Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can any 80's albion fans help me?

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
I come from a non sporty family background (so I can't ask my dad as a neighbour took me)and I am trying to find out what my first ever Albion game was. It was around 1986 in a friendly V Spurs. I was very young at the time and I know Hoddle scored and I think Spurs won 4-0 but I can't rember that much. It may have been a testamonial. If any one of you decent folks could enlighten me I would be most grateful.

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
I come from a non sporty family background (so I can't ask my dad as a neighbour took me)and I am trying to find out what my first ever Albion game was. It was around 1986 in a friendly V Spurs. I was very young at the time and I know Hoddle scored and I think Spurs won 4-0 but I can't rember that much. It may have been a testamonial. If any one of you decent folks could enlighten me I would be most grateful.

We definitely played Spurs in a pre season friendly which I think was in August 1994 when the wonderful Liam Brady was the manager. We played in those dark blue and maroon stripes and Gazza played up to the North Stand and got a great reception. Is it possible it is that one you are thinking of?

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
Was typing while the other more accurate replies came in. Feel free to put on ignore!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We definitely played Spurs in a pre season friendly which I think was in August 1994 when the wonderful Liam Brady was the manager. We played in those dark blue and maroon stripes and Gazza played up to the North Stand and got a great reception. Is it possible it is that one you are thinking of?

(I think) That was a different game, Brady came on a sub for the last few minutes, and didn't Matt LeTissier play for the Albion too? I think it was Jimmy Cases testimonial, we played Liverpool.

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
(I think) That was a different game, Brady came on a sub for the last few minutes, and didn't Matt LeTissier play for the Albion too? I think it was Jimmy Cases testimonial, we played Liverpool.

Definitely a different match. I stood in the East for JC's testimonial, but was in the north for the Tottenham match. But Le Tissier did hit a shot from 40 yards in the testimonial which screamed over the South Stand goal bar. Great moment in what was regretfully, a dull match. Unlike Jimmy's testimonial dinner at the Grand where I was on a table next to Mad Frankie Fraser. I never did work work out why he was there!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

I don't know what the year was (90s) but I went with a plastic spurs fan and stood in the away end with him. People were taking the pee out of the Goldstone and our portacabin shop around me. Really hard to stifle a cheer for us a couple of times. I seem to think it was the first season of the back pass rule?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was there. Sol Campbell played, and was immense.

Gerry Ryan's testimonial.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75238685@N02/7951145798/in/set-72157631454811814/lightbox/

Are you sure? Sol Campbell first played for Spurs in 1992. I believe the game that you are thinking of may have been the year Spurs signed Jurgen Klinsman 1994, it was supposed to be his debut game but he didn't play. Sol Campbell was certainly immense if we are thinking of the same game. Can't remember the score but we did get well beaten.

Was a pre season friendly and certainly not Ryan's testimonial.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We played Spurs in Graham Moseley testimonal and they started their full 1st team with Linekar Gazza etc by half time all had been substituted for youth team players.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I can help you mate. It was preseason friendly played on a Friday night.
It was the 1986 / 87 season
There's 3 things that make me remember the year.
1: It was just after the Mexico world cup and a number of Spurs fans were wearing cheating Maradonna t shirts.
2:There were a couple of Spurs fans in the West Stand and they were slating Clive Allen and moaning about why they hadn't bought a new striker. He scored twice that night and nearly 50 that season and was player of the season.
3: I went with my Dad who was having chemo and he died before the end of the season.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
Thanks for the reply but it was definitely Gerry Ryan's testamonial as it was a Friday night (as I was at school and wouldn't have been allowed to go) in 94 I was 17 so I would have been going anyway. Cheers mate

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Dark blue and maroon stripes? Are you sure?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
We played Spurs and lost 3.0 in April 1990 for Graham Moseley testimonial.
Paul Stewart got one and Gazza scored twice. Albeit a friendly, it was 2 months before Italia 90 and Gazza was absolutely immense.

David James played in goal for us for a bit too...

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
Definitely a different match. I stood in the East for JC's testimonial, but was in the north for the Tottenham match. But Le Tissier did hit a shot from 40 yards in the testimonial which screamed over the South Stand goal bar. Great moment in what was regretfully, a dull match. Unlike Jimmy's testimonial dinner at the Grand where I was on a table next to Mad Frankie Fraser. I never did work work out why he was there!
mad Fankie Fraser was probably sealing a deal for his grandson to play for us

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Jimmy Case testimonial was a 1.2 loss vs Liverpool in autumn 1994. John Byrne guested and set up the goal for us scored by Junior McDougald. Clearly recall Le Tissier's 40 yard effort that only just missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here