• get the overdraft

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • refuse the overdraft

Votes: 53 81.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
My bank have offered me a £2000 overdraft on my account, the thought of having an extra 2 grand to rely on is nice but obviously it comes with a price if used...i don't have bundles of dough..but manage to survive month to month....should i take it? or leave it... genuine advice please...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Unless you need it, no. It's a slippery slope and once it's there you're likely to make use of it for things you may not need.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I wouldn't personally. When I had my overdraft I kept spending money that I didn't have and constantly justifying my use of it. Took me forever to pay off. If you can get by without I don't see why you'd need it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just say no. Borrowing money will cost you money you don't have in the first place. It is a dodgy racket run by dodgy people.

You have not been charged for this advice :thumbsup:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Take £500, or something you know that you could easily manage to pay back if everything goes tits up

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If you manage to survive, don't do it unless you know there will be times when you may need it. My £2k one costs me £150 a year so as long as it is not abused it can be useful.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
My advise is not to spend any money that is not yours. Even if you had it for emergency's only, you may dip into it. Turn them down and if you manage your account correctly the offer will always be there in the future. I do remember Martin Lewis saying that an overdraft is an expensive way of burrowing money. If you do need some extra money, a loan from your bank will work out cheaper.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
you mean you get charged that for just having it on your account? (this all new to me)

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Definitely do it unless you have zero self control.

It is very useful back up if you need to get hold of money quickly.

A friend turned one down a few years ago and then needed money urgently to pay for hospital fees abroad.

He ended up borrowing from Wonga.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You get charged for having an Overdraft Facility whether you use it or not - given you have several weeks leeway with a Credit Card why don't you apply for this if you think there is some variation in your cashflow?

I used to have an Overdraft Facility for my business but ditched it a few years ago when I realised how much it was costing me and the fact that the Company Credit Card could smooth things out.

Of course I had to trade successfully for a few years in order to get the Credit Card. Banks, doncha love them?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I thought you only got charged if you went over your overdraft limit? Mines £250 and I never seem to pay a fee but I went over it a couple of times and was charged £8.50? I'm with Barclays btw.

Personal A/C probably different to Business A/C, it was a 5K Facility but it was costing me hundreds of pounds a year!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I bank with Lloyd's and have a £2k overdraft which is free* provided I don't go over.
Generally never use but handy if have a month or so where bills are higher and go slightly in. I always ensure that it's not used excessively and that I can pay it off by next pay date. I'm sure if I relied on it the bank would try to use it as a way to sell a loan/ increase fees.

*well I do pay £25 per month but also get travel insurance, home emergency cover, mobile phone insurance for family and AA cover (also credit report which is useless)

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
I would say that it depends on your circumstances if you have savings then NO, but if you have no safety net they can be a bit of peace of mind in the event of a crisis. Used only when required can be a really good asset!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here