Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sales (Upset levels)

The sale or departure of which player has made you most upset or disappointed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The sale or departure of which player has made you most upset or disappointed? Recent times only, although I could have done an all time poll.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Elliott's departure was as it should be in that he gave everything and stayed till the seasons end and acted as a true professional,his fee however was light by some £500,000 to a £1m when he went..

But really as soon as we sold Craig Noone the writing was on the wall.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not upset at all, they were mostly big money earners signed by Gus. Them being sold has reduced the wages to meet FFP also most cant play the system SH wants so he/we will bring in cheaper players who can play the wing back system. Just have patience 2 weeks tranfer window then the loan window still to go.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Good call. Just shows how short my memory is on a Sunday afternoon (feels like morning). Will Buckley replaced him for me. Both of them seemed irreplaceable at the time.

What? Ulloa by miles

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I cant put my finger on the reason why but the one that really hacked me off was Barnes , yes i know he went to the footballing mecca that is Burnley but i think as a club we did little in the way of trying to keep him here , which is a shame considering how much he contributed the time he was here .

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Barnes for me. Really liked his ethic and it wasnt like he was leaving for much bigger club, wage or oppertunity. I'd also imagine he was on a fairy modest wage.

Never understood the flack he got on here, occasional petulance aside he scored goals, was hard working and prepared to get back to defend. Our squad would be much stronger this year with Barnes in it.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Oh and IMO Barnes is a much, much better all round player and finisher that CMS at 5% the transfer fee.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
What? Ulloa by miles

Although most folk tend to be resigned to players sales when higher leagues are involved. The question moves to the price, rather than the decision to sell in isolation. The board extracted an inflated fee for Ulloa, and a fair one for Buckley.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
I think all the above I am ok with for different reasons, however we have to replace them. I do have faith, and will see what happen over the next few weeks before judging. my only small gripe is how many teams don't sell a player until they have found and bought a replacement. This is not something we seem to do. Also is it not a idea before we sell ulloa for 8m we buy a player for say 2 or 3 million as the selling team won't know we have a deal in place to sell ulloa for 8m. I am sure once we have sold him any player price goes up a bit ie balldock

Although most folk tend to be resigned to players sales when higher leagues are involved. The question moves to the price, rather than the decision to sell in isolation. The board extracted an inflated fee for Ulloa, and a fair one for Buckley.

I think you're repeating by rote a cliche that's not particularly accurate. We had no pressing financial reasons to sell our best player. The decision will haunt us for a long while to come, players of his class don't come around too often

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Ha what about El Abd? forgot about him

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think I've been particularly upset or disappointed since John Robinson left.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think you're repeating by rote a cliche that's not particularly accurate. We had no pressing financial reasons to sell our best player. The decision will haunt us for a long while to come, players of his class don't come around too often

Sure, I agree there were no financial pressures. But he had an opportunity to play in the Premier League. It is difficult to stand in the way of that. The price has to be right though.

Sure, I agree there were no financial pressures. But he had an opportunity to play in the Premier League. It is difficult to stand in the way of that. The price has to be right though.

Granted it's difficult but contracted players have to do what they are contracted to do at the end of the day. We should have said you're staying here, buckle in for the medium term and don't worry, we are getting signings that will get us into the Prem next season. Clubs with the right ambitions do say that to players. Turn on Sky TV now and you'll see Schneiderlin is pretty much the only hope Saints are going to get anything out of their game today

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
I cant put my finger on the reason why but the one that really hacked me off was Barnes , yes i know he went to the footballing mecca that is Burnley but i think as a club we did little in the way of trying to keep him here , which is a shame considering how much he contributed the time he was here .

This, while Ulloa, Bridders and Buckley are all probably greater losses, at least the club worked hard in keeping hold of them and as a result got good fees. I do feel the club could have kept hold of Barnes if they'd really wanted to keep him here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here