Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendances

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Just seen that Arsenals official attendance figures for games last season were way wide of the mark with a difference of 10,000 for a European game. Overall 170,000 tickets that were bought weren't used last season at The Emirates !!

Wonder what the differences are in our figures for last season ?

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
This is the blog by the bloke who obtained the figures: http://aisforarsenal.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/arsenals-actual-average-attendance-last.html

He went through the Metropolitan Police, by way of a Freedom of Information request. Anyone sufficiently bothered about the actual attendances at the Amex could do the same with Sussex Police.

Going by what my eyes tell me, for most matches at the Amex about 85-90% of STH's are in attendance. So, broadly in line with the Arsenal figures.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
If I ever can't go I ensure I give my ticket to someone else who wants to go. Wish we based our attendance on people there rather than tickets sold

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This is the blog by the bloke who obtained the figures: http://aisforarsenal.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/arsenals-actual-average-attendance-last.html

He went through the Metropolitan Police, by way of a Freedom of Information request. Anyone sufficiently bothered about the actual attendances at the Amex could do the same with Sussex Police.

Going by what my eyes tell me, for most matches at the Amex about 85-90% of STH's are in attendance. So, broadly in line with the Arsenal figures.
Don't tell some of the plonkers on here that lol
Some idiot on sat evening said the east stand was half full,fack me i saw it and would say 800/1000 empty seats max and it holds what 8/9k? Many people need an eye test as they exaggerate the numbers so so badly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I fail to understand why people get so uptight. We know the club announce tickets sold as the actual attendence, as do most clubs. We all know that this isn't the actual attendence, as do most fans at other clubs, including the author on A is for Arsenal.

The only way it affects the club relates to what is sold on the concourses and in the club shop on match days.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't tell some of the plonkers on here that lol
Some idiot on sat evening said the east stand was half full,fack me i saw it and would say 800/1000 empty seats max and it holds what 8/9k? Many people need an eye test as they exaggerate the numbers so so badly.

Nope, I disagree, I would say it was almost half full, maybe 65%, and is nearly always that way.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I fail to understand why people get so uptight. We know the club announce tickets sold as the actual attendence, as do most clubs. We all know that this isn't the actual attendence, as do most fans at other clubs, including the author on A is for Arsenal.

The only way it affects the club relates to what is sold on the concourses and in the club shop on match days.
Totally agree...i bet leicester and many other clubs had the same amount of no shows,but they never get mentioned.Its because we had the biggest averages and people look for excuses to be little us.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nope, I disagree, I would say it was almost half full, maybe 65%, and is nearly always that way.
You kidding me?
Fack me we had a large patch in the east upper and scattered patches.Its a mind trick as you're focused on empty seats and not occupied seats.It was at least 80% full.

You're saying we had about 3500 empty seats in the east stand:glare:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Well call me a picky pedant but 'attendance' means 'people who attended'. I've got no objection to clubs using tickets sold as opposed to bodies through the turnstile if that's what they want to publicise, but it's not the 'attendance'. Consequently calling it that is a crime against the English language. And it is slightly deceitful, even if as you say, most people are wise to it now. Also it does smack a bit of the 'bad old days' when for several clubs the published attendance figures bore no resemblence to the number of people in the ground, but in those days of course clubs artiificially lowered the figures and 'forgot' to include some turnstiles.

And before you ask, no I don't have any proof of that last statement, merely the anecdotal stories that have been told. None involving the Albion actually although there were several times during the 'Glory Years' at the Goldstone when I felt that there had been a 'miscalculation' in the attendance figure announced to the crowd!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well call me a picky pedant but 'attendance' means 'people who attended'. I've got no objection to clubs using tickets sold as opposed to bodies through the turnstile if that's what they want to publicise, but it's not the 'attendance'. Consequently calling it that is a crime against the English language. And it is slightly deceitful, even if as you say, most people are wise to it now. Also it does smack a bit of the 'bad old days' when for several clubs the published attendance figures bore no resemblence to the number of people in the ground, but in those days of course clubs artiificially lowered the figures and 'forgot' to include some turnstiles.

And before you ask, no I don't have any proof of that last statement, merely the anecdotal stories that have been told. None involving the Albion actually although there were several times during the 'Glory Years' at the Goldstone when I felt that there had been a 'miscalculation' in the attendance figure announced to the crowd!

Not disagreeing with anything you say, including the second paragraph, just that I'm not going to get worked up over a slur on the English language!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Hopelessly inaccurate. I sit in the East Stand every game and can assure you 65% is way off the mark. Let me help you out here. Looking from the West Stand, the East Stand will maybe look 65% full at any one time, but watch carefully and it is not always the same seats empty.

At any one time at least 20% of ESL is on the way to/from the toilets/sweetshop/beer/pie queue and god only knows where else.

Next time the club want a theme day. How about a watch the full 90 theme ?I could get fully behind that one and it would be a real novelty for so many people.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I take a photo of the East Stand every game Here's Blackburn on 9/11/13
image.jpgView attachment 57385

Reading in March
image.jpg

Any requests?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Interesting to see how the blue seats are more visible compared to the other two pics, would that be due to holidays or apathy ?

First games of the season normally get put down to holidays. Despite your fishing, it was still a not too shabby crowd for the Championship.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Interesting to see how the blue seats are more visible compared to the other two pics, would that be due to holidays or apathy ?

First games of the season normally get put down to holidays. Despite your fishing, it was still a not too shabby crowd for the Championship.

[MENTION=25756]Se20[/MENTION] - when was the last time Palace had a crowd approaching 26k in the Championship? I just had a quick look and went back to 2004, but nothing (I had got bored by that point). Is this due to apathy amongst the Palace fanbase, or have thousands of supporters been on holiday for ten years?

Feb 14, 2010

If palace disclosed "through the gate" instead of sold tickets for say Bristol City at home in the Championship then empty seats at Selhurst would have outnumbered taken seats by over 3 to 1 as your disclosed tickets sold gate was what 11,000 and in the ground what? 9000? Palace and every club disclose tickets sold not in attendance, why should Brighton be any different? As for apathy, well as someone else pointed out, when Palace can point to average gates of over 25000 in any division other than the top flight? 30 years a go when you used to have a decent support to match ours? Straw clutching at its best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here