Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3-5-2

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Looks like it's going to be all the rage this season in the prem. Utd playing it, Hoddle bought in to QPR to train it...With the players we currently have in squad, surely this would be our best option this season. Greer, Dunk and Hughes at the back, with wing backs pushing up..Thoughts???...I suspect we will start playing it in a few years time, when it's going back out of fashion and not coming into fashion.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Looks like it's going to be all the rage this season in the prem. Utd playing it, Hoddle bought in to QPR to train it...With the players we currently have in squad, surely this would be our best option this season. Greer, Dunk and Hughes at the back, with wing backs pushing up..Thoughts???...I suspect we will start playing it in a few years time, when it's going back out of fashion and not coming into fashion.

I would like to see Dunk playing regularly. He deserves it and would be a real asset. So maybe, just maybe it would work for us.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham

Rekindled by the Dutch at the World Cup. Now Man Utd. Need really, really good wing backs. Could Kaz play wing back?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Utterly disproving the complete fallacy that's been repeatedly been uttered that you can't play with two strikers in the modern age. Utter bollocks so I'm glad that this is happening.

What you need is flexibility of movement in positions as play moves around the pitch, and some really athletic players down the wings (of the Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole mould) to unlock greater attacking capability elsewhere. I hope to see more of this.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Rekindled by the Dutch at the World Cup. Now Man Utd. Need really, really good wing backs. Could Kaz play wing back?

Kaz is nowhere near athletic enough. He is usually blowing out of his arse after 10 minutes on the pitch / a few big runs at the full back.
Probably one the biggest reasons he'll never cut it at the top level.

As said in my other post, it's all about athletic wing backs who can literally run all game but have the ability take on a man, and put in a decent cross.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Kaz is nowhere near athletic enough. He is usually blowing out of his arse after 10 minutes on the pitch / a few big runs at the full back.
Probably one the biggest reasons he'll never cut it at the top level.

As said in my other post, it's all about athletic wing backs who can literally run all game but have the ability take on a man, and put in a decent cross.

Yes, the system is almost totally reliant on extraordinarily good wing-backs, as they provide all the attack and all the defence down the flanks. If they're good enough, it's a great system as you have so many attacking options through the middle and a solid defence. If they're not good enough, you'll be one-dimensional in attack and ripped to shreds defensively.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The system is very reliant on having wingbacks that can run all day long.
I like the idea of Dunk Greer and Hughes
Toko Stephens and 1 other
2 strikers
But i can not see Calderon and Bruno doing that all season long.
In fact i would say the most suited is Chicksen. We won't need a LWB but a RWB

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I personally prefer 4-2-3-1 system.
Still with high full backs
Ince and Toko sitting in.
3 pacy attackers (March, CMS and LuaLusa currently) and Stephens in just behind them.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Man United have apparently been using Valencia and Young as wing backs not orthodox full backs like Calde and Bruno. Both pressed forward admirably on Saturday and did their best, but having run 60 yards up the pitch, they then had no idea how to get past the opposing full back. The point of the wing back system is really about converting wide midfielders to the role as they are naturally attacking players, not trying to teach 30+ years old full backs new tricks. Someone like Conway who we had on loan last season would make a good wing back in my opinion, but not sure we have anyone in the squad at the moment who is really suitable although Solly might be a possibility on the left?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Utterly disproving the complete fallacy that's been repeatedly been uttered that you can't play with two strikers in the modern age. Utter bollocks so I'm glad that this is happening.

What you need is flexibility of movement in positions as play moves around the pitch, and some really athletic players down the wings (of the Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole mould) to unlock greater attacking capability elsewhere. I hope to see more of this.

no - its said that you cant play 4-4-2 in the modern era, not 2 strikers, because otherwise the midfield gets overrun - loads of teams play 2 up front in a 3-5-2 or a diff variation, especially in italy

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Man United have apparently been using Valencia and Young as wing backs not orthodox full backs like Calde and Bruno. Both pressed forward admirably on Saturday and did their best, but having run 60 yards up the pitch, they then had no idea how to get past the opposing full back. The point of the wing back system is really about converting wide midfielders to the role as they are naturally attacking players, not trying to teach 30+ years old full backs new tricks. Someone like Conway who we had on loan last season would make a good wing back in my opinion, but not sure we have anyone in the squad at the moment who is really suitable although Solly might be a possibility on the left?

interestingly juventus used lichsteiner on the right, who started out as a right back, and kwadwo asamoah or simone padoin, who started out as midfielders, on the left in their very successful 3-5-2 they used

looks like either a wide midfielder or full back can work. not sure wingers have the defensive ability to play it

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In effect we were playing it for periods last night, with Ince so deep as to be almost an advanced sweeper between Greer and Dunk.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think I read somewhere that LVG is using at Man Utd more as a necessity than a desire, due to not having the right players at the moment. I could be wrong.

I have no issues with 3-5-2, I used to adopt that quite often when younger and playing Fifa to great effect. As long as the players are comfortable playing it, I don't mind.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Chile adopted it to decent effect at the world cup. As previously mentioned it is reliant on quick mobile technically efficient players, it also relies on the ability to press extremely well in the middle third of the pitch. I would say we are missing a lot of players to be able to play this system currently.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I think 3 - 5 - 2 could work for us, we clearly want to push the full backs on and as we saw on Saturday Greer can push on and Dunk is very comfortable the ball.

If one of the three gets injured or suspended I think Ince could easily swap into the back three.

I would certainly mean pushing more players forward and getting more bodies in the opponents penalty area.

It's a yes from me.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
no - its said that you cant play 4-4-2 in the modern era, not 2 strikers, because otherwise the midfield gets overrun - loads of teams play 2 up front in a 3-5-2 or a diff variation, especially in italy

don't fully agree. last year I heard lots of fans/pundits regularly comment on the move away from two striker formations, not just 4-4-2. As though it were a near impossibility.

Obvious partnerships from last year eg Sturridge/Suarez or Van Persie/Rooney were really where one was playing wide or in a deeper supporting role.

However, this new move seems to support the fact it is clearly possible/desirable to have a partnership upfront.

Stumpy Tim

I've said it a few times, 3-5-2 or more accurately 3-4-1-2 would suit us. That's how Hoddle had England playing, and Venables played 3-5-2 with Anderton or Beckham on the right & Le Saux or Mcmanaman on the left. We have the players perfectly suited to it:

------------------Stockdale-------------------
-----Greer---------Hughes-----------Dunk------
Bruno-------Ince--------Crofts-----------Chicksen
-------------------Stephens--------------------
--------------COG-------CMS-------------------

And there's still Toko, Calderon, KLL, March etc who could slip in easily too

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
CMS in a supporting role? Madness I tell thee..... he might actually start playing to his strengths.
Three centre backs could definitely provide the cover Bruno often needs when he goes forward, and from what I've seen of Chicksen he definitely seems to have the engine to play this type of role.

IF, this is how we setup, then I'd be looking for new squad players (1st or 2nd choice) in the Bruno, Chicksen, Stephens and O'Grady role.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here