Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Long sold for £12m!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Panic buy. That's what happens when you sell players all summer and don't replace them. At least Southampton have acted BEFORE the season starts.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't get this. Hull only signed him in January. I thought he'd done ok for them. Do they need the money that badly? Wonder what Hull fans make of it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't get this. Hull only signed him in January. I thought he'd done ok for them. Do they need the money that badly? Wonder what Hull fans make of it.

Surely it's just a simple case of "£12m? Twelve? Please give us a while to talk about that..."

Hull retire to the back of the room, Dragons' Den style.

Mad laughter is heard.

Hull return.

"You've got a deal."

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely it's just a simple case of "£12m? Twelve? Please give us a while to talk about that..."

Mad laughter is heard.

Hull return.

"You've got a deal."

:lolol: Fair enough. I suppose it was more a question of what prompted Southampton to offer it.

Imagine what a club could do in the transfer market if they'd cashed in on players like Saints have...oh.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Mad laughter is heard.

Hull return.

"You've got a deal."

Pretty similar to what happened with Ulloa, although I doubt it took us that long to bite Leicester's arm off

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just a reminder that Shane Long was the MAKEWEIGHT in a deal for, err, £100,000 that also brought Kevin Doyle to Reading from Ireland. Masterstroke from then manager Steve Coppell and the Reading staff. The two of them must have fetched getting on for £50million in total since.

Best bit of scouting ever?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'd be all over some panic buys.

Better than inertia.

Great, contact TB and tell them you've got the cash. Who do you want to help us buy? It won't matter if they're crap, it won't be the club that suffers.

They've overpaid by a few million but Southampton can afford it given the crazy money they've had in - seems to me a smart move to replace Lambert with a more mobile, younger player. It looks intelligent squad building to me, don't understand the laughter - unles it's gallows humour at our transfer efforts

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was talking to a Southampton sth yesterday, he says the natives are a tad unhappy at this, to say the least

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
They've overpaid by a few million but Southampton can afford it given the crazy money they've had in - seems to me a smart move to replace Lambert with a more mobile, younger player. It looks intelligent squad building to me, don't understand the laughter - unles it's gallows humour at our transfer efforts

I have just read the Mark McGhee quotation at the bottom of your post. Truly moving stuff. What a shame it didn't work out

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Bit much for a player who has NEVER scored 10 league goals in a season, makes Ulloa, Jelavic and Lambert look like bargins in comparison. Note this is that same price as Swansea paid for Bony a few years ago...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here