Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Athlete loses gold for removing shirt

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I know he has a history for being an idiot. But doesn't it make a farce of the competition. The other medallists have now been promoted by default.

Because every child sportsman dreams of winning by default.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I'm sure he knows the rules and the consequences so we can't blame BHAFC for this one. :lol:

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I know he has a history for being an idiot. But doesn't it make a farce of the competition. The other medallists have now been promoted by default.

Because every child sportsman dreams of winning by default.

That's like saying a footballer who takes his shirt off celebrating a goal getting a second yellow and thus a red is a farce. (Which it probably is, but everyone knows the rules)

He broke the rules and deserves to be stripped of gold IMO.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
That's a farce. How is the punishment for taking your top off that harsh? Ridiculous. Still, he's French, so that's alright then. I despair.

If that was a British Athlete we would be up in arms.

Pathetic decision in my view

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I understand what you are saying but it devalues the competition given the guy who 'won' was not actually the best athlete at the time. He does seem to be a complete tool though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's like saying a footballer who takes his shirt off celebrating a goal getting a second yellow and thus a red is a farce. (Which it probably is, but everyone knows the rules)

Its actually MUCH worse than the footballer example. In that scenario, the goal has been scored, and the match has been stopped. This guy took his shirt off whilst the 'match' was in play, swinging it over his head as he came down the home straight, and jumped the last barrier. He was taunting his opponents, rather than celebrating.

That's a farce. How is the punishment for taking your top off that harsh? Ridiculous. Still, he's French, so that's alright then. I despair.

If that was a British Athlete we would be up in arms.

Pathetic decision in my view

See above. It was highly disrespectful. Clearly an absolute tosspot. No sympathy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He only followed Burke's instructions.

The sport does resemble a group of new recruits being introduced to Burke and an Albion contract-BANG, they've all scarpered.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

I sort of agree with you, and I sort of don't. I am, however, struggling to articulate my words!!

It just seems to me that the guy won the race. He may have been a numpty in doing it, but he was the fastest man. Now, when the gold medal winner shows the video of his 'victory' to his kids and grandkids they will see him come second. This isn't like the 1988 Olympic 100m final when people were disqualified for being off their face on steroids. This guy just took his top off.

I'm just not sure it is how I would like to win a gold medal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm just not sure it is how I would like to win a gold medal.

I'd need quite a few more to be disqualified before I win gold.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here