Will Buckley (potential)

Bought in Jan 14
Dale Stephens

Bought in Summer 14
David Stockdale
Aaron Hughes
Nzuzi Toko
Chris O’Grady

Im trying to get some perspective on where the club is going on the pitch.

Can my fellow NSCers please confirm the list of players included are factually accurate and perhaps add in the value of players bought and sold?

15 players out since Jan with only 5 coming in. Is this correct?

Our wage bill must be dramatically lower than it was before the Jan window now. We made money on the sale of Bridcutt, Barnes and even El Abd. We had a competitive budget before Sami was appointed, then the subsequent sale of Ulloa (£8m) which was not in the plans of the club. In addition to this the potential sale of Buckley (£2.5-3m assumed).

Thus far, we have spent say £2m this summer.

This leaves us with plenty of money to spend on transfers without falling foul of FFP, not to mention some breathing room on wages.

From what we are being told we need to stay patient as only quality will be added to the squad (question mark arises with McCourt) and that this will happen by the time the window closes. I am as concerned as the rest of you but feel we need to trust the board to make these signings as they seemingly have everything at their disposal to do so (££££?). So much more is going on behind the scenes than we know about, I’m sure.

The club have culled the fat (some of the fat was quality) and is looking to be rebuild in a more cost effective manner and sustainable over a period of time for the future of the club and to comply with FFP. Let’s not fault that.

The quality needs to come sooner rather than later and lets pray that it does. If it doesn’t we are in real trouble.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think that although we have reduced the squad a good deal, If we can sign Ward, another creative midfielder and a decent striker we will have a pretty good squad. They may have to be season loans. (I really hope we don't do 6 month loans.)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
To an extent we have become victims of our own success because Premiership clubs came calling and were persistent in chasing Bridcutt, Ulloa and Buckley. The chances of promotion for us have always been slim (look at the bookies odds) so inevitably they wanted to go and further their careers. This will always be the way (witness Bennett, Noone and Crofts before them).

We now have to bring in some talent, which will need paying for or otherwise momentum will be lost and we will struggle.

The Championship is a close division and games are cagey with clubs sitting back in defence and scoring on the break. That is what they seem to do to us too often anyway. A few quality players will make all the difference but we do need them NOW.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Two years ago we made a loss of around £15m. This year the maximum loss we are allowed to make under FFP is £5m. Even with additional sponsorship money it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out we need to reduce our costs. It's about time players and their agents realise unless a club is in The Premier League or has parachute payments, wage demands, signing on fees and agent commission will need to be reduced if average players are going to be picked up by non Premier League or ex Premier League clubs.

I would much rather we had a sustainable club and developed our own players over the next few years rather than waste money on over priced players who are paid far too much for the little ability they have. Many players can't even kick a ball with either foot or they just want the money without putting in a lot of effort to improve because they think they have "made it". Say for example we need to pay Ward a signing on fee, £10k a week in wages, an agent fee, besides Wolves wanting us to pay a loyalty bonus to ward due to him because he has not asked for a transfer. Is it really worth paying all that just to sign a left back who has had one good season in three?

larus

Can my fellow NSCers please confirm the list of players included are factually accurate and perhaps add in the value of players bought and sold?

Our wage bill must be dramatically lower than it was before the Jan window now. We made money on the sale of Bridcutt, Barnes and even El Abd. We had a competitive budget before Sami was appointed, then the subsequent sale of Ulloa (£8m) which was not in the plans of the club. In addition to this the potential sale of Buckley (£2.5-3m assumed).

This leaves us with plenty of money to spend on transfers without falling foul of FFP, not to mention some breathing room on wages.

From what we are being told we need to stay patient as only quality will be added to the squad (question mark arises with McCourt) and that this will happen by the time the window closes. I am as concerned as the rest of you but feel we need to trust the board to make these signings as they seemingly have everything at their disposal to do so (££££?). So much more is going on behind the scenes than we know about, I’m sure.

The club have culled the fat (some of the fat was quality) and is looking to be rebuild in a more cost effective manner and sustainable over a period of time for the future of the club and to comply with FFP. Let’s not fault that.

The quality needs to come sooner rather than later and lets pray that it does. If it doesn’t we are in real trouble.

