Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The cost of quality strikers...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
McCormack goes to Fulham for £11m, Ulloa goes to Leicester for £8m, Forset pay £5m for the lad from Posh(not going to attempt to spell his name)....You could argue all them fees are crazy, which I think they are. But that is what people are paying. We offer £1.5 for Baldock. No wonder Bristol City laughed at us, they must think we are taking the piss. Quality costs, that's the long and short of it. It maybe crazy money I agree but it's what people are going for. We need a striker, or else we are in big trouble, I think everyone would agree, The question is how much will we have to pay??? I suggest you will get nothing decent for less than £3.5m , unless someone is in the last year of their contract and then the price will be lumped onto his signing on fee and wage packet......oh and you won't get that quality for £10k a week either.....So Burke(lol) can make as many calls as he likes and try as hard as we keep getting told he is trying. You will get nothing quality for peanuts, FACT.

Dec 29, 2011
Not every club signs a £3-4m striker. Who have 'borough, Derby, Blackburn, Watford, Reading, Leeds etc signed? We don't need to break the bank to get a super star, a few £1m - £1.5m players would make a world of difference. Look at Buckley, Lualua, Clayton, Bolasie etc who all moved for that kind of fee. They are quality players who make a difference at this level, we just need a better system for identifying them.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Would CPFC turn down £2m for Murray.
I'm sorry we can't go throwing 2 million at 31 year olds. We don't have the luxury of parachute payments either. We have to be prudent when it comes to big fees.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Regarding Baldock, just possibly Bloom is still smarting from losing between £2m and £3m on CMS (League One). Once bitten, twice shy, maybe?

I agree, I don't think Baldock is the answer, he would be ok but I don't believe he would be a fantastic signing. I am just making a point of what you get for your money these days...and what we could expect to pay, to get what we so desperately need.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
McCormack goes to Fulham for £11m, Ulloa goes to Leicester for £8m, Forset pay £5m for the lad from Posh(not going to attempt to spell his name)....You could argue all them fees are crazy, which I think they are. But that is what people are paying. We offer £1.5 for Baldock. No wonder Bristol City laughed at us, they must think we are taking the piss. Quality costs, that's the long and short of it. It maybe crazy money I agree but it's what people are going for. We need a striker, or else we are in big trouble, I think everyone would agree, The question is how much will we have to pay??? I suggest you will get nothing decent for less than £3.5m , unless someone is in the last year of their contract and then the price will be lumped onto his signing on fee and wage packet......oh and you won't get that quality for £10k a week either.....So Burke(lol) can make as many calls as he likes and try as hard as we keep getting told he is trying. You will get nothing quality for peanuts, FACT.

I agree with what your saying but the club seem adamant that they do not want to fall victim to FFP.....getting quality players in on budget must be a nightmare if we are to comply with the rules. Complying with FFP is one thing but at what cost? League 1, poorer attendances, loss of ST holders etc....I'm guessing they think by adding 1/2 maybe 3 new faces before the window shuts will guarantee us championship status for another season? Who knows? It can't be easy running a football club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sorruluy we can't go thowing 2 million at 31 year olds. We don't have the luxury of parachute payments either. We have to be prudent when it comes to big fees.

Yet consider Baldock for £4m, a proven failure at this level. Murray would be a snip at £2m if we got promoted with his goals as Palace did

scooter1

How soon is now?
Until the first wave of FFP fines are dished out, and either paid or challenged, BHA will continue to adhere. If they are challenged and the challenger wins, then FFP goes out of the window and normal chaos will resume. It will then be down to Bloom and co to decide how much they want the promised land, and how much they're prepared to stump up for it, year on year

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Depnds on what it is now plus we have money from sales

I have no idea what he is earning, but lets say £18,000 a week (possibly low end). No chance in hell we would match that, even though we have money to spend. No, I don't think Murray back here is a realistic prospect unless Palace agreed to an unlikely loan deal and contributed towards his wages.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Regarding Baldock, just possibly Bloom is still smarting from losing between £2m and £3m on CMS (League One). Once bitten, twice shy, maybe?

Surely we haven't lost any money on him just yet. Hypothetically if he was to score 30 goals this season we could make money. (I am aware that will probably not happen) But until he is sold/released no money has really been lost.
Also the couple of mil we spent on Ulloa had a very good return, we just need to replicate this investment a few times in the next fortnight.
I'm not sure Baldock is the answer but we definitely need someone, the way prices are in this country I'd be surprised if we don't recruit from foreign shores. It's just fingers crossed at the moment, we need to rebuild and that will take time, but in that time we need to avoid slipping down a division or a vast majority of the hard work put in will be in vain. The way it stands currently I'd take 21st and hope some of the younger members of the squad gain experience for the following seasons as we get our squad back on track for a promotion push in a couple of seasons time.
We need to be financially stable (With or without FFP) and if that takes a couple of seasons of consolidation, so be it. It would just be nice for the club to come out and say it, if that is in fact the case.
At least it's never a boring season at the Albion!

(Fastens on tin hat and awaits barrage of abuse!)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Right now Bloom seems to be having a problem spending any money on anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here