Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paving Slabs Advice

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
This weekend I have had paving slabs fitted at the front of my house to first and foremost tidy up what was a load of weeds and shrubbery.

The slabs themselves are 60mm thick. Whilst this wasn't initially intended as a second driveway (otherwise id have had it done properly) I am now tempted to use it as such.

The bloke that carried out the work said eventually they will crack if I was to continually do so.

I just wanted to scope the experience of NSC as I've also heard to the contrary, providing the slabs themselves are generally thicker than 50mm

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
It's not so much the thickness of the slabs but it depends on what went underneath them.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They will crack....sound like tiles to me

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They will crack....sound like tiles to me

wtf am i on about-sorry thought you said for some crazy reason 6mm?? they won't crack if set on a solid enough base-

AS YOU WERE.....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Have you got any hardcore?

They wont last 5 minutes unless they are laid on a decent solid and even foundation.
Even building sand as long as it is level is better than nothing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
60m is quite thick so unless they are made of sandstone I doubt you would have too much problem, but if you do, just replace them as they break.

Unless the bloke that laid them was lazy and didn't prepare the base.

DECK CHAIRS AT DAWN

Feb 20, 2012
If the base has been dug out then had a wacker plate over it.A layer of membrain,proper concrete screed that's been tamped,good sand bed for the slabs(level is important here)then when slabs are down have been properly sanded and tamped.If all that's been done you can park a 747 on ya drive.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If the base has been dug out then had a wacker plate over it.A layer of membrain,proper concrete screed that's been tamped,good sand bed for the slabs(level is important here)then when slabs are down have been properly sanded and tamped.If all that's been done you can park a 747 on ya drive.

There's a driveway joke in there somewhere*

* but I've never quite understood the Palace and traveller thing.

DanielT

The prep work which has been mentioned is important.

If he's told you they'll crack, it means he hasn't done the prep work necessary for a driveway (but if you said it was just for light use, why would he)

If you park on it the weight of the car running up and down will cause the ground underneath the wheels to compact and those slabs will end up lower than the others. Once that happens, and to fix it on the cheap, just lift those few slabs, put sharp sand down and compact it, then re-lay the slabs.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Whilst I don't know all the ins and outs of the prep work, I know that he went through a load of sand and cement, which he laid on top of the then flattened earth prior to putting the slabs down.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Whilst I don't know all the ins and outs of the prep work, I know that he went through a load of sand and cement, which he laid on top of the then flattened earth prior to putting the slabs down.

You are probably fine then, and he was just covering his arse to save himself coming back on a complaint.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I might add the paving is also on a slope as well which I'm guessing will affect wear and tare if parking on it. Certainly compared to parking on a flat paved area?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Are they Apple slabs or android? If they are apple slabs they should not break with a car driving on them.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here