Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will somebody please explain

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
How it is that other clubs manage to get their transfer targets in ( from us, for example) by the start of the season but we are being told to wait for the start of September when we will have played at least five games?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Read the other threads FFS!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A lot of clubs don't.

That's why there is such a frenzy at the end of the window, and Sky Sports News has wall-to-wall coverage of Jim Whatsisface and cameras positioned outside stadiums and training grounds, where reporters are surrounded by over-excited fans, often acting like idiots.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's all part of the masterplan, to give everyone else a head start, while we play the weaker sides in the first five games. Then when everyone thinks we are shite and takes us for granted, we bash everyone up, go on a thirty game unbeaten run and walk the league. Or maybe it's we got no sense of planning what so ever, when we knew we were going to be at least 6 light in the squad, at the end of last season.....Take your pick.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's a strategy (whether it's an effective one you will know come Sept) the idea is that wages/fees will come down the nearer we get to the end of the window and that we will get more bang for our buck in the final few days than we would earlier in the window. Spurs have been doing this for years with varying degrees of success. Come Sept 2nd we will be sitting here wondering at the genius of the club or staring relegation in the face or most likely somewhere between the two...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No idea mate. But seriously starting to get to get fed up with it.

If the club have no money or cant afford any players then just come out and say it. All the rubbish about being competitive this season, I would rather they were just bloody honest. When we were at Withdean, I knew not to expect any players and have a thin squad but it didn't stop me from supporting the team.

It's all about managing expectations. If you are expecting to pick up a Ford from the garage and that is what you get, then you are happy. If you're told you are getting a BMW but get given a Ford then you're pissed off. I know it is an odd analogy and I have nothing against Ford cars; had a few myself, but you get my drift.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It's a strategy (whether it's an effective one you will know come Sept) the idea is that wages/fees will come down the nearer we get to the end of the window and that we will get more bang for our buck in the final few days than we would earlier in the window. Spurs have been doing this for years with varying degrees of success. Come Sept 2nd we will be sitting here wondering at the genius of the club or staring relegation in the face or most likely somewhere between the two...

Hope your right. Just cant see it myself.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
All the funds have gone on the training ground, I don't think we got a pot to piss in atm. Unless Bloom bankrolls it himself, which I can't see happening. Players will come in, of that I have no doubt, but I don't expect anything other than a few journeymen and a few loans.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
How it is that other clubs manage to get their transfer targets in ( from us, for example) by the start of the season but we are being told to wait for the start of September when we will have played at least five games?

Do tell which clubs you refer to, please separate the 10 clubs with parachute payments.

Thanks

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
The master plan is that with the funds we have accumulated we will be bringing in a series of season long loans of players from Prem Clubs. we can't be certain of who we are targeting until after the clubs have determined their final 25s.

This is the new cute way of doing business, getting seasoned talent in without any capital outlay. Watch this space. It would not make sense for the club to publicise his strategy at this stage, would it?

KTF

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hope your right. Just cant see it myself.

Not sure it'll work either. They could pick up some really good players on good deals as people suddenly want to compromise as they stare FFP/ PL squads of 25, in the face or they could be left with nothing but a few loans and a relegation battle...

I just can't see what other strategy is being employed at this stage otherwise.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'd like to think that ALL the other clubs are just panic buying any old player whilst we are waiting in the WINGS to SWOOP for the hidden quality.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A lot of clubs don't.

That's why there is such a frenzy at the end of the window, and Sky Sports News has wall-to-wall coverage of Jim Whatsisface and cameras positioned outside stadiums and training grounds, where reporters are surrounded by over-excited fans, often acting like idiots.

Little chance that happening at the Amex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here