Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team retention after playoffs in 1991, 2013 and 2014

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
There's been a lot posted on here saying that this year is not do different to the last couple of years and we should wait to the end of the transfer window to see who we've got. Given quality signings coming through now this may have some validity (apart from our poor record with strikers).

When Oscar left and we lost or dropped players I had the sense that this year (perhaps irrationally) reminded me of the year after the playoff in 1991 when we also lost good players. I don't think any of us realised at the time how far the club would fall, but over the next year the team was dismantled. Clearly this was a different era with different management (and TB clearlybhas the best long term interests of the club at heart). However I thought it would be interesting to compare.

If you look at lineups for the last playoff game in 1991, 2013 and 2014, then how many players had left by the following season?

Perry Digweed
Gary Chivers
Steve Gatting - left
Dean Wilkins
Nicky Bissett
Colin Pates -left
Mark Barham
Stefan Iovan + left
Michael Small left
Robert Codner
Clive Walker

Sub: Ian Chapman
Sub: John Byrne left

I'm not totally sure, but I believe 5 players had left by the start of the next season. I think Pates had been on loan from Arsenal.

Kuszczak
Calderon
Greer
Upson
Bridge left
Bridcutt
David
Hammond left
Buckley
Ulloa
Orlandi

Sub Barnes
Sub Lualua

2 players had left by the start of next season (both loans)

Kuszczak left
Calderón
Ward left
Ince
Greer
Dunk
Buckley left
Andrews left
Ulloa left
Orlandi left
Lingard left

Chicksen
Mackail-smith
Lualua

7 players left before the start of the season (3 of them were loans). On top of that PlYer of the season Upson was injured who also left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here