Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrogance and Entitlement

RaymondThe

Aug 16, 2014
Hi all.

I'm a Burnley fan, and I felt compelled to register and talk about Stephen Ward in light of some silly comments ive read over time on here.

I noticed that many posters on this forum have been very uncomplimentary towards Ward & even Barnes, for their decision to choose Burnley over Brighton. My question is why?

Brighton now have a lovely fresh stadium. It is admittedly impressive, but no more so than any of the other recently erected new build stadia that we've seen in recent years.

This stadium, and the chance to play at it, seems to be the main reason why posters here think the aforementioned players should have chosen Brighton over Burnley.

Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that there are quite a number of reasons why a player would choose Burnley over Brighton.

Firstly, Burnley are a club that has woven strands into the fabric of English football. We are a founding member, multiple title winning team that has spent the majority of it's existence in the upper echelons of the Football League.

Brighton can boast none of this, and has spent most of its existence scratching around in the lower leagues.

In recent history, Burnley have shown ambition, have spent more time challenging at the right end of the championship, have shown a real aptitude for bringing through and developing talent and have tasted the success that Brighton aspire to. We play bright, attacking football too.

Whereas Brighton, the nouveau rich, have spent plenty of money and consistently failed at the final hurdle. It's often been pointed out how cynical, dour, and downright dirty some of the football has been also.

Finally, Burnley may not have a shiny new stadium, but what it does have in Turf Moor, is a stadium steeped in history, dignity and respect.

It reflects badly on many of you that you are unable to weigh up such reasons before concluding that the likes of Ward & Barnes are idiots for choosing Burnley over you.

Enjoy your season.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
This should be good...

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I think you are just as delusional about history of club playing any part in its attractiveness, as many are on here about our ground and opportunity of living in Brighton.
Money and league are all that count.

Otherwise we would have better players, and so would Notts County

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Oh do **** off. None of us are really in the mood for a sanctimonious away fan coming on here at the moment telling us how we should react on our own message board.

Go back to your own narrow minded, homophobic messageboards and slag us off on there.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Hi all.

I'm a Burnley fan, and I felt compelled to register and talk about Stephen Ward in light of some silly comments ive read over time on here.

I noticed that many posters on this forum have been very uncomplimentary towards Ward & even Barnes, for their decision to choose Burnley over Brighton. My question is why?

Brighton now have a lovely fresh stadium. It is admittedly impressive, but no more so than any of the other recently erected new build stadia that we've seen in recent years.

This stadium, and the chance to play at it, seems to be the main reason why posters here think the aforementioned players should have chosen Brighton over Burnley.

Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that there are quite a number of reasons why a player would choose Burnley over Brighton.

Firstly, Burnley are a club that has woven strands into the fabric of English football. We are a founding member, multiple title winning team that has spent the majority of it's existence in the upper echelons of the Football League.

Brighton can boast none of this, and has spent most of its existence scratching around in the lower leagues.

In recent history, Burnley have shown ambition, have spent more time challenging at the right end of the championship, have shown a real aptitude for bringing through and developing talent and have tasted the success that Brighton aspire to. We play bright, attacking football too.

Whereas Brighton, the nouveau rich, have spent plenty of money and consistently failed at the final hurdle. It's often been pointed out how cynical, dour, and downright dirty some of the football has been also.

Finally, Burnley may not have a shiny new stadium, but what it does have in Turf Moor, is a stadium steeped in history, dignity and respect.

It reflects badly on many of you that you are unable to weigh up such reasons before concluding that the likes of Ward & Barnes are idiots for choosing Burnley over you.

Enjoy your season.

Good post, there are alot of idiots on here that think the 100 million pound stadium will get us promoted,to be fair though some are starting to wake up

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I very much doubt any player would give a toss ahout that when considering a move.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Players don't care about history of a club, they might if we are talking about Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal but otherwise all that matters is what division is the club in and how much are they paying and for how long.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
good luck with that.

the history of the club is pretty redundant argument for what teams players play for, it matters to fans, not players. to say we've consistently failed at the final hurdle overlooks the recent history and constraints we've had for the past two decades. and Burnley have had about two or three good seasons in the championship, so its bollocks anyway.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Apart from the view that I have no idea why the OP bothered to come on here, I do have to say there is an awful lot of truth in what he says about the arrogance many of our posts demonstrate.

On the other hand the premier league and the money is, sadly, the main reason we lost these two.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thankfully it's another hour till my roast. I'll stay and watch this thread alongside the cricket.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hi all.

Enjoy your season.

Funny how you accuse Brighton fans of arrogance yet you show yourself to be massively arrogant here.

Personally, what annoys me is the way Burnley/Ward handled it. Albion were after Ward all summer. Burnley waited until we'd agreed a deal with Wolves and Ward and gazumped it. Not a great way to behave in my opinion but sadly the way football works these day.

As for Ward, he probably isn't going to be first choice for you so he's just gone for the money. He seemed dedicated with us last season so I'm a little surprised by the way he behaved but that's life.

All in all, this sort of arrogance won't get a great reception on here.

RaymondThe

Aug 16, 2014
Interesting point re money.

What we know about Ward is that he was due to be made Albions highest paid player on 13,000 pw.

What we know about Burnley is that our current highest earner is 15,000 pw, and it isn't Ward.

So perhaps it's not as much of a draw as we thought?

As to location, I sincerely doubt any of our players live in Burnley town centre. My bet would be that they reside in Gawthorpe or The Ribble Valley, which regularly feature in the "go to" areas of the UK in all sorts of publications.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The first entry is all well and good, excepting that footballers go where their personal circumstances are served best. In the case of the aforementioned, that is Burnley.

As for any unnecessary remarks made about Burnley itself, there is no need to migrate to another forum in protest. Had Ward decided to come to Brighton there would doubtless have been assertions about his sexuality from the north-west. Some people are socially challenged. No need to get upset.

Last edited:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
If your highest earner is on £15K PW then I'm a monkey's uncle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here