Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Agents.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In life, when has a middle man really been all that beneficial to anyone?

This. All people with the word 'agent' in their job title are generally leaches that add no value to any transaction or contract negotiations. Employment agents are particularly useless.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They are parasites attracted by the huge amounts of money in football. Very very rich parasites by all accounts. I wonder just how much extra the Burnley deal is worth to Ward's particular piece of shit that hangs off his ass? I bet it's 5 figures.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Agents get the best deals for their clients,transfer windows are killing the game,also parachute money,if you're stupid enough to pay big bucks and not have a relegation clause then that's your tough shit.

Beg to differ, transfer windows are great!

How would you feel being 3 points of the playoffs come March and then we selling Ulloa and Buckley??

The window gives many more advantages than it does disadvantages.

Imagine a youngster coming through the ranks, plays 3 months of superb football week in week out then whoosh an offer too good to turn down comes in.

At least when the window is closed you can protect your playing assets.

The problem is not with Agents either, when a player is looking for a new club how is he supposed to get up and down the country to speak to any interested parties whilst still continuing to carry out has daily duties and the club he is currently contracted too?

SKY are not the problem either, they pay a fee to match the demand. (Example would you be moaning about a £20 a month season ticket increase if we WERE in the premier league? Even if you did and refused to renew someone else would want to watch premier league players at the Amex and would replace your head count)

The issue sits with the games governing bodies and the fact not one of them has got the balls to implement a wage cap, players would then truly sign for the club they felt would give them the best opportunity and success, and i doubt many would leave clubs they supported as a child if there is no difference in wages to be gained.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Money from TV has made footballers into a celebrity status that 99.9% do not deserve.
Agents help inflate the ego of their players to ensure they rinse as much money as possible from clubs.
However whilst they get rich slowly and surely the fans get priced out the game more and more.
It is sad what football has become. Agents are getting what they can whilst it lasts

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It may well be that FFP is starting to have an effect - perhaps agents can see that they cannot rely on as many Championship Clubs anymore to give their clients a big pay day, so if a PL team comes knocking then they take it. I know that this has usually been the case in the past as well, but perhaps this transfer window the effect is even worse?

Says a lot about the players too, that many seem happy to go and warm a subs bench or play reserve team football in the PL, than actually playing week in week out in the championship.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure what the Ward, Buckely or Clayton deals have to do how agents are ruining football.

How are agents ruining football? how has football been ruined?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just to comment that the good old Albion are not always the victim in this. A couple of years ago I was sitting in my daughter's front room in Leicestershire and reading the Leicester mercury, where Sven Goran Eriksson was writing about how much he was looking forward to working with a particular forward when he signed.

That forward was Craig Mackail-Smith, and a couple of days later, he signed for us.

But the whole Ward thing is intensely annoying. And I think Ward is a decent bloke so can't help thinking he is just a pawn in all this.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Just to comment that the good old Albion are not always the victim in this. A couple of years ago I was sitting in my daughter's front room in Leicestershire and reading the Leicester mercury, where Sven Goran Eriksson was writing about how much he was looking forward to working with a particular forward when he signed.

That forward was Craig Mackail-Smith, and a couple of days later, he signed for us.

But the whole Ward thing is intensely annoying. And I think Ward is a decent bloke so can't help thinking he is just a pawn in all this.

Absolutely, it's swings and roundabouts. This window seems that we've been mainly on the receiving end of some unpleasant transfer business.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Much as I agree that money has had some adverse effects on football, it's the sport itself which has the vast majority of control over how that cash is used. It's not Sky or BT' fault that much of it goes out of the game and into the pockets of players and agents. You'd be more accurate to blame the Bosman ruling and the power of Europe's biggest clubs.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That of course is true, but SKY is the company that literally changed football from a competitive (relatively speaking) game into a game of haves and have nots.

I thought it was the creation of the Premier League which was the decision of the top clubs.

But yeah it was open shop then. In the last 11 years only four clubs have won the Premier League. In the last 11 years of the Football League Division a massive FOUR clubs won the title

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
That of course is true, but SKY is the company that literally changed football from a competitive (relatively speaking) game into a game of haves and have nots.

They are also the same company that allowed TOP foreign players to come to out shores and play football.

Bergkamp
Henry
Cantona
Zola
Poyet
Suarez
Drogba

Too name only a few would never have even considered playing in England had the financial incentive not been there.

Its fine the BEST players being paid a fortune but the problem remains in that everybody else in the premier league is also paid a fortune, even if there :shit:

I know of one player currently playing on the lower leagues that was at Arsenal and as a apprentice was on £80k a year!!! Not only that they were given a brand new £60k Merc to drive around in.

£80k a year at 17!!! how many fully grown qualified adults on here earn £80k a year???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here