Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we really getting in a huff over Stephen Ward?

storer

Nov 28, 2010
Are we all really getting in a strop because Stephen Ward, the 27 year old left back is off to Burnley?

Yes he played well last year to fill the gap, as a loanee, but offer him a three year deal and I think our opinions of him would of quickly matched those of Wolves fans a few years ago...

He was playing to prove a point last year.

Id personally rather see a young Left back on loan, who like Ward last year, has a point to prove

Just because we have lost players, I don't want to see us piece together an ageing/average squad just to shut the moaning fans up. Ie Dobbie and Kemy

Keep the faith

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Can't agree. Ward was excellent last season and with Upson was the reason why our defence was so mean.

Even if he isn't your cup of tea, it would be ridiculous to say that he was just an average squad player.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
not me, just glad that particular hand wringing binfest of an on off will he? won't he? will we? won't we? debacle of transfer that never was is finally over - bring on the youth, it's back to "The Wendy Years" as far as I can see (so long as Solly isn't lured by Southampton).

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Only just realised the deal collapsed:lolol:
Not really surprised as he seems to want a lot of many for an average championship left back...Time chicksen stepped up to the plate,rather chicksen a left back than calderon a right back.No point in chicksen or maxi if they're not gone get a look in for christ sake.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Can't agree. Ward was excellent last season and with Upson was the reason why our defence was so mean.

Even if he isn't your cup of tea, it would be ridiculous to say that he was just an average squad player.

I'm not saying he is poor, I'm saying he is 'competent' but hardly a player to get excited about. Not like the Bridge signing

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think it's more about the Ward fiasco being the icing on a miserable transfer window cake.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
It's not just Ward though is it. The perception at the moment is that we have loadsamoney from sales but can't even sign for a parcel.
We really don't look "competitive". A couple of decent signings would change the mood in an instant.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
It's not losing Ward on his own that's the problem, it's everything else that is going on adding together. Selling players, not singing new ones, losing players we should have signed up long ago, losing players at the last minute to other clubs. I think most people would not be that fussed about Ward as an isolated incident.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It's not just Ward is it? It's selling our best players with no obvious plan to replace them.

We still haven't replaced Barnes or Bridcutt who left last season FFS.

All we keep hearing is how we have missed out on yet another player. The whole thing is amateurish and it's about time we employed somebody who knows what they are doing when it comes to buying players.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013

I think the majority (certainly me) are actually more annoyed that the club made a pigs ear of the signing rather than actually being upset that Ward didn't sign.

I think if we sell another player or hear that we missed out on another target there will be a complete meltdown on here.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I think its more that the season has started and we have not got a left back, yes we have Chicksen but im not sure he will start tommorow and as much as I like Calderon he is not the answer. We have known since May we need a left back and should of offered Wolves a final offer in July and if not accepted should of had someone else in place before the start of the season.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Exactly what I said, I think its a sign of the times when people are getting excited about signing a run of the mill championship defender

This, he was very average but I think it's more to do with principles, the club looks a bit of a mess, things are obversely not right off the field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here