Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Mountain Bike buying advice

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I'm looking to buy a new hard tail mountain bike for no more than £600. From looking at various reviews my best option would appear to be one of the following:

Carrera Fury
Specialized Rockhopper
Voodoo Bizango
Saracen Mantra Pro

The Voodoo is probably the best, but being a short arse (5' 6") I'm not sure the 18" frame would be suitable for me.

Could anyone offer any practical advice please?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I have a specialized rockhopper, great bike ...but you get what you pay for. If you can get an XT gear set then get it. Also wheels, wheels, wheels. Look at the spokes and nipples, if the nipples are aluminium then look at upgrading to stainless steel. Preferrably with a set of mavic cross rides.

Other than that it is a good bike, just a few upgrades to finish it off.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have a specialized rockhopper, great bike ...but you get what you pay for. If you can get an XT gear set then get it. Also wheels, wheels, wheels. Look at the spokes and nipples, if the nipples are aluminium then look at upgrading to stainless steel. Preferrably with a set of mavic cross rides.

I also have the rockhopper and find it uncomfortable and twitchy on steep descents

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing

Thank you. I'm guessing that all of those upgrades will take it well over £600.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Dude, go for the Voodoo Bizango.
What Mountain Bike magazine rated the bike with five out of five stars.
Comments were 'Really well equipped, sweet handling, speed sustaining, maximum fun machine for the money'

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Personally. I'd look second hand. I wanted to buy my dad a new bike for his birthday max £500 ended up getting £1500 worth of bike for £400 in mint condition.

There is a big difference between the cheaper components and the more expensive ones. Key things are brakes, rear mech and forks for me.

Check this out -
www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/trek-fuel-cost-over-2500/1077320054

Serious kit for £500

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Personally. I'd look second hand. I wanted to buy my dad a new bike for his birthday max £500 ended up getting £1500 worth of bike for £400 in mint condition.

There is a big difference between the cheaper components and the more expensive ones. Key things are brakes, rear mech and forks for me.

Check this out -
www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/trek-fuel-cost-over-2500/1077320054

Serious kit for £500

Lovely bike but I think the OP wanted a hardtail

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Lovely bike but I think the OP wanted a hardtail

The only reason you get hard tail is because you don't want to shell out for full suss. There's loads of good deals for 2nd hand bikes, you just need to keep an eye out. People tend to buy mountain bikes and then not use them, it makes for good deals if you know what to look out for

*** although that Trek bike is well old, wouldn't pay a monkey for it

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
The only reason you get hard tail is because you don't want to shell out for full suss. There's loads of good deals for 2nd hand bikes, you just need to keep an eye out. People tend to buy mountain bikes and then not use them, it makes for good deals if you know what to look out for

Hmm... not sure I agree. I find you get power down easier with a hard tail, and for rear suspension - perch off the saddle!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here