Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP is going to help keep the rich clubs rich.....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just an observation but it seems to me that rather than assist championship and lower league clubs and help them compete on a fair and level playing field. FFP is having the opposite effect and actually hindering clubs without exorbitant parachute which enable those clubs to cherry pick the best players available and put them in with a good chance of promotion. I know the parachute payments are a premier league issue, however it is still a major factor. I personally think the FFP is not going to work and will affect clubs like ourselves who are trying to adhere to the rules, but are failing at present to compete within FFP. If we fail to gain promotion and just languish in the championship attendances will start to fall and affect further affect our chances to compete. We are not the only club by any means.....

FFP = rich get richer

Discuss

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just an observation but it seems to me that rather than assist championship and lower league clubs and help them compete on a fair and level playing field. FFP is having the opposite effect and actually hindering clubs without exorbitant parachute which enable those clubs to cherry pick the best players available and put them in with a good chance of promotion. I know the parachute payments are a premier league issue, however it is still a major factor. I personally think the FFP is not going to work and will affect clubs like ourselves who are trying to adhere to the rules, but are failing at present to compete within FFP. If we fail to gain promotion and just languish in the championship attendances will start to fall and affect further affect our chances to compete. We are not the only club by any means.....

FFP = rich get richer

Discuss

And your alternative is?

The point is trying to make clubs operate on a sustainable basis rather than load themselves with debt on the gamble of promotion. There are very few owners who just pour money in and not require a return at the end of the day.

Football never has been and never could, operate on a level playing field. The only way would be to pool all the income from all clubs and divide it equally. It wouldn't happen.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If FFP is aimed at rich clubs, isn't this exactly what Brighton are? One of the richest owners (probably) and with one of the highest revenues excluding parachute payments. I'm sure there are lots of clubs who would love to have our income. Probably wouldn't want the debt though.

If a club with parachute payments gets promotion, doesn't this payment get shared amongst the rest of the clubs?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Just languish in the Championship....................holy moly. The past is indeed a different country.

Oct 25, 2003
for me the system simply doesn't work for three reasons:

1) the penalties for not complying with it are nowhere near strict enough so some teams see it as being a reasonable gamble to simply ignore FFP and go all out on getting promoted
2) parachute payments are way too high meaning that any team recently relegated from the premier league is already at a huge advantage as their income is inflated.
3) the premier league doesn't give a shit about it meaning that my first two points won't be resolved until they do (they won't)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Depends upon your definition of rich really. Most "rich" clubs are heavily in debt. Many clubs in receipt of parachute payments lose millions a year.

We are lucky in that we are not paying for our debt and our chairman will effectively write it off over time. Suitably enforced transfer embargoes will start to level the playing field - many of these clubs in the championship that are splashing the cash are doing so by loading the club with even more debt. Think what a state QPR would be in but for their lucky promotion, and even then, I bet they lose millions in the PL this season too.

It cannot possibly last with or without FFP - we will be better positioned than most once the shit hits the fan.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Depends upon your definition of rich really. Most "rich" clubs are heavily in debt. Many clubs in receipt of parachute payments lose millions a year.

We are lucky in that we are not paying for our debt and our chairman will effectively write it off over time. Suitably enforced transfer embargoes will start to level the playing field - many of these clubs in the championship that are splashing the cash are doing so by loading the club with even more debt. Think what a state QPR would be in but for their lucky promotion, and even then, I bet they lose millions in the PL this season too.

It cannot possibly last with or without FFP - we will be better positioned than most once the shit hits the fan.

So in essence you are saying Mr Bloom is playing the long game like a professional poker player and is prepared for a four or five year profit when these fines actually really start hurting clubs ?

This is the sensible thing to do with our club, however fickle fans may trickle away during that period of adjustment and waiting for Tony as such to lay his cards on the table and say "Full House" lets go for it so to speak...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

FFP = rich get richer

Discuss

Yep. In a nutshell.

The unholy imperfect storm of FFP and parachute payments is there to ensure the same clubs hover in or just outside the Premier League.

Of course 1 or 2 incompetents will still mess it up, but the system is designed to minimise their risk of doing so.

Ditch Parachute Payments ( or enforce a points deduction if a club has to draw on them to stop going bust ) , or ditch FFP.

One or the other has to go !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here