Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Tony Bloom poker analogy (sorry)

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
In poker you start with a stack of chips. You get dealt cards every hand. You can bet some of your chips if you think you have a good hand. However, this doesn't mean you will always win.

At the start of the season Tony Bloom had a good stack but was looking to add to his chips. However, in the course of a few hands some bets were made that, as much as he would like to, Tony couldn't call. So his stack has reduced. And again. And now again.

Tony finds his stack below where he would like it to be. So, what does he do? Does he overbet on hands that he should bet modestly? Does he go all in when he should probably fold? Does he play a risky strategy that could see his stack improve but also really risk what he currently has? Does he go on tilt?

No. He waits. He waits until the hand is right. And then he plays his cards perfectly, improving his stack.

Ultimately, what I have just written is probably a load of tosh. But the message is correct. Yes it's frustrating that we seem to be losing our best players and not replacing them. Yes it's frustrating that we are seemingly doing nothing to bring in new players. Yes it's frustrating that other clubs are doing a lot of business. But at the end of the day, there are many ways to play the game and it just happens that Bloom's is generally the most successful.

Keep the faith!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
mmm not sure I agree with your analogy - a good poker player should never play hands they shouldnt play... to be fair I have watch TB play poker many times and dont think he is that good!

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
He's got the biggest stack in the Championship now, with the chips from the sales of Ulloa, Bridcutt, Buckley and Bennett in his stack.

He's waiting for all the other big clubs to fritter their chips away and then will start bullying the table but making bets (offering to buy players no one else can afford at reduced prices) no other player can call.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
In poker you start with a stack of chips. You get dealt cards every hand. You can bet some of your chips if you think you have a good hand. However, this doesn't mean you will always win.

At the start of the season Tony Bloom had a good stack but was looking to add to his chips. However, in the course of a few hands some bets were made that, as much as he would like to, Tony couldn't call. So his stack has reduced. And again. And now again.

Tony finds his stack below where he would like it to be. So, what does he do? Does he overbet on hands that he should bet modestly? Does he go all in when he should probably fold? Does he play a risky strategy that could see his stack improve but also really risk what he currently has? Does he go on tilt?

No. He waits. He waits until the hand is right. And then he plays his cards perfectly, improving his stack.

Ultimately, what I have just written is probably a load of tosh. But the message is correct. Yes it's frustrating that we seem to be losing our best players and not replacing them. Yes it's frustrating that we are seemingly doing nothing to bring in new players. Yes it's frustrating that other clubs are doing a lot of business. But at the end of the day, there are many ways to play the game and it just happens that Bloom's is generally the most successful.

Keep the faith!
well put don't panic good draw tonight and a full Amex against Man U or Crawley happy days again!

mmm not sure I agree with your analogy - a good poker player should never play hands they shouldnt play... to be fair I have watch TB play poker many times and dont think he is that good!

Ha ha - sacrilege

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here