Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A new season warning about your postings

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In a recent meeting of Football League clubs, one discussion focused on social media (including message boards) and a growing trend of fans using these outlets to defame clubs and their key employees.

It could be the case that over the course of this season a test case is pursued to, at the very least, make other fans take a more considered approach in what they write. Criticism, strongly expressed or otherwise, is always fine and like most good clubs, I'm sure the Albion like to be told where something has gone wrong so they can try and make improvements. That does not excuse the use of unfounded defamation however.

I don't want NSC and/or an NSCer to be the subject of any legal action from the Albion or another party - it wouldn't be much fun. I do enjoy a positive working relationship with the club but that's certainly not going to make me, or you, immune if you go too far with what you post.

So please give thought to what you write and how you write it, particularly when writing about others. If you express something as fact, you should be 100% sure that what you are writing is correct. That someone told you something has happened or they saw something happened won't be good enough if you are put to the test.

Most people who use NSC have nothing to worry about, but there is a small minority who do need to take more care, and this is a gentle warning to do so.

I'll leave this thread unstuck and open because it's more likely to be seen by others if it's bouncing around.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The lickers can still live in their fantasy land whilst the nappy brigade will have the threat of legal action to add to their fears.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we are the many
they are the few
and they can not control what you think

or can they?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't know much about defamation but here's a picture of a kitten.

cat-happy-cat-e1329931204797.jpg

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The day the club takes legal action over one of its own fans about expressing their views is a sad day indeed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What a sad day.

The lickers can still live in their fantasy land whilst the nappy brigade will have the threat of legal action to add to their fears.

1-0 to the lickers.

I really don't think it changes anything for most people where posts that could be taken as negative as they contain concerns or criticisms are either written very explicitly as opinion or based on first-hand knowledge they have.

As I say, there are a small number of people on NSC (and beyond) who seem to believe they are beyond reproach when, quite simply, they are not.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1-0 to the lickers.

What a sad day.

The day the club takes legal action over one of its own fans about expressing their views is a sad day indeed.

Have a think.

Nobody is going to get pulled up by the club they support, for writing on a message board, that the Director of Football is rubbish at spotting players, or that a midfielder is Fat, or that the price of beer had gone up too much.

It is merely being suggested that if you are making claims in a public domain, that a NAMED employee has acted in a specific illegal / immoral / negligent manner, that you need to be very sure of your facts.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

They won't take legal action over fans expressing their views. What they can do, is take legal action over fans writing things that are false, and libellous. This is nothing new- Gull's Eye anyone?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
It sounds like someone from the club has had a quiet word with Bozza which shows that they do read what is written on here.

Although I know some people go too far and most of us are unhappy with the signings made so far it is a sad day when the club start issuing threats to its own supporters, Im not one who normally criticises like some on here but I am beginning to lose a bit of faith with the club at the moment.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It's a dark day when you can't libel someone you've never met and have no real idea what they do on a public internet forum.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here