Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Cheltenham

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bit worrying that we took until the 89th minute to score against a League 2 team .... but at least a better result than a year ago vs Newport County.

Poor performance until Lua Lua came in the 68th minute.

Stockdale 6. Really had very little to do, but what he did he did well.
Calderon 6. Decent enough performance. More joy with his forward runs than on Saturday, but then consider the opposition.
Greer 7. MOM. Good defensive performance; much improved distribution; joins the attack with positive results. Amazing transformation!
Dunk 7. Solid; good distribution; well taken goal. Should be first choice CB, but who to drop?
Chicksen 6. Much better performance than against S'oton, but then again this was League 2 opposition.
Ince 6. OK. Still not at his best.
JFC 4. He keeps being selected and he continually disappoints. Poor distribution and crap corners.
Bruno 4. No more a midfielder than a defender.
Agustein 3. One or two good touches, but overall consistently poor. He cannot continue to be selected. He's now had his chances and proved he really is not good enough.
CMS 5. Poor ball control when put through on goal in the 2nd half. Much running around to little effect. Nicely taken goal.
O'Grady 6. Played well again except for a couple of poor touches. I think he will do well.

Subs:
KLL 7. Made the difference when he came on.
Maksimenko & Fenelon: Why bring on two subs during two minutes of added time when you're 2-0 up??? Bizarre.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
PLAYER RATINGS vs CHELTENHAM

Stockdale 6 - noting to do, but passing excellent better than most of the outfield players
Calderon 6 - happier at right back
Chicksen 7 - one of the better performers, delivered two great crosses. Probably best I've seen him play for the club
Greer 7 - Commanding - great start to the season
Dunk 6 - well taken goal and steady throughout
Ince 5 - some nice things, some poor things. An indifferent start to the season for me.
Bruno 6 - Most of the creativity came from him and there wasn't much of that
JFC 5 - passing better tonight, but his dead-ball delivery is simply shocking.
Kemy 5 - Tired, ok-ish in the first half, but really not great
COG - 5 - just not coming off for him. I think he could be ok, but needs a goal.
CMS - 6 - well taken goal, made some good runs, but nobody found him.

KLL - 7 - game changer

Overall - Just a shocking dire performance. Not much in terms of teamwork for me. Little width, team lacking in confidence and certainly no apparent pattern of play.

We need new faces in urgently and we need to improve otherwise this will be a painfully long season.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Missed the game due to last minute family issues but commentary on player certainly praised Chicksen. If so I'm really pleased for him. General opinion during pre-season was that he's not developing as well as we hoped but a good performance can lead to better confidence. That can make all the difference.

Re Greer, I thought he was one of the stand out performances vs Wednesday. Nearly scored and nearly assisted as well. Would love him to prove the doubters wrong and clearly has respect for SH.

Ruffy

Jun 24, 2014
Agree. Chicksen seemed to enjoy himself tonight, but seemed to get fed up with JFC trying to boss him about. To be honest, I think JFC has been taking lessons from Kemi. I wasn't sure when Kaz came on which one of the pair I wanted to go off more.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Broadly agree with this. Quite enjoyed the second half in particular, we played with more urgency. Kemy has to go, utter gash.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stockdale 6 - noting to do, but passing excellent better than most of the outfield players
Chicksen 7 - one of the better performers, delivered two great crosses. Probably best I've seen him play for the club
Ince 5 - some nice things, some poor things. An indifferent start to the season for me.
COG - 5 - just not coming off for him. I think he could be ok, but needs a goal.

KLL - 7 - game changer

Overall - Just a shocking dire performance. Not much in terms of teamwork for me. Little width, team lacking in confidence and certainly no apparent pattern of play.

We need new faces in urgently and we need to improve otherwise this will be a painfully long season.

Agree with these scores and comments.

JFCs incompetence with set pieces cannot be overstated, although his all round game tonight was better than usual. The opening goal came from the first decent set piece, a corner taken by Lua Lua.

I expected us to lose so I was quite pleasantly surprised but without quality new players a relegation scrap beckons, we are already a League One side up front, Lua Lua apart.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bit worrying that we took until the 89th minute to score against a League 2 team .... but at least a better result than a year ago vs Newport County.

Poor performance until Lua Lua came in the 68th minute.

