Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do Albion sell at the right time ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In the last few seasons here's a quick look at what happens next for players released or sold at the Amex...

Upson _ injured and out for 3 months
Bridge - injured, played handful games for Reading, retired.
Vicente - couldn't find another club, retired.
Bridcutt - jury's out. Still finding feet at Sunderland
El Abd - sold to League 1 team. Hasn't established himself in first team.
Lopez - contract with 2nd tier Spanish team.
Kuz - still hasn't found contract.
Brez - no contract
Orlandi - Blackpool ...good luck but that's probably not where he was hoping to end up.
Barnes - on bench at best at Burnley. Only a couple of starts so far. Let's see this season.
Noone - injured. Several bright performances in 2 years but not first team regular.
Dobbie - some ok performances for Palace but as the saying goes "always on loan" - now Fleetwood Town
Hammond - mixed season ..
Ulloa / Buckley / Andrews (Watford) - wait and see...
Navarro, Dicker, Painter - L1 etc

Conway/Vokes - perhaps not.
Lingard - still chance he's coming back ...
Cook/Elphick - still progressing. V. Rare example of young players improving on leaving club.

Murray - everyone forgets season 1...7 goals.

So it's hardly a glorious record when players choose to leave or are sold despite the initial gloom. It's been a very mixed if not disappointing outcome for players exiting the Amex. And if players want to play in Prem hard to prevent it...TB described Bridcutt as "desperate to ") Perhaps in spite of everything the club are quite good at spotting the right moment especially given injuries, value, contract length, desire of player to leave, and ability to find likely replacements (wait and see on that one for 14/15!!)

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
We're very good at selling at the right time. The club are also very good at bringing players in. The only problem is though, they haven't brought many in for this window. But there's still time to rectify that :)

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
It's almost impossible to know whether we have 'sold at the right time' or not. If the players had stayed, their contributions to our team may have been good enough to get us promotion the last couple of seasons, which would have inflated their prices further.

Barnes, for example, although may be starting on the bench in the prem for Burnley, would no doubt be doing a decent job for us now if we hadn't have sold him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We didn't release Bridge though, nor Conway, Vokes or Lingard. They finished their loan contracts and went elsewhere, their choice.

But interesting though.

Yep. Of course. Loan/contract. But often perception that we should have "held on to them" although that's often impractical due to wages/parent club.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A player getting injured at a new club does not mean he would of been inured if he stayed with us..

Yep. In the world of what ifs and buts, who knows...but interesting how few sales have worked out ...

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Good post Jem. I agree with vast majority of decisions but you can't say it was wise of the club to to release Glenn Murray surely? And in my view, despite his last season, Orlandi was worth a short-term deal to prove himself especially as the club are so desperately short of creativity. I've always taken the view there's absolutely no point in hanging onto players who want to leave, especially to go to "better" things. My beef would be that with Bridcutt, the club sold him cheaply after a farcical stand-off for months. How was that good for anyone? and we've not replaced him adequately. Yes we got top dollar for Ulloa but very much linked to this of course is signing players to replace the departed. And on that, the jury is very much out. As we all know, the problem is how does Club replace our best players within a FFP wage structure? We'll know in a couple of weeks.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
In terms of our high profile transfers they have left when it is advantageous. Ulloa for 8 million (2 more from add ons) is a great bit of money and many people on here had previously said 5 million would have been a good amount. Bridcutt went for 2.5/3 which is fair considering his form was poor under Garcia and we had the likes of Ince to replace him, and Buckley has been tripe since the play offs under Poyet, even before he was injury prone and inconsistent, seemed to only perform for high profile games and had a longing to leave with the others for the premiership. Doubled our money for Buckley too. Although it must be said the money is only as good as what we reinvest it in and i fear we may be the new Leeds who get plundered for our best players. One positive though is that we will be a desirable club arguably in the eyes of potential signings wanting to climb the ladder to the premiership, not only do we stand a shot ourselves over the next few seasons but we allow players to leave when they have the chance at a higher level and the fee agreed is fair, look at Bennet, Noone (within a seasons in the perm), Barnes (within six months), Ulloa, Bridcutt, and Buckley, must have a higher chance of playing in the top flight than most of our competitors.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Good post Jem. I agree with vast majority of decisions but you can't say it was wise of the club to to release Glenn Murray surely? ...Orlandi was worth a short-term deal to prove himself especially as the club are so desperately short of creativity. I've always taken the view there's absolutely no point in hanging onto players who want to leave, especially to go to "better" things. My beef would be that with Bridcutt, the club sold him cheaply after a farcical stand-off for months. How was that good for anyone? .

Murray ? - in hindsight looks a nightmare but we didn't have Zaha at full throttle playing to his strengths in 12/13 so who knows. CMS scored more than him in 11/12.

Bridcutt- wanted to go but not until Gus had rocked up somewhere so had to be January window but was a bit drawn out. These things often are.

Orlandi - i think club thought they gambled last season and it didn't work out. Pale reflection of 12/13 unfortunately. Also injury risk. Might come off at Blackpool but it would be a surprise.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They certainly sell season tickets at the right time

It's a good quip but
Season tickets have been on sale since March. Most of the renewals were back then against a backdrop of Albion looking likely to finish top 10 at best and with , as some see it, likelihood of OG's cautious style of play continuing for another season at least.
Demand for the Albion and willingness to pay isn't exhaustive but currently stronger than we'd like to admit. It can cope with will Buckley being on the bench at Sunderland I should think...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here