Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A fire sale when there hasn't been a fire

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Is that a fair description of our recent open exit door policy? That phrase seems to be knocking around in my head when watching all this hullabaloo/shenanigans/kerfuffle.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Trouble is, there is a £14M fire somewhere in there.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Trouble is, there is a £14M fire somewhere in there.

And it's not exactly BURNING a hole in their pocket. I'm here all week, try the veal etc.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Fire sale means selling in a panic when you are in a weak position and not getting the true value.

I don't think for one second we have been in a weak position. I don't think we have sold anyone undervalue. Do you really?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ah, buzzwords. So often misused.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I think that whilst it does look like that, that isn't really what has happened. Ulloa, Buckley, Upson and Bridcutt all got offered the chance to play Premier League football. Higher lever. More money. They must have wanted to leave. We got a fair price for the 3 that got sold. Upson leaving would have also freed up a chunk of wages to reinvest. Selling these players isn't a fire sale, it's just the normal mechanics of the football league transfer market. Bigger club at a higher level comes in for best players of club lower down the pyramid. The other players that got released would have just been a case of freeing up wages (Kuszczak) and getting rid of some of the dead wood (Orlandi, Lopez).

So long as we bring in able replacements, which I don't think we have yet, all will be fine.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fire sale means selling in a panic when you are in a weak position and not getting the true value.

I don't think for one second we have been in a weak position. I don't think we have sold anyone undervalue. Do you really?

Totally fair point, in terms of the prices we've achieved. But it's still a clear out like I can't ever remember seeing before.

It's all just so damn STRANGE. I wonder whether something larger isn't afoot (I have no idea what).

It's slightly similar to what has happened to Southampton, only that they seem slightly cleverer in finding replacements - that Tadic is some player

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At a pinch, could be a way of re-energising the playing side. Most of these on the way out have had one or two bites at the play-off cherry and been found wanting. OK, against Derby we probably had no real right to be there in the first place and were found out as seriously unworthy of progressing any further, but there was no excuse against Palace the previous season. As a minimum, a place in the play-off final was there for the taking, if that set of players could have been collectively arsed to raise their game, despite Poyet's antics. That was the big chance, and it don't come round too often. We blew it bigtime, and the fact that palace survived their first season in the big boys club only makes it worse. In the grand scheme of things would far rather have a group of unsung players hungry for success or at least a Wembley final. Bit of team spirit wouldn't go amiss, it served us well at Withdean.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Just a changing of the guard innit. Happens every now and again.

When they change the guard, doesn't another set of guards normally turn up? Anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont see its a fire sale for reasons covered. we've moved players on for good money.

more concerned with what we do now with cash in hand and two weeks to do business. at its core we have some good, if young players. 3 or 4 should make it a decent side, a couple more for depth and it starts to look like a good squad. the money is there, the new manager has had time to evaluate, lets wait a while before wetting the bed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here