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I suppose your right in that a truly free country would have no rules and could be governed purely on morality. But yeah obviously morality is subjective and some people are just ***** so this could never happen with any success.

I would hate to live in a free country. It'd be madness. Possible a great holiday destination for a few weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here