Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positive thread: the last transfer window of treading water

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
So, in theory is this the last transfer window we will be treading water?

Tony Bloom was quite open in expressing the fact that FFP will kick in next transfer window and the punished teams will need to sell before they can buy more.

This , again, in theory will lead to 2 outcomes:

1) We will be at a competitive advantage to punished teams. Players will become cheaper other teams will suffer, we will therefore start spending and be in a strong position.

2) The FA will not have the balls to do anything, we can all forget FFP and spend anyway without fear of the consequences?

Or am I too optimistic that it will be that simple?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me we're placing an awful lot of trust in FFP penalties being strictly applied. These things tend to end up watered-down, else you'd put half the clubs in the division out of business.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Treading water?
Seems to me we've set sail in a sieve with a paper hankie as a sail and a plastic fork for a paddle.

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
If Bloom and Barber are correct then option 1 will be more or less true.
However I can't shake this feeling that option 2 will be the reality.

Money talks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems fair enough. though there is one other issue to consider - FFP is just a daft meme thrown up every two seconds in place of "tight budget". so it depends if FFP is really the driver, or just being sensible about spending. is there a bottomless pit that opens up in scenario 2?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I feel FFP is just a mask to hide the fact that we are potless. There seems little chance the penalties will enforce it either or have much bearing on our potential squad.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I feel FFP is just a mask to hide the fact that we are potless. There seems little chance the penalties will enforce it either or have much bearing on our potential squad.

FFP does sometimes appear to be a bit of a smokescreen for a flawed business model. We fill the stadium, we stuff our faces with pies and pints at premium rates like there's no tomorrow, and still the club makes a year-on-year operational loss. Something doesn't add up, and maybe never will do.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I liked the idea of the fines being shared out amongst the clubs that had adhered to FFP rules.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I liked the idea of the fines being shared out amongst the clubs that had adhered to FFP rules.

Redistribution of the fines on a strict pro-rata basis of adherence to FFP would appear to be by far the best way of ensuring a level financial playing field. IMHO, like.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Especially as the extra income would help us comply with FFP!

Redistribution of the fines on a strict pro-rata basis of adherence to FFP would appear to be by far the best way of ensuring a level financial playing field. IMHO, like.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There a scenario to scenario 1) All the clubs have stocked up with the best of the current pick of players. So the only ones they will get rid of will be passed their sale by date, which may not be of great use to us. That said up we would have the pick of up and coming players from the lower leagues.

2) On the positive, if every club flouted FFP it would fail because player embargos wouldn't work if every club were issued with one. With us near breaking even on the scale on the graph it should effect the range of punishment levels.

As long as one club sets the bar the FL will be forced to act accordingly with FFP.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's not just FFP though, is it? The stated long term aim is for the club to be self sufficient, ie make a profit, or at least break even. Difficult to see how this can happen when we still make a loss with a full stadium and high prices though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here