Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What an MBA student would say

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Hi guys
I have been a season ticket holder most of my life and am shocked at the decision making currently at the club.
From a business perspective, it is terribly short-sighted for three reasons:
1. Financial Fair Play is a classic prisoners dilemma. It only works when you have cooperation across all clubs. When we are seemingly the only top-end Championship club overtly complying, it gives all our competitors a huge advantage in buying players and pushing for the Premier League.
2. It has a huge impact on player recruitment, evidenced by Ward and Burnley. If we are seen to be penny-pinching it makes negotiations longer winded and vulnerable to last minute grabs, a la Burnley. Ward will have set the perfect blueprint for future targets.
3. It affects the morale of the fans who pay a large proportion of their disposable income to watch the Albion. Yes - we care about the long term but there is no future if the present feels so precarious.

The above are a vicious circle as the worse we play on the pitch (due to competition being stronger (1) and our weakness in the playing squad (2)), the crowds will decrease (3) which then means less money that worsens (1) and (2) and then (3).

I am surprised that we are being so long term when it is the short term that in some way guarantees the long term.

Just want to point out that I am not prematurely wetting the bed - it just doesn't add up from a rational business perspective which is what I'd have thought is driving the three B's thinking.

FKalinx

P.s. I am not an MBA student - now that is a WASTE of money.

Tyreman123

Jun 27, 2013
I cant argue with these comments! and the main thing ive also found lately is that the morale of many fans is down! However this can change rapidly so lets not spit the dummy till the end of the window..be brave people!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Hi guys
I have been a season ticket holder most of my life and am shocked at the decision making currently at the club.
1. Financial Fair Play is a classic prisoners dilemma. It only works when you have cooperation across all clubs. When we are seemingly the only top-end Championship club overtly complying, it gives all our competitors a huge advantage in buying players and pushing for the Premier League.
2. It has a huge impact on player recruitment, evidenced by Ward and Burnley. If we are seen to be penny-pinching it makes negotiations longer winded and vulnerable to last minute grabs, a la Burnley. Ward will have set the perfect blueprint for future targets.
3. It affects the morale of the fans who pay a large proportion of their disposable income to watch the Albion. Yes - we care about the long term but there is no future if the present feels so precarious.

The above are a vicious circle as the worse we play on the pitch (due to competition being stronger (1) and our weakness in the playing squad (2)), the crowds will decrease (3) which then means less money that worsens (1) and (2) and then (3).

I am surprised that we are being so long term when it is the short term that in some way guarantees the long term.

Just want to point out that I am not prematurely wetting the bed - it just doesn't add up from a rational business perspective which is what I'd have thought is driving the three B's thinking.

FKalinx

So, it's terribly short sighted that we are thinking so long term? Got it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Which is all fine and dandy as long as it is someone else's money being spent on chasing the Premiership.

But this is a critique on decision making. No-one is saying "we should have paid him £5k a week more than the going rate two months ago". Some of our key contracts should have been tied up weeks ago. We could then have played the game with some of the lesser targets. It's totally naiive.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hi guys

FKalinx

I have been an MBA student - it wasn't a waste of money - I gained the qualification about 20 years ago.

And with all due respect, while I wouldn't dispute what you are saying, an analysis worthy of an MBA might be a bit more in-depth and circumspect than that, and would only be worthwhile if it was based on an in-depth analysis of the facts of what was actually going on at the club, not speculation.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But this is a critique on decision making. No-one is saying "we should have paid him £5k a week more than the going rate two months ago". Some of our key contracts should have been tied up weeks ago. We could then have played the game with some of the lesser targets. It's totally naiive.

This is all about money. Football is all about money. It looks more and more likely that our Club simply can't afford to compete without Premiership money.

If we had it all sorted out weeks ago with Wolves - there are still Clubs who could have stepped in and taken the player then.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is all about money. Football is all about money. It looks more and more likely that our Club simply can't afford to compete without Premiership money.

If we had it all sorted out weeks ago with Wolves - there are still Clubs who could have stepped in and taken the player then.
True enough, but we'd have had weeks to source a replacement. Instead, we've got two weeks and the season has now started with Calde playing left back.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I'm not sure DKM. There is more than an element of people management involved here.

