Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why football is mental.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I wonder what the Waffer theen mint, will turn out to be?

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
It makes no sense to me. But players from earlier decades must be aghast at the money paid for players who are not that good, and worst of all, can't be arsed.

Yes, I worked on a building site with Bobby Tambling ( Chelsea legend ) he was on the hod being bossed around. He moaned about the modern game every tea break

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I have been a season ticket holder now for 28 years. Call that an average of £350 a year and the collective money I have spent pays for ONE WEEK of Kemy Agustien playing for The Albion.

Madness I tell ya!

Given the choice I'm sure you'd have spent your hard earned on something a lot better than a weeks worth of Agustien.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I have been a season ticket holder now for 28 years. Call that an average of £350 a year and the collective money I have spent pays for ONE WEEK of Kemy Agustien playing for The Albion.

Madness I tell ya!

That's a good post, really puts things in pespective.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Madness I tell ya!
Indeed. It's why the club are 'stupid' to piss off fans by charging booking fees and by making sure the Harveys at the stadium is the most expensive in Sussex. They lose all that goodwill to generate barely enough income to pay part of the wages of some of the crap signings. With the amount of income the club generates we should be absolutely rolling in money, the fact we still make a stonking great loss each year just shows how ****ed football is. I remember, when we were still at Withdean, 'Insider' saying that the break-even figure for attendances at Falmer would be about 14,000 - 16,000. It just shows how costs have shot up that an average attendance of nearly double that is still nowhere near enough.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Average of £350 over 28 years seems a bit high?

Also, of those moaning about football salaries, how many subscribe to sky sports?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Indeed. It's why the club are 'stupid' to piss off fans by charging booking fees and by making sure the Harveys at the stadium is the most expensive in Sussex. They lose all that goodwill to generate barely enough income to pay part of the wages of some of the crap signings. With the amount of income the club generates we should be absolutely rolling in money, the fact we still make a stonking great loss each year just shows how ****ed football is. I remember, when we were still at Withdean, 'Insider' saying that the break-even figure for attendances at Falmer would be about 14,000 - 16,000. It just shows how costs have shot up that an average attendance of nearly double that is still nowhere near enough.

Sadly it is the Bosman ruling that ruined everything. Agreed that there was some exploitation before but since then the world has gone mad. If a top premier player can earn £100K a week then that ridiculous salary filters down. Journeyman footballers are getting £15-£20K - Madness.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly it is the Bosman ruling that ruined everything. Agreed that there was some exploitation before but since then the world has gone mad. If a top premier player can earn £100K a week then that ridiculous salary filters down. Journeyman footballers are getting £15-£20K - Madness.

Yes indeed. I have no problems with players earning high salaries, but it has to be affordable. You hear of all these clubs where the wage bill actually exceeds turnover which is insanity. Personally I blame the fans. Fans demand signings, clubs offer money they haven't got to try and appease the fans (and other clubs have to do the same to compete thus raising costs for everybody), then the clubs get into financial troubles and the fans say "Help us! It's not our fault we're in the shit!" Ok, maybe not directly it isn't, but if football is a Shakspearean tragedy then the fans are Lady Macbeth.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Some exploitation!!! Exactly what do you think the maximum wage was? That existed from 1901 to 1961. That said, I don't think the Bosman ruling started everything. That was in 1995. The problem was that Football realised it had a marketable product and from accepting what BBC and ITV paid them, they went to dictating what they paid them. Then Sky came in with the millions and the rest is history.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Does it really need explaining?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Maximum wage in 1961 was £20 per week. I'm guessing that it was about 2/6d in old money ( 12 1/2p in new ) to get in. Therefore players wages represented 160x admission money.
Today, average wages in the PL are approx £25k per week. Average admission price must be about £35. Therefore players wages represent over 700x admission money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here