Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zlatan Ibrahimovic donates £30,000

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Unlike Rio (in that programme Rio in Rio). A club from a favela has nothing. Rio gets new kits from Man U and roots around in his kids old shoe box. And I assume he thought that made him look good.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Unlike Rio (in that programme Rio in Rio). A club from a favela has nothing. Rio gets new kits from Man U and roots around in his kids old shoe box. And I assume he thought that made him look good.

It's a bit harsh to criticise him for that - he has his own charity foundation and who knows how much work he does for charity. He seemed quite a decent bloke to me. Besides which, hasn't Brazil got it's own super rich elite who could help with Brazilian favelas?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It won't be long before someone breaks out the usual 'is that all, he earns enough that he should be giving more'.

As it is, fair play to the guy. Regardless of what he earns, or who it comes from, 30k is not a small amount of money.

It's always nice to hear of footballers doing some good, especially when so many do anyway but it doesn't make the news (I believe Phil Neville has done loads throughout his career, for example).

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's a bit harsh to criticise him for that - he has his own charity foundation and who knows how much work he does for charity. He seemed quite a decent bloke to me. Besides which, hasn't Brazil got it's own super rich elite who could help with Brazilian favelas?

Has he ? Fair play to the man. And I agree he does seem quite a decent bloke. It just looked like someone who was a bit of touch with reality. Putting a bag of old shoes on a plane (which maybe we paid for through the Licence Fee) when he could have purchased new ones out there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has he ? Fair play to the man. And I agree he does seem quite a decent bloke. It just looked like someone who was a bit of touch with reality. Putting a bag of old shoes on a plane (which maybe we paid for through the Licence Fee) when he could have purchased new ones out there.

http://rioferdinandfoundation.com/

If we go to Hackney or wherever, I suspect we'll get a positive view from Ferdinand. I wonder how much the Rafael twins are giving to the Brazilian poor? He visited their massive home, complete with obscene number of cars.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
http://rioferdinandfoundation.com/

If we go to Hackney or wherever, I suspect we'll get a positive view from Ferdinand. I wonder how much the Rafael twins are giving to the Brazilian poor? He visited their massive home, complete with obscene number of cars.

I live in Hackney and he's done nothing for me. Miser.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you will find there are plenty of 'overpaid' players that do a lot of work for charity 'but don't like to mention it'! Some that are known about include Craig Bellamy and Drogba.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I said this on the Wilshere thread: The way we view our players in this country is ridiculous. WIlshere gives a lot of money to charities [no story there - so don't report]. Smokes a fag? [vilified for being a bad role model].

Good on Zlatan. Reading his bio at the moment, cracking read. Highly recommended if anyone cares...

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I was never over keen on him, this may have changed my mind.

Good on him.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I said this on the Wilshere thread: The way we view our players in this country is ridiculous. WIlshere gives a lot of money to charities [no story there - so don't report]. Smokes a fag? [vilified for being a bad role model].

Good on Zlatan. Reading his bio at the moment, cracking read. Highly recommended if anyone cares...

Was meant to check if there's a kindle version, thanks for reminding me!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
1 days wages?

Don't care how many days/hours wages it is, it's a gesture that means a lot. Bloke was only asked to donate a shirt. Instead he does that. Ronaldo gets every bit as much grief as Zlatan but filters it all out and does some good things with his money. As do many footballers e.g. Craig Bellamy, one of everybody's pantomine villain shortlist. Hard to see any negative aspect to the individual gestures.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here