Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipads, flasks and bottles containing more than 500ml of water banned from Old Trafford

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Manchester United fans are no longer allowed to bring iPads and “large electronic devices” to Old Trafford. In an email circulated to supporters before Tuesday night’s friendly against Valencia, the club instructed fans to leave their tablets at home: “Supporters cannot bring large electronic devices (bigger than 150mmx100mm) inside the stadium. For example, iPads or other tablet devices and laptops are now prohibited. Also please be aware that large bags, large cameras and liquids (with the exception of a small bottle of water with the top removed) are included in our list of prohibited items.”

Old Trafford’s list of banned items would make any self-respecting airline jealous. Among other things, fans are not allowed to bring canned drinks, dark plastic bottles, drink cartons, drinking glasses, glass bottles, flasks, water in excess of 500ml, baby buggies, prams, camcorders, darts, fireworks, flares, knives, weapons, large bags or suitcases, large umbrellas, flags or banners greater than 2m x 1m or of an offensive nature, poles, sticks, tools, radios, smoke or gas canisters, and telescopic or long-lens cameras to the stadium.

The club have now added tablet devices to that list. Presumably the ban is in place to stop fans from recording the action, but the new rule could affect people who have travelled to the game from work, or as part of a weekend away, or those who have brought along their device to entertain kids on the long train journey to the stadium.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ed-ban-fans-ipads-tablet-devices-old-trafford

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I actually agree with the iPad ban. I'm tired of having my view blocked by muppets trying to take pictures with iPads - this especially seems to be the done thing at concerts. I haven't encountered this at a football game yet, but had noticed on MOTD that it was particularly prevalent at Old Trafford.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I try to be even more annoying by taking pictures with my Macbook Air.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Why on earth would you take an iPad to the footy? There's little more plastic than all the phones in the air pointing at player taking corner.....

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Is it just me who thinks the rule about having the cap of a water bottle removed is the most idiotic rule any jobsworth thought of?

Especially as probably the easiest thing to conceal when entering the ground is a spare bottle cap? :whistle:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why on earth would you take an iPad to the footy? There's little more plastic than all the phones in the air pointing at player taking corner.....

A bottle is going to travel further with liquid and the cap on. It's quite a weapon.

Granted, very easy to take your own spare lid.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why on earth would you take an iPad to the footy?

Towards the back end of last season, there used to always be a little girl, 9 or 10 years old maybe, in the North Stand concourse studiously bashing away at her tablet, maybe doing her homework, bless her, while her parent(s) or guardian(s) doubtless scoffed beer nearby and her brother(s) joined in the impromptu game of wellying empty coke bottles at all and sundry. Good girl!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I've seen a few little girls with iPads at the Amex.
Sometimes videoing the game too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems a bit harsh for visiting Fans who have brought a tablet along to be used on the train journey, rather than videoing the game.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
they will be banning clackers next
whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I must admit, it does bloody hurt when you do get hit with one, as I know with personal experience

I'll second that, fell asleep holding one and it slipped through my fingers and slid down like a guillotine blade, whacking me on the bridge of the nose.

As for the "no tools" rule, doesn't that rule out half of their fans ?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'll second that, fell asleep holding one and it slipped through my fingers and slid down like a guillotine blade, whacking me on the bridge of the nose.

As for the "no tools" rule, doesn't that rule out half of their fans ?

One was actually thrown at me with force, hard to explain a straight line bruise across your face

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was going to say I'm perfectly happy with a ban on iPads, as it's an increasing annoyance at football (or in fact any event) when you have people holding the bloody things up to take pictures.

Then somebody made the point about keeping kids occupied. Not that they should be doing anything other than watching the football of course, but if someone's kid was sat in front of me and it was a choice between him/her screaming the place down or quietly tapping away at Angry Birds, then I think Angry Birds is the winner for me.

Perhaps iPads can only be banned for the over eighteens. No, scratch that. The over fives.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Seems a bit harsh for visiting Fans who have brought a tablet along to be used on the long train journey, rather than videoing the game.

At Old Trafford that would apply to most 'home' fans wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here