Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wigman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was having a conversation at work earlier with colleagues on this very topic.
    We spoke about the likes of the Specials and Sham 69, where it seemed as though trouble at these gigs was the norm.
    My mate was saying that the Jam gigs could also be a little lively and he said his best friend had his nose broken at one of their gigs.
    Just wondering if anyone over the years had witnessed or heard stories on this topic and would like to share them with us.
    Went to see 999 at the Richmond once and it was stormed by skinheads who wanted to beat up the punks. Me and my mate just looked like your average students so were ignored by both sides as the punches were flying. Reminiscent of the bad old days of football violence when it was casual crew v casual crew, and providing you weren't wearing Fred Perry or Pringle no-one would pay any attention.
    *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Got quite feisty in Manchester one night, 2005 I think, when my Mrs nicked a pint off another bird. She pointed it out to her mate and the two blokes she was with and I had to calm the situation down.

Kylie was brilliant though.
      "I never mentioned horses!"
      A different kind of pasty pasty's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Earning some serious brownie points a few years back I took Mrs P and her daughter to see Robbie Williams and Olly Murs at Wembley. Didn't expect to see this

Be dangerous. It's careful out there

1 Not allowed!
      some bloke disrespected ginger spice at one or the reyounion concerts so i was about to teach him a lesson but my mum wouldnt let me as they were about to song when too become one other wise there would have been serious damage

Regards
      DR
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Only really been at a couple of gigs that got lively in an unfriendly way. Upstarts at the Nashville was stormed by a gang with stanley knives, and the Beat (I think) at the Top Rank when NF came in kicking and shouting. Been to loads of punk gigs that involved a fair bit of energy, but never a problem.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by pasty View Post
      Earning some serious brownie points a few years back I took Mrs P and her daughter to see Robbie Williams and Olly Murs at Wembley. Didn't expect to see this

Had someone spotted Murs in the crowd? Fair play if so.
      "I never mentioned horses!"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob! View Post
      Were you at the Buzzcocks gig at the Top Rank in 78?/79?

Steve Diggle got a full beer can in his groin, the band went off.

Then it kicked off. I remember walking up to the Clock Tower and a massive (about 7ft?) speaker was being liberated up the road.

The there was the Clash at Crawley Leisure Centre in '78, Suicide supporting, Coventry Automatics (later to become The Specials) 3rd on the bill. For some reason Jimmy Pursey was there amd did the vocals on White Riot during the encore.

Suicide lasted about 2 numbers before the skins got on stage and proceed to wrap the singers microphone lead round his neck!
      I fondly remember that Buzzcocks gig. One copper on the dancefloor, truncheon drawn, and all kinds of stuff being lobbed down from the balcony. People wandering off up West Street after with bits of their kit. It was a shocking gig though.

Most scary was certainly Sham69 at top rank. We had a game that evening (can't recall who it was but it was a London team). Had left game bit early and a couple of oppo fans at Hove station warned us that it would kick off.............and it most certainly did. Usually the bouncers at the Top Rank were heavy -handed bullies. That night they were nowhere to be seen. Rather than taking my place at the front as I usually would do, I stood at the bottom of the stairs in order to make a quick getaway!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      Used to go and see the Pirahnas regularly back then - good times! And a couple of my pals were in Chicane too!
      Was a regular at Pirahnas gigs at the Alhambra (and wherever else they played). Went up to a couple of London gigs with them too - which were uneventful (fortunately)!

Happy days. Great memories
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Return of the Rev View Post
      sunday at the alhambra surely
      Yes indeed. It was the Alhambra (RIP) on a Sunday night.

I remember the night John Peel turned up and rather than the 30-40 regulars there was a huge queue to get in and it looked like we would get locked out until their manager recognised me and pulled me straight to the front of the queue. Happy days!

Nicky & The Dots was another favourite of that era (remember they seemed to play the Richmond mostly)