Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Are there any mechanics on here?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What do you want 'mechaniced' so to speak? Washing machine, car, lawnmower etc etc

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Well when moving at slow speeds (pulling up) or reversing, the brake makes a terrible grinding noise, but when you apply the foot brake it doesn't make such a bad noise, I'm guessing it's unaligned if that's possible? And running metal to metal.

Is it grinding that you can feel through the steering wheel or pedal, or a higher pitched squeal? If it's the latter it may be a squeal indicator telling you that your pads are low. If it has gone metal to metal it'll be a set of pads and possibly discs depending on damage.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Is it grinding that you can feel through the steering wheel or pedal, or a higher pitched squeal? If it's the latter it may be a squeal indicator telling you that your pads are low. If it has gone metal to metal it'll be a set of pads and possibly discs depending on damage.
Pretty much what he's just said, some cars have wear indicators built into the pads which will make a grinding sound, but more likely your pads are worn out, if you're lucky you might get away with just the pads, if you've driven like it for a while, you'll probably need discs too.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I often change the disc when I do pads on my own car. They are relatively cheap and if you are taking the calliper off anyway, then there's not much reason not to. I never understand why it's such a no no to change the disc. Most people want to get away with the disc not being replaced probably because it's double the price with some garages, but really once the wheel is off, you're halfway there already. Anyway sounds like the breaks are worn.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom

I don't think I can feel it through the pedal, maybe slightly?
When I took the wheel off earlier it was slightly rusty all around the top of the disc but not on the main face of the disc and when turning it round with my hands (with the handbrake on), it would make the sound once it hit a certain point in rotaion for about 1/6 of the rotaion, but as I say it's not as bad as when driving cos it doesnt sound as bad when brakes are on, and its not a high pitch it's a low pitch sound the only way I can describe it is imagine you're trying to clear your throat and it's that soort of pitch but with metl involved.

From what I felt also, I think the pads are actually ok, but I know nothing about cars tbh.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
When I took the wheel off earlier it was slightly rusty all around the top of the disc but not on the main face of the disc and when turning it round with my hands (with the handbrake on), it would make the sound once it hit a certain point in rotaion for about 1/6 of the rotaion, but as I say it's not as bad as when driving cos it doesnt sound as bad when brakes are on, and its not a high pitch it's a low pitch sound the only way I can describe it is imagine you're trying to clear your throat and it's that soort of pitch but with metl involved.

From what I felt also, I think the pads are actually ok, but I know nothing about cars tbh.

What car?

Is the noise coming from front or rear?

The rust around the edge is normal, the clean face is from contact with the friction material of the pads.

The face of the discs should be almost polished in appearance and smooth to the touch (a few light grooves are ok but the important thing is they are shiny and smooth) there may be a lip around the edge of the disc(s) which the back (black metal bit) on the pads is grinding on.

It's probably something really simple and run of the mill but get it into someone as a matter of urgency to be looked at - tyres and brakes are the 2 most important things to keep you on the road safely!

You might be really lucky that its a stone or bit of gravel caught up somewhere!

If you can get some pics up it would help :)

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

To me it sounds like a warped disc/discs. It's happened to me before. Especially with all the rain, if the car is stationary even for a few days, it can rust the discs to the pads. Also more likely if they are older. Did you ever try to drive off and feel like the car had the handbrake on when it didn't, then suddenly all was ok? Even if you didn't notice it sounds like a rusted warped disc. You may not see the damage if it's on the inside. Sometimes the discs don't recover from the heavy rust, even with applying the brakes hard. This can cause the noise and could cause shaking in the car almost like a balancing issue when breaking at speed. Get new pads and discs.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I don't mean to hijack this thread with an unrelated issue, but is there anywhere that people would recommend for having part of my rear bumper repainted? I scratched some of the paintwork off it when I accidentally clipped a wall the other day; there are 4 noticeable marks, about half an inch wide and up to 5 inches long. Any tips or quotes? Thanks muchly in advance.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't mean to hijack this thread with an unrelated issue, but is there anywhere that people would recommend for having part of my rear bumper repainted? I scratched some of the paintwork off it when I accidentally clipped a wall the other day; there are 4 noticeable marks, about half an inch wide and up to 5 inches long. Any tips or quotes? Thanks muchly in advance.

It can be repaired quite easily, I don't do that kinda stuff so I can't advise too much but the deeper the scratch, the more expensive and difficult to repair. Did you scratch down to just the primer or deeper? If it's a popular car and colour, I'd look at replacing the bumper with a spare from a scrapyard. It won't be perfect but if you can find the same colour, it will save you money and might look alot better than what you have. All depends how much it bothers you.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Call me a heathen but isn't the point of a bumper to get messed up? Just leave it.
Colour coded bumpers are really a bag of cock. What was wrong wirh black?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Kwikfit and the like all offer free brake checks - they will tell you what's wrong and give you a price to repair [often drive in and while you wait].

You can then ring round for comparisons to see if they are value.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here