Wolves legitimately took the business decision to hang Ward and a few other high earners out to dry. Plenty of people have already pointed out that we needed a left back for the start of the season, but from Ward's perspective maybe he would have liked to have been involved pre-season, moved his family down over the summer and then focussed on his day job for the next 2-3 seasons ? Some people are happy to be paid and will not be phased by training with the youth team and treated like a social leper, others find this hard and can't wait to get away, which is what Wolves intended.

Up until yesterday no competition for his signature had emerged. Ward has now decided that being a premiership squad player, is a better option than being a championship starter. Maybe it is all about money, but just maybe he wants to be part of a team rather than a traded commodity.
For whatever reason this hasn't happened and there are always two sides to the story

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
True enough, but we'd have had weeks to source a replacement. Instead, we've got two weeks and the season has now started with Calde playing left back.

I just think we are being jerked around by agents. I am not sure we are looked at as a Club on the up any more, and for some reason we are a patsy for their negotiations. Did anyone believe that Ward bloke from Derby actually considered us ? His agent was using us - and it apparently worked.

When Burke was on the Albion Roar he was banging on about how they have a list of players for each position. I would love to see what that lists looks like, and what number we end up looking at.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm not sure DKM. There is more than an element of people management involved here.

Wolves legitimately took the business decision to hang Ward and a few other high earners out to dry. Plenty of people have already pointed out that we needed a left back for the start of the season, but from Ward's perspective maybe he would have liked to have been involved pre-season, moved his family down over the summer and then focussed on his day job for the next 2-3 seasons ? Some people are happy to be paid and will not be phased by training with the youth team and treated like a social leper, others find this hard and can't wait to get away, which is what Wolves intended.

Up until yesterday no competition for his signature had emerged. Ward has now decided that being a premiership squad player, is a better option than being a championship starter. Maybe it is all about money, but just maybe he wants to be part of a team rather than a traded commodity.
For whatever reason this hasn't happened and there are always two sides to the story

I have absolutely no knowledge what went on. You may be absolutely correct and Ward was pissed off with us for not getting it sorted leaving him training (apparently) with Jamie O'Hara and someone else.

We don't know that Burnley (and maybe other clubs) were not waiting all along to step in on the deal once the issue of whatever contract payments were agreed. This is pure speculation.

However we were gutted when Bridge went - and we got Ward. Be interesting to see who we get this time.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Business owners make business decisions based on facts. Tony Bloom has all of the facts and most on here don't have any or only very few. That's why I am keeping my powder dry and trusting the man making the decisions who has the facts rather than those on here who know very little

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So what you're saying is: it's all very well having a plan and a vision, but you have to chuck it out of the window from time to time?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
And the reason they didn't step in earlier was that would have started a bidding war with Wolves - and why start that.

Burnley's recruitment task was arguably more daunting than ours this summer. With a small squad, favourites to get relegated, it was no easy task. It still looks like they will fall short on paper, but they are now at a stage where the season is about to start that they can look around and backfill the gaps in their squad - job done. Do I need to make the comparison ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have been an MBA student - it wasn't a waste of money - I gained the qualification about 20 years ago.

And with all due respect, while I wouldn't dispute what you are saying, an analysis worthy of an MBA might be a bit more in-depth and circumspect than that, and would only be worthwhile if it was based on an in-depth analysis of the facts of what was actually going on at the club, not speculation.

I agree with you. How can anyone look at a situation as a Master of BA and then say that they aren't? Why bring up MBA in the first place.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Burnley's recruitment task was arguably more daunting than ours this summer.

What ? They have the Premiership money this season and for a few more. Players want to play in the Premiership. What is daunting about that ?

With a small squad, favourites to get relegated, it was no easy task. It still looks like they will fall short on paper, but they are now at a stage where the season is about to start that they can look around and backfill the gaps in their squad - job done. Do I need to make the comparison ?

No easy task. Really ?

You can't make a comparison between recruitment in the Premiership and the Championship (without parachute money).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here