Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunky first professional goal tonight...worth a thread of its own

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Should be starting. We lost Elphick, Cook and Hall because of this obsession with older centre halves. Greer was great tonight though.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hey, maybe we have unearthed another Henri, he started in defence until Wenger got hold of him.
35 goals this season and sell him to Man City for 20 million.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
He's ready to start regularly now,but we'll still play the pensioners.

Sadly i think you are right. personally i feel that if we are not capable of challenging for the play-offs as it currently seems, we should place an emphasis on developing our young players for a push next year as it will provide essential match fitness, personal development and help them gel as part of the team. tonight it was really positive to see that 5 of our starters were 22 or younger, we need to keep this going and it is concerning that the average age of our back line at the weekend was 33 which is far too old to be competitive, you need a mix of experience and youth. also if we did get promoted our back line would have to be entirely replaced so what is the point of playing these old guys week in week out, Dunk has the potential the same as Cook had yet sadly we let the latter go.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
Hey, maybe we have unearthed another Henri, he started in defence until Wenger got hold of him.
35 goals this season and sell him to Man City for 20 million.

sorry what? Henry did not play in defence for either Monaco, Juventus or France internationally prior to his arrival at Arsenal...

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
That would make more sense but i was still under the impression that he was signed by Monaco as an offensive player.
You would be absolutely correct in that. He was turned from a winger into a striker, not from a defender ffs. It's just another desperate, idiotic statement in an attempt to crowbar in another dig at the club.

FWIW I thought Dunk was brilliant tonight. Composed on the ball, strong in the tackle, dominant in the air, really vocal and has a yard of pace about him. Admittedly only against L2 oppo but he was great 2011/12 and it's about time he was trusted as a first choice centre half. Potentially a future captain imo.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
You would be absolutely correct in that. He was turned from a winger into a striker, not from a defender ffs. It's just another desperate, idiotic statement in an attempt to crowbar in another dig at the club.

FWIW I thought Dunk was brilliant tonight. Composed on the ball, strong in the tackle, dominant in the air, really vocal and has a yard of pace about him. Admittedly only against L2 oppo but he was great 2011/12 and it's about time he was trusted as a first choice centre half. Potentially a future captain imo.

It is good to hear a positive assessment of Dunk, like you said he was great in 2011/12 and whilst he made a couple of notable errors this was minimal considering his age, there was a reason big premiership clubs were circling. Whilst Poyet did wonders for us i did resent the fact that he stagnated both Dunk and Forster-Caskey's development in our second championship season; he barely gave a game to either of them and didn't introduce any young blood which both Garcia, and Hyypia thus far, strived to do. Poyet lost us Elphick who was Brighton through and through (considering the injury perhaps excusable), Steve Cook who looked really good but was sold on the cheap to Bournemouth where he is performing to a high standard, and Grant Hall who was admittedly a bit stupid to expect more time at Spurs and we got a fair bit of money but the fact is we were left with a very old defence and no real defensive prospects to bring through. Poyet shot Dunk's confidence after that Liverpool defeat and the red card at Palace, after which he barely got a sniff at the first team even when we had no cbs, and i truly believe if he had been given a constant starting berth he would be a top defender for us now. I hope he is made first choice too and i would love to see a Brighton youth academy product captain the side.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm a big fan of Dunk and he had a good game again tonight. Only issue is the two at CB are playing just as well, it's a shame all 3 can't play. I reckon there could be more rotation in that position this year as Dunk has a lot more experience now

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It would have some doing to head that one over the bar, which is his preferred objective, so it normally appears.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here