Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford turn down £10million Leicester bid for Deeney

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
...in a deal that could have risen to £12m. Never say never, and if they get an absurd bid (some would say that already is) a deal could still happen.

But fair play to Watford and their owners. They clearly feel with Deeney's almost guaranteed 20 goals in the Championship they have a far, far better chance of promotion and all the money that brings.

It could yet backfire on them, but you have to applaud their stance and ambition.

Personally I think if they keep Deeney they could be automatic candidates with Vydra back alongside him. And 10 new signings in all.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Brave turning that down.

It is brave. A huge call. I still wouldn't rule it out if an even bigger offer came in, perhaps from a bigger club that the player really wanted to join. But turning down £10m is a massive statement in itself.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Deeney and Vydra have a great partnership up top, I think Watford will be a real threat this season.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Leicester are looking somewhat desperate. £10m for Troy Deeney? :lolol:

Decent striker but nowhere near that class. Mind you, I thought they paid over the odds for Ulloa, good though he was.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Will also depend if Deeney decides he's not in the right frame of mind to play for Watford anymore

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Two Watford fans and ST holders I work with are very confident that they are on for automatic promotion this season, perhaps the owners are going for it this year.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trouble is, if a player's head is turned, it is probably best to let him go (We know from experience).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you were the Watford chairman and thought the Top 2 spots were locked up you'd maybe sell Deeney, but maybe they believe promotion is wide open in which case they're taking their chances.

Vydra and Deeney will get you 35-40 goals, so I expect Watford to be around the play-off spots. I fancy Norwich will come good but I'm not sure the likes of Derby, Cardiff, Blackburn and Wigan will be dominant either. If Deeney does go, and Jordna Rhodes too, then it will certainly help our play-off chances.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
If you were the Watford chairman and thought the Top 2 spots were locked up you'd maybe sell Deeney, but maybe they believe promotion is wide open in which case they're taking their chances.

Vydra and Deeney will get you 35-40 goals, so I expect Watford to be around the play-off spots. I fancy Norwich will come good but I'm not sure the likes of Derby, Cardiff, Blackburn and Wigan will be dominant either. If Deeney does go, and Jordna Rhodes too, then it will certainly help our play-off chances.

I agree about Watford's chances, certainly on paper. The only question seems to be around the manager Sannini and whether he has the team with him. I attended the Norwich v Watford game hoping The Hornets would cause The Canaries big problems but they shot themselves in the foot by dropping Forestieri and suffering a reckless red card just as Vydra and Deeney started to open up the home defence. After that it was a bit too easy for Norwich who seem to have enjoyed a very comfortable start in the Championship, helped by some generous opposition.

Two or three weeks ago I was a bit concerned at how the Albion might do this season against such teams, who both looked very dangerous going forward. But TBH neither defence impressed me. They could wilt if opponents take the game to them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that the manager's position is looking dodgy, and you could just see Tim Sherwood going back to his home town club where he started, signing a few Spurs kids / reserves along the way and really giving them some impetus. I think this will happen sooner rather than later.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Absolute morons he not worth anywhere near that much FFS ha ha ha

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here