That's a good post. We got bloated when Gus was here and I feel that we needed to prune the squad a bit. However, we need some extra quality that's clear. At present, I have faith that there are things going on behind the scene, and I don't need to be drip-fed what they're up to. I realise a lot of fans can't understand that and think it's their right to be informed of everytime that Burke makes a phone call. I like the way our negotiations are kept quiet as this shows a professional way of working, which will bring results.

If we don't make some good signings, then I think this season may be a struggle.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I agree with most of our actual activity in/out
It's the current lack of depth that is my main concern but on evidence below, I don't think things are as bad as we make out. As long as some quality is added this month.

Sold in Jan 14
Liam Bridcutt Agree with deal at valuation
Ashley Barnes Undecided whether good move for BHA
Adam El Abd Would've kept as good squad member

Released in the Summer (contracted)
Peter Brezovan, Agree
Will Hoskins, Would've offered him pay as you play deal for a year - try recoup investment
Tomasz Kuszczak, Makes sense with new no 1 brought in
Andrea Orlandi, Until decent replacement brought in, undecided whether a good move
David Lopez Agree. His time was up for me - limited contributions
David Rodriguez Agree. Did nothing
Matt Upson Agree. Club had no option.

Released in the Summer (loan)
Keith Andrews Agree
Jesse Lingard Would be nice to have had him in squad. Beyond our control to-date
Stephen Ward Would be nice to have had him in squad. Beyond our control to-date

Sold in Summer 14
Leonardo Ulloa Agree for the fee. At least £3-5m needs to be reinvested though.
Will Buckley (potential) Agree. Makes sense to me as he is simply unreliable as squad member now

Bought in Jan 14
Dale Stephens Agree. Started to show signs of being useful player.

Bought in Summer 14
David Stockdale Good signing
Aaron Hughes Seems a sensible experienced acquisition
Nzuzi Toko Potential to be good signing
Chris O’Grady Undecided - as a Barnes replacement, seems ok

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sold in Jan 14
Liam Bridcutt
Ashley Barnes
Adam El Abd

Released in the Summer (contracted)
Peter Brezovan,
Will Hoskins,
Tomasz Kuszczak,
Andrea Orlandi,
David Lopez
David Rodriguez
Matt Upson

Released in the Summer (loan)
Keith Andrews
Jesse Lingard
Stephen Ward

Sold in Summer 14
Leonardo Ulloa
Will Buckley (potential)

Bought in Jan 14
Dale Stephens

Bought in Summer 14
David Stockdale
Aaron Hughes
Nzuzi Toko
Chris O’Grady

Shouldn't David Lopex and Jesse Lingard be added to the 'signed in Jan 2014' section, as should Jonnie Obika, who should also be included in the released.

*Pedant*

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
LuaLua was an impact player under Poyet. Now he's our first choice winger. Doesn't that show we're going backwards?

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Six regulars released: Ulloa, Barnes or Lingard (can't count both) PIG, Bridcutt or Andrews (can't count both) Upson, Ward

Four replacements: O'Grady, Stephens, Hughes, Stockdale.

The two who haven't been replaced are Ulloa and Ward (as noted 100 times before). And as Ulloa only came in because CMS was injured you could say he isn't needed now CMS is back.

So to clarify for you, we are pretty much where we have been the past two seasons, when we have been the only team to make the playoffs both years. Just need to sign Ward.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just when you get used to all the outs and then start building the positivity we get massively kicked in the balls again.

Buckley gone , Clayton now Boro.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Six regulars released: Ulloa, Barnes or Lingard (can't count both) PIG, Bridcutt or Andrews (can't count both) Upson, Ward

Four replacements: O'Grady, Stephens, Hughes, Stockdale.

The two who haven't been replaced are Ulloa and Ward (as noted 100 times before). And as Ulloa only came in because CMS was injured you could say he isn't needed now CMS is back.

So to clarify for you, we are pretty much where we have been the past two seasons, when we have been the only team to make the playoffs both years. Just need to sign Ward.

Ulloa signed in January 2013, Mackail -Smith wasn't injured until March. Ulloa was Murrays replacement just 18 months late.

Anyway ,it's not just about replacing regulars is it? As Poyet was fond of saying a squad needs 2 players competing for each position

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
How so? Does that not show that he has developed as a player and is more than an impact player?

No. It shows that we've lost players who were better than him. And those players haven't been replaced. I have nothing against LuaLua, and I would have actually gave him more opportunities. But players like Bennett, Noone and Buckley have offered so many more goals + assists. You could even argue Lingard and Conway were better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here