Stockdale 6. Really had very little to do, but what he did he did well.
Calderon 6. Decent enough performance. More joy with his forward runs than on Saturday, but then consider the opposition.
Greer 7. MOM. Good defensive performance; much improved distribution; joins the attack with positive results. Amazing transformation!
Dunk 7. Solid; good distribution; well taken goal. Should be first choice CB, but who to drop?
Chicksen 6. Much better performance than against S'oton, but then again this was League 2 opposition.
Ince 6. OK. Still not at his best.
JFC 4. He keeps being selected and he continually disappoints. Poor distribution and crap corners.
Bruno 4. No more a midfielder than a defender.
Agustein 3. One or two good touches, but overall consistently poor. He cannot continue to be selected. He's now had his chances and proved he really is not good enough.
CMS 5. Poor ball control when put through on goal in the 2nd half. Much running around to little effect. Nicely taken goal.
O'Grady 6. Played well again except for a couple of poor touches. I think he will do well.

Subs:
KLL 7. Made the difference when he came on.
Maksimenko & Fenelon: Why bring on two subs during two minutes of added time when you're 2-0 up??? Bizarre.

I agree with almost all that altho COG a 5 as nothing seemed to come off in the end. Kaz a 8 - changed the game. Was good to see Chicksen running at people occasionally but he's too lightweight & just not quite good enough. As someone said tonight, he doesn't seem to believe he's good enough himself either. Sooooo true!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I don't like to lambast players but.....Agestein, Chicksen & Forster Caskey just don't have the quality we desperately need..... Bruno and Calderon are starting to look really quite past it..... On the plus side while OGrady appears a trolley....I am warming to him - decent control and has played others through/flicked on some decent balls. Needs a goal though. CMS does not look anywhere near a 2/3 mill player but there were a few glimpses of quality this evening, if we can pass him the through balls he desperately needs. We are so over reliant on Kaz now it's shocking. Early days though. I enjoyed the last 20 mins.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree with these scores and comments.

JFCs incompetence with set pieces cannot be overstated, although his all round game tonight was better than usual. The opening goal came from the first decent set piece, a corner taken by Lua Lua.

I expected us to lose so I was quite pleasantly surprised but without quality new players a relegation scrap beckons, we are already a League One side up front, Lua Lua apart.

Do you know what, so did I........

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
For a large part of the game there was no difference in the two teams-----a neutral would not have picked us out as a Premier Ready Team:lolol:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Stockdale 6 - nothing to do
Calderon 6 - see Stockdale.
Chicksen 7 - lively. Certainly took the opportunity to impress but again, nothing to do defensively
Greer 8 - MOTM (again). Wonderful in possession. Makes things look so easy
Dunk 7 - good header, untroubled defensively
Ince 7 - the pick of our midfield. Did the basics well.
Bruno 5 - flashes of brilliance, long patches of anonymity
JFC 5 - My god, that free kick!!! One lovely pass in the first half but if this kid is the best England have at centre mid at under 20 level we are in trouble
Kemy - 5 - 6 first half, 4 second. I like the things he tries, but he just never succeeds
COG - 5 - worked hard but had little impact on the game
CMS - 5 - I left on 88 minutes. It would be fair to say I was surprised to hear he had scored

KLL - 7 - impact sub. Unfortunately still his best role

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Lua Lua delivers balls with pace, and tonight they were not too deep. JFC alas hit numerous dead balls wherever and they were floated. Gives everyone an age to handle it. That said, IMHO Kaz is still an impact player since the difference he made tonight was miles from his performance on Saturday

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
PLAYER RATINGS vs CHELTENHAM

KLL - 7 - game changer

Agree with these but would of given Ince a 7 as he owned the midfield and Kemy a 3 as he was pathetic

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
For a large part of the game there was no difference in the two teams-----a neutral would not have picked us out as a Premier Ready Team:lolol:

I'm not sure that's completely fair. Whilst we were largely unimpressive they created nothing and never threatened. There was only one potential winner

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stockdale N/A Had the easiest game of his life
Calderon 6. better in his proper position and far better than the one who had it Saturday
Greer 6. Our most attacking player for the second game.
Dunk 7. Good, got a goal sorry son your dropped
Chicksen 6. Only one to show a degree of urgency in the first half. Sorry son your dropped
Ince 7 MOM.
JFC 3.Awful and his distribution beggars belief
Bruno 0 Waste of a position in the team
Agustein 1 Marginally better than Bruno but not by much
CMS 5. Headless but did finish well
O'Grady 5 ok

Subs:
KLL 7.How dare you look dangerous out on the wing. KILL HIM

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
As much as I want JFC to succeed his free kicks and corners were poor tonight. He needs a goal to give him some confidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here