Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Slang and Dialect

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
What do people form Sussex say that others don't?

A few to begin with

Hollingbury's = Testicles
Derives from cockney rhyming slang for balls - Orchestra Halls, which is shorterned to Orc's. Hollingbury's is taking the rhyming slang one futher, rhyming orc's with Hollingbury Hawks

Twitton -
A narrow lane (like Ship Street Gardens in the South Lanes).

The Knock - i.e in a mood "he's got the knock".
Definitely a south of England thing.

Can anyone think of any other Sussex words or sayings?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Jimmy Saville said:

The Knock - i.e in a mood "he's got the knock".
Definitely a south of England thing.

they we're saying that in Nottingham in the 80's! Went upto visit my cousin and they all used it in various forms, I brought it back to school so maybe I'm responsible for that one :D it'd be nice anyway

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i've often though about this,

as a migrant in london, i think there is a brighton accent, very subtle though it is.

look at neighbouring towns and cities...

hastings - very south london, very common
pompey - blatent oo-arr aspect
crawley - again, south london
tunny wells - middle class oxford english

in brighton, i believe our cockford accent (not quite london, not quite oxford) comes from the large amont of people originally from london who moved down here 150 years ago, if we didn't have the london element we'd have an oo-arr cider accent like pompey (you can find old folks in sussex and kent who speak like pirates you know...i seen it on that there TV)...

one thing about brighton i think is that we have a drawl to our accent, people can distinguish that it's not a total london accent, its a bit slower, like a posh cockney...

you only realise how we drawl when you here a recording of your voice, its weird. maybe cos we're all chilled out and no one gives a monkey's down here.

BN1 and proud

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Brighton does have it's own accent!! Peopl oop north have noticed it with me saying it isn't a London accent but is (In their words) still cockney like!!!

Dirty friggin Northerners!!!!

:angry: :lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
also in Des Lynams famous words "they pronounce it Brioghton down there" when he was interviewed about the city (well town back then). Say it out loud....do you say "BrIghton" or BriOghton"

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
i learnt in english that 'sprucing' is a susex dialect to mean 'you gotta be kiddding/joking me' hence you gotta be sprucing me. Never heard of it myself!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Did anyone else ever refer to someone at school as being "loppy", i.e. meaning they were a sleepy, dull, slow on the uptake? The person in question could then in turn be called a "lop".

A straw poll in the office (well, three people) suggests no-one else has heard of it. Could just be a Sussex thing.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Twitten ...Yep I agree

Jasper...haven't heard that in years, me mum used to call wasps Jaspers!!

:clap:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
My dad used to say "I'm shrammed" meaning "I'm cold" . Never heard anyone else say it though.

On the subject of accent, Broighton definitely has an accent different from the rest of Sussex. I come from Arundel, most of which now has a plummy accent from outsiders, but the locals have a very yokel accent. Brighton is definitely Mockney by comparison.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
house your seagull said:
in brighton, i believe our cockford accent (not quite london, not quite oxford) comes from the large amont of people originally from london who moved down here 150 years ago

Thats what we have in Reading. Locals call it Estuarian or Thamesian. Londoners have moved to Reading for centuries to give the cockney twang, though with the west-country and middle-class England only just to the west of Reading (Newbury etc), there is a slight edge that gives it a different accent. Plenty of our fans come from this sort of area so the accent of our fans is anything from the beginnings of the westcountry to the realms of inner-London. Kinda cool having a distinctive accent.

However, the pikeys all sound like cockneys, same as down your gaff..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here