Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Station taxi rank to close for midweek matches

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11415207.Taxi_rank_to_close_for_midweek_matches/?ref=mr

Taxi rank to close for midweek matches

7:00am Monday 18th August 2014 in News By Siobhan Ryan, Health reporter
The Argus: Queues at Brighton station Queues at Brighton station

The main Brighton Station taxi rank will be closed for weekday Albion matches.

Bosses at the station have introduced the change in a bid to tackle congestion caused as football fans wait to catch a train to Falmer station while commuters are also making their way home.

It will mean taxi drivers will have to use the back of the station to drop off and pick up customers between 4pm and 7.45pm on match days instead of using the rank at the front.

A new queuing system for Falmer trains was introduced for the first game of the season last weekend, forcing fans to queue in a zig-zag through crowd barriers.

The changes caused confusion on the first day, with some fans left scattered throughout the station and reports of trains being sent off half-full.

An email to taxi firms by the station's customer experience manager said: “As you can imagine these evening games hugely increase the passenger flow on our east coast services and so that we can operate a safe queuing system which will need to extend into the designated taxi pick up area we will be closing the rank at the front of the station for these games.”

Brighton and Hove Conservative spokesman on transport and Conservative Parliamentary candidate for Hove, Graham Cox-Sucker, urged Southern to rethink. He said: “It will have a detrimental effect on the travelling public, with commuters having even more of a struggle to get home.

“Taxi drivers pay £470 a year to pick up at the station, and to treat them in this high-handed fashion is unfair.

“I am convinced there is plenty of room for a proper queue, without the need to close the rank.”

Ronald Wallace, 51, from Hove, has been a driver for 25 years.

He said: “It will be a reduced income for the people working the station. I don’t know why they bother closing it.

“The only hassle you get is from closing it. And the blacks of course. It seems to flow all right the rest of the time.”

A spokesman for Southern said the process would continue to be reviewed.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
:lolol:
Not quite an easy 10 masterpiece, but not bad either. Any opportunity to pisstake a tory.
8/10.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
the taxi rank should be round the back of the station. Every time I come down to Brighton there are taxis queued up blocking the roads around the station because they all want to get into the station to pick up fares that just are not there. This causes buses to be late as they are stuck in the queue and more importantly for the green council there are 100 cars sat there with their engines running polluting the air.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the taxi rank should be round the back of the station. Every time I come down to Brighton there are taxis queued up blocking the roads around the station because they all want to get into the station to pick up fares that just are not there. This causes buses to be late as they are stuck in the queue and more importantly for the green council there are 100 cars sat there with their engines running polluting the air.

This. The space out front could be used as an inviting public space instead of a shitty congested taxi rank.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I agree. They also need to clamp down on taxis dropping people outside the Railway Bell. Pull up on yellows and invariably block buses or cars.

The whole gateway to the city is a dump. Taxis, kebab shops, litter, fumes and chaos.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Should the thread title not be 'Brighton Station taxi rank to MOVE for midweek matches'?

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
Taking a cab from the back car park bumps up the cost of the taxi to a large percentage of taxi users and sending cabs through one of the worst congestion areas.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Didn't the council have some grand plan to re-do that area ? As far as I can see all they've done is widen a bit of pavement and then use the extra pavement space to put massive flower boxes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Didn't the council have some grand plan to re-do that area ? As far as I can see all they've done is widen a bit of pavement and then use the extra pavement space to put massive flower boxes.

They did.

They wanted to move the taxis to Frederick Place, and have them queueing up Trafalgar Street under the tunnel. All sides in the council were happy with it, by the North Laine Community Association complained, so they took their feelings into account...

My main beef isn't so much about the taxi space - which is bad enough - but more to do with the seemingly increasingly bad behaviour of some of the taxi drivers. Attempted queue-jumping, and refusing to take disabled passengers being two of my bugbears that I 've witnessed. Sticking them at the back or down Frederick Place probably was probably a better idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here