Votes: 57 25.8%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There seem to be two themes prevalent at the moment:

- Poor player recruitment (Bloom & Burke)
In short: Players sold are high quality, players brought in aren't as good and we've missed out on a number of better target.

- Poor tactics, selection and player positioning (Hyypia)
In short: match tactics seem sketchy, substitutions weaken the team and LuaLua is not being played where he can be most effective.

Are both these things true, in your eyes, or is Hyypia just working as best he can with what he has?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
A bit of column a and a bit of column b.
Clearly we need new players but if the current players can't play the formation he seems intent on playing change it to something they can and play the players in their correct positions.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Obviously it's early days but hyppia is a novice manager who appears to have a system theory and that is what he is going to play come what may. Not sure that's what we need right now

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Yesterday I couldn't see any pattern. The formation was odd - using Bruno in the midfield didn't work. When the first substitution was made the opportunity to rectify it was there by moving Lua Lua to the right - but Hyypia took off the one player who can turn a game.
It was a very poor and confused performance. We're not as strong as last year but the players are still a lot better than that performance.

It is early days, but we have squandered points against two of the weaker teams. I'm hoping that this is part of the settling in stage.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Spot on. Both of those things!
For me when you add the poor levels of match day service and prices going up at the Amex season after season. I'm starting to get a bit fed up with it all. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an armchair fan. In my younger days I'd follow the Albion home and away. Had a season ticket from '82 to now. But something is not right. In the past we've had a clear enemy, a vocal point with which to channel the anger, Stanley, Archer, Bellotti or various managers just getting it wrong. But it's more difficult. We can all see there is something wrong, we can all see where the squad need investment and almost what players are needed. But none of us have confidence that A the club will spend any money(even with huge fees coming in) and B that the Manager and coaches will get it right on the pitch, they seem to be making a weak squad worse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The buck starts and stops with Bloom.

But that's to bitter a pill for many of us to swallow, so it's scapegoat city Arizona.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm not judging recruitment until the window closes. Yes, frustrating it's not been sorted already, but I'll give them a chance to get it done. I think most teams still have a lot of deals to be done.

Don't think you can judge tactics or managerial ability after 3 games, it takes time to get your ideas across and ingrained into the players.

Not saying everything is sweethess and light, but it's a long season and far too early to decide how it's going to go. My fundamental feelings is that TB would not spend a fortune to provide superb facilities and neglect the squad - that makes no sense. Frustrating we see not much happening regarding incomings, but I don't expect these things to be done in the public eye. I think many people see nothing happening and assume nothing is happening.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We have conceded one goal in both our games. This is to be expected at this level. There is not a lot wrong at the back. It's our inability to create and score goals that is the problem and that because the forward line would not even be a good championship pairing and we have zero quality behind them to create. That's not Sammi's fault, it's the men who sign the players....We pay £500k for O'Grady who is basically a journeyman and not even a very good one, his record shows you that. While Leeds pick up Billy Sharp a proven championship level striker for £450k, says it all.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Surprised you don't have Paul Barber as an option. From what I hear he is the problem. Not a football man, only interested in making money, he's the one controlling the transfer policy.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Both probably, but can I add that if the reports are true about fans singing "you don't know what you're doing" to Hyypia already, then those fans are wrong too. I can understand that some fans are frustrated, but to take it out on our new manager after 2 league games is a tad premature, I would say.
Sounds like Portuguese Joe was promising though, so that at least is a positive.
Hey ho.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're taking a risk leaving the recruitment so late, and I'm concerned about Hyypia's tactics.

However there is scope to turn it around....so I'm trying to stay positive!

:thumbsup:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Why does there have to be blame attached here.

Everyone appears to be trying their hardest to get the best out of a tricky situation, which is FFP. The club are making cut backs/ which is understandable given FFP and Sami is doing what he can with the squad available to him.

The question should be, do you comply or gamble with FFP? I know which one I choose.......

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
To be truthful I think its fans over expectations and I am guilty of this. We have been rather spoilt for the last 4-5 years and when things don't follow the same happy path we then look for possible reasons. Maybe fans expectation levels need to back off a little whilst the Academy starts to kick in as that now appears to be our future and hopefully we can match what Stains do. Also thinking about it the club has only spent probably 10-seasons in the championship during their existence and have predominantly been a lower league team which is something we also forget.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Why does there have to be blame attached here.

Everyone appears to be trying their hardest to get the best out of a tricky situation, which is FFP. The club are making cut backs/ which is understandable given FFP and Sami is doing what he can with the squad available to him.

The question should be, do you comply or gamble with FFP? I know which one I choose.......

I really dont think the club are making cutbacks because of FFP.

I think Barber is purely using it as an excuse to justify cutbacks, give excuse to selling all our players worth money and maximise profit per fan. Its only about making the business as a whole more profitable.

Barber imo is a wolf in sheeps clothing

It's mostly player recruitment, just the salt that Sami doesn't seem to be making the best of what little he has

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I really dont think the club are making cutbacks because of FFP.

I think Barber is purely using it as an excuse to justify cutbacks, give excuse to selling all players and maximise profit per fan. Its only about making the business more profitable.

Barber is a wolf in sheeps clothing

Interesting.... How do you come to the conclusion that the club are not concerned about FFP?

To me it looks exactly what they're doing...but Ofc I might be wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here