Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It feels a bit like the end of an era

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Ulloa, Orlandi, Barnes, Bridcutt, Upson, Kuszczak, Lopez all gone and now Buckley on his way too. Gone is the tika-taka latin mentality of Poyet and Garcia.

It feels like the inital 'Amex era' is over and we're now heading into the next phase with Hyypia.

Please note I'm not bemoaning all of these players going and saying this is the worst team we've had or that we'll get relegated. Nothing like that. Merely an observation.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Whatever people think of Gus' conduct, he appears to be right about the club hitting the roof/ceiling of its ambitions and not being able/prepared to invest to get any further.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It's perhaps only now that we can fully appreciate how good that Poyet-era side was in the early Amex days. However let's not forget we made some dodgy signings along the way and not all the football was as pretty (or effective) as we like to remember.

I frankly don't know enough about football to understand what Sami's footballing philosophy is or what to make of the way we've approached games so far (not helped by the fact I have only seen the Wednesday game). We looked muddled on Saturday so perhaps the players don't get it yet either.

Oh well. All part of the job description of being a Brighton fan!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Agreed that Buckley going (at 2.5m I'm pleased with that btw), combined with Ulloa's interview yesterday feels like something of a watershed moment.

Really looking forward to seeing what happens over the next few days.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Whatever people think of Gus' conduct, he appears to be right about the club hitting the roof/ceiling of its ambitions and not being able/prepared to invest to get any further.

That is starting to look like Gus had a point. .........im going to stay positive though and say its just a loll and expect new faces this week

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's perhaps only now that we can fully appreciate how good that Poyet-era side was in the early Amex days.

As I said in the other thread, 2012-13 was the year for us I think - what a squad we had. If only we'd won some of those games when we outclassed the opposition but couldn't take our chances (anyone remember Bolton at home?!) - We'd have won automatic promotion easily

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
This season will truly be the transition season that should've happened last season. The business we now do will determine how deep the transition will cut.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
It really is quite worrying the amount of players we've lost and the lack of replacements, so far. I do have faith in Sami that we'll bring in a few players in the coming few weeks but I just can't help but feel it will be too diffficult to replace what we have lost in such little time and I can't see anything more than a mid table finish at best.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

That's how I interpreted it at the time - I couldn't understand why some fans took exception to those comments. He was saying the club's ambition did not match its financial commitment. This has since been proved many times over. Someone posted the player budgets for all the teams in the Championship that season, and we came out below mid-table yet we finished 4th (and should have been higher). So to that extent he certainly overachieved.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Possibly true, though if we do get established in the Premier League at any point in the next couple of years we might see the comments differently again. Funny how history provides so many moving targets.

Also, and without wishing to rake over all that stuff again, Gus could have made his thoughts known privately rather than in a TV interview after a play-off defeat. But it's water under the bridge now.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was a monumental mistake not matching Gus' ambitions. We could have kept him - and that was before FFP rules came into place. We would probably be / have been a Premier League club by now.

We were never going to keep Mr Ego happy. Once established at BHA, he made it pretty damn clear that this was a short-term stepping stone for him on his way to bigger and better things. He pimped and touted himself about to anyone who would listen and eventually, when the club was entering its most important period in years ( the run-in to the 2013 play-offs ) he showed his true colours. Not only did he enter into secret negotiations with one of our rivals, he then tried to use this as leverage to broker a better deal for himself at BHA. He knew the board would never agree to this and that was his get out plan. Toys out the pram, create a rift, get other parties interested, time to move on.
Never mind that we were entering the play-offs as the form team and this was one of our best chances ever of PL football. That was apparently secondary to the demands of Mr Poyet. He committed the cardinal sin of not putting the club and players first and that is unforgiveable.
Sunderland won't keep him happy either. He will push on with his ambition to get one of the bigger jobs.
Gus Poyet is only interested in one thing. Himself.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This season will truly be the transition season that should've happened last season. The business we now do will determine how deep the transition will cut.

I've thought this for a while...now we have to wait and see don't we...and pick some points up while it all unfolds

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We were never going to keep Mr Ego happy. Once established at BHA, he made it pretty damn clear that this was a short-term stepping stone for him on his way to bigger and better things. He pimped and touted himself about to anyone who would listen and eventually, when the club was entering its most important period in years ( the run-in to the 2013 play-offs ) he showed his true colours. Not only did he enter into secret negotiations with one of our rivals, he then tried to use this as leverage to broker a better deal for himself at BHA. He knew the board would never agree to this and that was his get out plan. Toys out the pram, create a rift, get other parties interested, time to move on.
Never mind that we were entering the play-offs as the form team and this was one of our best chances ever of PL football. That was apparently secondary to the demands of Mr Poyet. He committed the cardinal sin of not putting the club and players first and that is unforgiveable.
Sunderland won't keep him happy either. He will push on with his ambition to get one of the bigger jobs.

We couldn't keep up with his ambition, that's true. He's now in the Premiership, and we're not.

Beautiful football, terrific signings, bought to you by the best manager we've ever had,

Still, you're right, he was ambitious and had an ego. Glad we got rid. :dunce:

It was a monumental mistake not matching Gus' ambitions. We could have kept him - and that was before FFP rules came into place. We would probably be / have been a Premier League club by now.

I think Bloom should have gritted his teeth and toughed it out with Gus for one more season. It would have involved spending more than he would like to and massaging Gus's enormous ego a lot - but people forget just how good that Gus team post Ulloa signing was - it was the best performing team in the division for that second half of the season. We were primed for an automatic promotion run, it could be a few years before we have such an opportunity again at the huge £100m+ revenues.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009

With a few alterations this could be a description of Suarez,must be a Uruguan thing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ulloa, Orlandi, Barnes, Bridcutt, Upson, Kuszczak, Lopez all gone and now Buckley on his way too. Gone is the tika-taka latin mentality of Poyet and Garcia.

It feels like the inital 'Amex era' is over and we're now heading into the next phase with Hyypia.

Please note I'm not bemoaning all of these players going and saying this is the worst team we've had or that we'll get relegated. Nothing like that. Merely an observation.

I think the way Poyet left, and whatever the problem was, because Poyet was very close to the players, it was probably decided to consign as much as the Poyet team as possible to the history books and cash in. Obviously it couldn't happen overnight.

Now it's just a question of how and when Bloom invests in the team. It may work well if the time is after FFP kicks in, but it has to be balanced with attracting good attendances and keeping people intersted.

I still think we bottled a serious promotion push last January, but it's not my plan, it's Blooms.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

He was never going to stay – Gus leaving was totally about him wanting to manage in the Premier League.

There are countless examples of managers stepping up and getting the best out of players. Look at Pulis last season - had the same squad (near enough) as IH, and worked wonders. Gus even did it himself at Sunderland in the end.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
That's how I interpreted it at the time - I couldn't understand why some fans took exception to those comments. He was saying the club's ambition did not match its financial commitment. This has since been proved many times over. Someone posted the player budgets for all the teams in the Championship that season, and we came out below mid-table yet we finished 4th (and should have been higher). So to that extent he certainly overachieved.

Maybe it was when he said it not what he said - that got some of us irrate?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here