Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trouble / violence at gigs.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Was having a conversation at work earlier with colleagues on this very topic.
We spoke about the likes of the Specials and Sham 69, where it seemed as though trouble at these gigs was the norm.
My mate was saying that the Jam gigs could also be a little lively and he said his best friend had his nose broken at one of their gigs.
Just wondering if anyone over the years had witnessed or heard stories on this topic and would like to share them with us.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Funny you should mention it - In 16 years of religous gig going encompassing metal, noise, indie, dance, punk from 100 capacity toilets to festival headlines I've never really seen any trouble.

Then last night at Slint (who are the least likely band to have people fighting) I witnessed a "fight." Handbags really, I'm sure they'll be some far fruitier stories out there.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Back in 1979, I started to follow The Cure - this was very much the era of aggro at gigs, Sham 69 etc. Anyway, after a gig in Canterbury, I managed to have a chat with Robert Smith, who was a very friendly, intelligent guy. I asked him why they hadn't played the song "Killing An Arab", which had been a minor hit for them. He explained that the British Movement had latched on to this song, thinking it some kind of racist anthem (it was actualy based on Albert Camus "L'Etranger, which RS had studied for his French A Level !) so they decided to drop it from their set as they just didn't want that kind of element at their gigs.

There's a great story in Danny Baker's autobiog that talks about violence at a Specials gig. Close run thing !

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
At the Jam's last Hoorah in Brighton 1982 we were approaching a set of the big double wooden doors with tickets in hand to access the floor when a large no. of parka clad yoofs appeared with gallery seated tickets. When this was calmly pointed out by the attendant on duty at these doors he was quite violently swept aside with considerable force involving punches (not fully aware of his injuries but it wasn't a minor scratch) and entrance was gained.
You know who you were! I do. :wink:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Were you at the Buzzcocks gig at the Top Rank in 78?/79?

Steve Diggle got a full beer can in his groin, the band went off.

Then it kicked off. I remember walking up to the Clock Tower and a massive (about 7ft?) speaker was being liberated up the road.

The there was the Clash at Crawley Leisure Centre in '78, Suicide supporting, Coventry Automatics (later to become The Specials) 3rd on the bill. For some reason Jimmy Pursey was there amd did the vocals on White Riot during the encore.

Suicide lasted about 2 numbers before the skins got on stage and proceed to wrap the singers microphone lead round his neck!

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
In 1978 Stiff Little Fingers were supported by the Donkeys seem to remember the lead singer in the crowd fighting before they walked off....also the Two Tone Tour at the Top Rank - that was the gig that had the most volatile atmosphere I have ever experienced...great time though

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Worst violence I've seen at gigs were at thrash gigs at The Astoria. At a Sabbat gig a security guy grabbed a female fan by the hair and started a riot as the crowd and and band ganged up on bouncers and eventually had them removed from the crowd. Once the security had gone the mood went from ugly to party as the remainder of the gig was played with half the crowd on the stage with the band. Following that gig Kreator played and the audience (including myself) got maced by security again causing a riot. I had also heard at that show a fan was taken outside and brutally beaten. It was a bad time for thrash gigs and security. After the Kreator incident the venue reviewed it's policies and the security became more concerned with audience welfare rather than confrontation and good times returned to the gig circuit.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Was at the Jam gig at the Brighton Centre in 1980 or 81 (80 I think) and a punk turned up in full gear. He got a good kicking by the moped lads, sadly. That is the only violence i have witnessed at a gig.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Was listening to a concert by Eek-A-Mouse in Rhode Island last night...fight breaks out in the middle of the concert.. ..not totally unusual in reggae concerts surprisingly, and sadly...

I hired a club in Brighton, and the bouncers tried to throw ME out?... told the owner to get rid of the wankers...they left, and came back and wanted to fight all of us..
police turned up before anything happened though..

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Were you at the Buzzcocks gig at the Top Rank in 78?/79?

Steve Diggle got a full beer can in his groin, the band went off.

Then it kicked off. I remember walking up to the Clock Tower and a massive (about 7ft?) speaker was being liberated up the road.

The there was the Clash at Crawley Leisure Centre in '78, Suicide supporting, Coventry Automatics (later to become The Specials) 3rd on the bill. For some reason Jimmy Pursey was there amd did the vocals on White Riot during the encore.

Suicide lasted about 2 numbers before the skins got on stage and proceed to wrap the singers microphone lead round his neck!

At the Top Rank I saw a pint of beer thrown at Henry Cluney of SLF,
lucky it was a plastic cup.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
At the Jam's last Hoorah in Brighton 1982 we were approaching a set of the big double wooden doors with tickets in hand to access the floor when a large no. of parka clad yoofs appeared with gallery seated tickets. When this was calmly pointed out by the attendant on duty at these doors he was quite violently swept aside with considerable force involving punches (not fully aware of his injuries but it wasn't a minor scratch) and entrance was gained.
You know who you were! I do. :wink:

If I recall Bruce Foxton got hit by a wayward bottle and the band went off/stopped for a bit before a passionate lecture by the soon solo bassist. (Though back at the same venue Saturday week I believe)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I went to see The Stranglers at Crawley Leisure Centre in I don't know what year - late 70s I'm guessing. It got invaded by a whole heap of Teddy Boys looking to beat up a few punks. Me and my mate had to escape over a ladder placed over the fence at the back of the leisure centre

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I used to be good mates with a skinhead punk band called the Last Resort. Went to a gig years ago at Ladbroke Grove where the locals got wind that a bunch of east end skinheads were so to say on their manor. Pub was attacked with windows smashed and locals charging the front doors with all sorts of weapons. Seriously scary. Other memory was of going to see Penetration at the roundhouse and having to run a gauntlet of skins taking turns to smack people on the way in. Then they later got in and all hell broke loose. Those were the days!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The first gig I ever attended was UB40 just after Labour of Love had gone big at the Brighton Centre, about 1984. Suddenly a big old scrap breaks out in the standing area and Ali Campbell should midsong "NO! GET HIM OUT!" and points at some perpetrator.

All that and the two middle eastern gentlemen sitting next to me were so stoned off the aromatic cigarettes they were enjoying, they had no idea whether they were watching UB40 or Holiday on Ice. All hugely impressive for a 13 year old.

were you at the buzzcocks gig at the top rank in 78?/79?

Steve diggle got a full beer can in his groin, the band went off.

Then it kicked off. I remember walking up to the clock tower and a massive (about 7ft?) speaker was being liberated up the road.

The there was the clash at crawley leisure centre in '78, suicide supporting, coventry automatics (later to become the specials) 3rd on the bill. For some reason jimmy pursey was there amd did the vocals on white riot during the encore.

buzzcocks was a riot and the clash at Crawley with suicide was funny "your all gonna die" then the skin jumped up! Seem to recall Croydon v Brighton skins v punks and then we just swerved the crawley smoothies outside after the gig! Great night!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Early 80's (I think).... Sham 69, Top Rank...... London skins vs Pompey Skins, Brighton skins in between, mayhem...band chased off stage, instruments trashed......what a good night.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I had a couple of mates who were at the infamous Madness Gig at Ingilston Showgrounds in December 92,where Hibs fought with Rangers ,Motherwell ,Skinheads and Doorstaff using Scaffold Poles ,bottles,Golf Clubs,Chains and Hammers .Personally Macc Lads Gigs were always fun.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here