Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

league cup memories!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Beating Ipswich 2-1 at the Goldstone and then the 4th round draw with the then mighty Derby. Also being stuck on a train whilst we lost to Forest.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Kurt Nogan getting the winner against (in my young innocent eyes) the MASSIVE premier league Leicester City at the Goldstone.

One that I tend to mention a lot, though not for the game itself, was Southampton at Withdean on September 11th 2001. No chance of a cup upset that night, quite surreal atmosphere.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I remember being at the Goldstone as a teenager when we beat newly promoted Premier League Leicester under Brian Little in a second round, first leg tie in 1994. Nogan scoring from a Minton pull-back at the Southstand end. Kevin Poole appealing to the linesman as he thought Minton hadn't kept the ball in play. Listened to the second leg on the radio. A Stuart Munday scorcher, Nogan again from a McDougald cut-back and Case given his marching orders for curious reasons on our way to a memorable victory. We lost to Swindon in the next round. Have a feeling we beat Wycombe in the first round. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Kurt Nogan getting the winner against (in my young innocent eyes) the MASSIVE premier league Leicester City at the Goldstone.

One that I tend to mention a lot, though not for the game itself, was Southampton at Withdean on September 11th 2001. No chance of a cup upset that night, quite surreal atmosphere.

Snap

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Beating Ipswich 2-1 at the Goldstone and then the 4th round draw with the then mighty Derby. Also being stuck on a train whilst we lost to Forest.

About 7000 at forest and a thousand stuck on two trains I don't know how they would have fitted the 1000 in it was packed.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
For seem reason one that I always remember is a defeat to Gillingham on penalties at the Goldstone (87?). We scored and they had their keeper sent off all in the first couple of minutes. They put some midget full-back in goal, who proceeded to keep us out comfortably all match and then pulled off a couple of saves in the shootout.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The game vs big spending Man City at Withdean

Wasn't that the season where, in two consecutive rounds of the League Cup, we were treated to the glorious sights of a) a post-match pitch invasion by a bloke in an invalid car and b) H Block stewards pulling some pissed-up bloke's false leg off while trying to eject him. Marvellous scenes! :lol:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Wasn't that the season where, in two consecutive rounds of the League Cup, we were treated to the glorious sights of a) a post-match pitch invasion by a bloke in an invalid car and b) H Block stewards pulling some pissed-up bloke's false leg off while trying to eject him. Marvellous scenes! :lol:

You are correct about point A. There was a video of the incident on here of it at the time. Re point B I am not sure if the poor chap has his leg pulled off that night, however it certianly occured on another occasion when I was in block H (for the Man City game I was further down on the South stand)

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
League Champs Derby at home, (1977?). Charlie George clean through in first minute, Grummitt saves brilliantly. Ward scoring after 2 minutes, noisiest night on the Chicken run ever. 33,000+. Got there about 2 hours before ko to secure place. No beer, no pies, no meal deals, no special trains, if you went to toilet you lost your place. No segregation, Derby fans arriving late running up and down the aisles trying to glimpse the match. George equalises, money spinning replay at Baseball Ground.

Drawing 1-1 with Man U at Goldstone, about 92, Beckham's debut.

Brazilian Jo warming up as sub at the Withdean for City.

CMS getting an ET winner to beat Sunderland.

PG

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
West Brom away, Ipswich, and then Derby at home (didn't go to the replay). My greatest-ever Albion nights in my all-time favourite Albion season. *Sigh*.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
League Champs Derby at home, (1977?). Charlie George clean through in first minute, Grummitt saves brilliantly. Ward scoring after 2 minutes, noisiest night on the Chicken run ever. 33,000+. Got there about 2 hours before ko to secure place. No beer, no pies, no meal deals, no special trains, if you went to toilet you lost your place. No segregation, Derby fans arriving late running up and down the aisles trying to glimpse the match. George equalises, money spinning replay at Baseball Ground.

Drawing 1-1 with Man U at Goldstone, about 92, Beckham's debut.

Brazilian Jo warming up as sub at the Withdean for City.

CMS getting an ET winner to beat Sunderland.

PG
Yeah, we had a reputation in those days. The report of the Derby game in the Daily Mail started: "Derby came face-to-face with Brighton and their famed crowd last night". It'll be a long time before anyone says that about the Amex.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I don't know why Zamora's goal was disallowed!

Same with the Tawse one against Chelsea in the sixties. Completely dumbfounded about the decisions.

Watching Beattie deal with Tony Towner at Portman Road was an education. As was the train route and a tour of the less salubrious parts of London by train.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't know why Zamora's goal was disallowed!

Same with the Tawse one against Chelsea in the sixties. Completely dumbfounded about the decisions.

Watching Beattie deal with Tony Towner at Portman Road was an education. As was the train route and a tour of the less salubrious parts of London by train.

What did Kevin Beattie do?

boik

About 7000 at forest and a thousand stuck on two trains I don't know how they would have fitted the 1000 in it was packed.

Look what I found in the loft only yesterday....

BHAFC_Forest_s.jpgBHAFC_Forest_s.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yeah, we had a reputation in those days. The report of the Derby game in the Daily Mail started: "Derby came face-to-face with Brighton and their famed crowd last night". It'll be a long time before anyone says that about the Amex.

I don't think anyone will EVER say that about the Amex. It isn't purely a Brighton thing, since the advent of all seating stadia football seems to have changed There are very few grounds, (if any), with an intimidatory atmosphere, that used to exist in the seventies and eighties.

Football has changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here